The relative role of density-dependent and density-independent survival in the life cycle of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 751–762, September 1998
How to Cite
Jonsson, N., Jonsson, B. and Hansen, L. P. (1998), The relative role of density-dependent and density-independent survival in the life cycle of Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 751–762. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00237.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1996 Alternative models of climatic effects on sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka, productivity in Bristol Bay, Alaska, and the Fraser River, British Columbia. Fisheries Oceanography, 5, 137 152. , , , ,
- Anonymous 1978) Nordic Committee on Food Analysis (NMKL), 93, 1 3.
- Anonymous 1981 Determination of Kjeldahl nitrogen content with Kjeltec auto systems 1, 2, 3 and 4. Tecator Application Note AN, 30, 1 4.
- Anonymous 1987 Determination of total crude fat in plant materials and feeding stuffs with the Soxtec Hydrolyzing system. Tecator Application Note AN, 92, 1 6.
- 1997 Production of Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in relation to decadal-scale changes in the climate and the ocean. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 54, 543 554. , ,
- 1981 The descriptive properties of some models for density dependence. Journal of Animal Ecology, 50, 139 156.
- 1957 On the dynamics of exploited fish populations. Fishery Investigations, London Series, 2 (19), 1 533. &
- 1992 Precision of recruitment predictions from early life stages of marine fishes. Fishery Bulletin, U.S., 90, 439 453.
- 1984 The relation between stock size and progeny of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., in a Scottish stream. Journal of Fish Biology, 24, 1 11. &
- 1955 Tagging of salmon smolts in the river Lagan. Institute of Freshwater Research Drottningholm, Report, 36, 57 74.
- 1985 The influence of spawning stock on production and yield of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., in Canadian rivers. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, 1, 111 119.
- 1978 Production in fish populations. Ecology of Freshwater Fish Production (ed. S.D.Gerking), pp. 5 25. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1986 Life history evolution in a ‘;recruitment population’: why are adult mortality rate constant? Oikos, 47, 129 134.
- 1980 Growth and production of the 1955–72 cohorts of perch, Perca fluviatilis L., in Windermere. Journal of Animal Ecology, 49, 291 315.
- 1987The Biology of the Perch and Related Fish. Broom Helm, London.
- 1978 Comparative estimations of the energy content of fish tissue from bomb calorimetry, wet oxidation and proximate analysis. Fresh-Water Biology, 8, 585 590. , ,
- 1995 The relationship between a summer fry (0+) abundance index, derived from semi-quantitative electrofishing, and egg deposition of Atlantic salmon, in the River Bush, Northern Ireland. Journal of Fish Biology, 47, 1055 1062. &
- 1973 The dependence of recruitment on parent stock. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 30, 1965 76.
- 1981Fisheries Biology. A Study in Population Dynamics. University of Wisconsin press, Madison.
- 1988 The study of stock and recruitment. Fish Population Dynamics, 2nd edn(ed. J.A.Gulland), pp. 105 128. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester.
- 1996Towards a Science of Recruitment in Fish Populations. Ecology Institute, Oldendorf.
- 1973 Stock and recruitment and the problem of density dependence. Rapports et Procès-Verbaux Des Réunions. Conseil International Poor L″Exploration de la Mer, 164, 142 155. &
- 1975Animal Population Ecology. Academic Press, London.
- 1985 The choice of a stock–recruitment model for migratory trout, Salmo trutta, in an English Lake District stream. Archiv für Hydrobiologie, 104, 145 168.
- 1989 The natural regulation of numbers and growth in contrasting populations of brown trout, Salmo trutta, in two Lake District streams. Freshwater Biology, 21, 7 19.
- 1994Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1998 Population regulation in adult, but not juvenile, resident trout (Salmo trutta) in a Lake District stream. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67, 280 286. &
- 1975 Atlantic salmon rivers, smolt production and optimal spawning: an overview of natural production. International Atlantic Salmon Foundation Special Publication Series, 6, 96 119.
- 1975 The Foyle Fisheries: New Bases for Rational Management. Special Report to the Foyle Fisheries Commission, Londonderry, Northern Ireland. &
- 1997 Effects of early experience on the reproductive performance of Atlantic salmon. Behavioral Ecology, 8, 470 480. , ,
- 1991 Recruitment variability and the dynamics of exploited marine populations. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 6, 241 246. , ,
- 1994 The energy budget, niche shift, reproduction and growth in a population of Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 63, 116 126. , ,
- 1994 Fisheries ecology in the context of ecological and evolutionary theory. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 25, 401 22. &
- 1998 Marine temperatures experienced by postsmolts and the survival of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., in the North Sea area. Fisheries Oceanography, 7, 22 34. , ,
- 1972The Cichlid Fishes of the Great Lakes of Africa. Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh. &
- 1991 Stock and recruitment and inversely density-dependent growth of salmon, Salmo salar L., in a Scottish stream. Journal of Fish Biology, 38, 691 696. &
- 1978 The production of juvenile Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, in the Upper Wye, Wales. Journal of Fish Biology, 13, 439 451. , ,
- 1956 The relation between density regulation and natural selection. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 145, 306 308.
- 1986 Asymmetrical competition between age classes as a factor causing population oscillations in an obligate planktivorous fish species. Oikos, 47, 223 232. &
- 1988 Effect of Carlin tagging and fin clipping on survival of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) released as smolts. Aquaculture, 70, 391 394.
- 1993 High numbers of farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., observed in oceanic waters north of the Faroe Islands. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, 24, 777 781. , ,
- 1989 Salmon ranching experiments in the River Imsa: returns of different stocks to the fishery and to River Imsa. Aquaculture – a Biotechnology in Progress (eds N.De Pauw, E.Jaspers, H.Ackefors, N.Wilkins), pp. 445 452. European Aquaculture Society, Bredene, Belgium. &
- 1997 The incidence of reared Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) of fish farm origin at West Greenland. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 54, 152 155. , ,
- 1995 Climate change and salmon production in the northeast Pacific Ocean. Climate Change and Northern Fish Populations (ed. R.J.Beamish), pp. 357 372. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 121, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa. &
- 1991 Estimates of the annual loss of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., in Norway due to acidification. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, 22, 85 91. &
- 1992Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment. Chapman & Hall, New York. &
- 1991 Genetic effects of cultured fish on natural fish populations. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 48, 945 957. , ,
- 1986 Infestations of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar, by Gyrodactylus salaris in Norwegian rivers. Journal of Fish Biology, 29, 233 241. &
- 1976 Comparison of scales and otoliths for age determination in brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Norwegian Journal of Zoology, 24, 295 301.
- 1997 A review of ecological and behavioural interactions between cultured and wild Atlantic salmon. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 54, 1031 1039.
- 1993 Partial migration: niche shift versus sexual maturation in fishes. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 3, 348 365. &
- 1996 Does early growth cause a phenotypically plastic response in egg production of Atlantic salmon? Functional Ecology, 10, 89 96. , ,
- 1991a Differences in life history and migratory behaviour between wild and hatchery-reared Atlantic salmon in nature. Aquaculture, 98, 69 78. , ,
- 1991b Variation in age, size and repeat spawning of adult Atlantic salmon in relation to river discharge. Journal of Animal Ecology, 60, 937 947. , ,
- 1997 Changes in proximate composition and estimates of energetic costs during upstream migration and spawning in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 425 436. , ,
- 1989 Downstream displacement and life history variables of Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus) in a Norwegian river. Physiology and Ecology Japan, Special Volume, 1, 93 105. , ,
- 1993 Juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) – production and prediction. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 118, 179 187. &
- 1995 Factors affecting recruitment success in salmonids. The Ecological Basis for River Management (eds D.MHarper & A.J.D.Ferguson), pp. 349 362. John Wiley, Chichester. &
- 1986 Fish production in rivers: a review. Polskie Archivum Hydrobiologii, 33, 233 247. &
- 1983 Determination of glucose, sucrose, lactose and ethanol in foods and beverages, using immobilized enzyme electrodes. Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 66, 981 984.
- 1981 Models for single populations. Theoretical Ecology: Principles and Applications (ed. R.M.May), pp. 5 29. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1990 Determinants of geographical variation in the age of seaward-migrating salmon, Salmo salar. Journal of Animal Ecology, 59, 135 145. &
- 1994 Adaptation and constraint in the complex life cycles of animals. Annual Reviews of Ecology and Systematics, 25, 573 600.
- 1982 On the meaning of density dependence. Oecologia, 53, 370 373.
- 1986 Population regulation in sparrowhawks. Journal of Animal Ecology, 55, 463 480. &
- 1980 Dynamics of native Indian food fisheries on salmon in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 37, 561 566.
- 1981 Form of random variation in salmon smolt-to-adult relations and its influence on production estimates. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 38, 1113 1119.
- 1984 Homing and straying in chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) from Cowlitz River Hatchery, Washington. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 41, 1078 1082. &
- 1954 Stock and recruitment. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 11, 559 623.
- 1975 Computation and interpretation of biological statistics of fish populations. Bulletin of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 191, 1 382.
- 1979 Growth rates and models. Fish Physiology, Vol. 8 (eds W.S.Hoar, D.J.Randall & J.R.Brett), pp. 677 743. Academic Press, New York.
- 1989 History and present state of the odd-year pink salmon runs of the Fraser River region. Canadian Technical Report, Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 1702, 1 37.
- 1986Dynamics of Marine Fish Populations. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1958 Factors causing decline in sockeye salmon of Karluk River, Alaska. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Fishery Bulletin, 58, 83 169.
- 1991 Year-class fluctuations in vendace, Coregonus albula (Linnaeus): Who's got the upper hand in intraspecific competition? Journal of Fish Biology, 38, 873 885. , , ,
- 1958 Spawning stock size and resultant production for Skeena sockeye. Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 15, 1007 1025. &
- 1982 A versatile new stock–recruitment relationship for fisheries, and the construction of sustainable yield curves. Journal de Conseil International Exploration de la Mer, 40, 67 75.
- 1990 Regulation in fish populations: myth or mirage? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society London, Series B, 330, 151 164. &
- 1990 Population-level indicators of stress. Biological Indicators of Stress in Fish (ed. S.M.Adams), pp. 145 166. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda.
- 1989 The regulation of animal populations. Ecological Concepts (ed. M.Cherrett), pp. 197 241. British Ecological Society Symposium.Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1973Insect Population Ecology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. , ,
- 1985 Coexistence mediated by recruitment fluctuations: a field guide to the storage effect. American Naturalist, 125, 769 787. &
- 1984 The ontogenetic niche and species interactions in size-structured populations. Annual Reviews of Ecology and Systematics, 15, 393 425. &
- 1971 Population changes in Neophilaenus lineatus (L.) (Homoptera: Cercopidae) in different parts of its range. Journal of Animal Ecology, 40, 425 443.
- 1951 A trap for the capture of fish and other organisms moving downstream. Transaction of the American Fisheries Society, 80, 41 45.
- 1985 Food-searching behaviour of the common merganser (Mergus merganser): Functional response to prey and predator density. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 63, 1260 1270. &
- 1990Ecology of Teleost Fishes. Chapman & Hall, London.