Examination of the nitrogen limitation hypothesis in non-cyclic populations of cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus)
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 705–721, September 1998
How to Cite
Schetter, T. A., Lochmiller, R. L., Leslie, D. M., Engle, D. M. and Payton, M. E. (1998), Examination of the nitrogen limitation hypothesis in non-cyclic populations of cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus). Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 705–721. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00240.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1985 Nutrition. Biology of New World Microtus (ed. R.Tamarin), pp. 779 811, American Society of Mammalogists, Special Publication 8.
- 1991 The influence of high quality food on habitat use by arctic microtine rodents. Oikos, 60, 299 306. &
- 1986 Generalist herbivore foraging and its role in competitive interactions. American Zoologist, 26, 51 69.
- 1987 A field experiment to examine the effects of food quality and population density on reproduction of wild house mice. Oikos, 48, 304 311. &
- 1989Measurements for Terrestrial Vegetation. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, New York.
- 1990 Effects of food quality on feeding patterns of meadow voles (Microtus pennsylvanicus) along a community gradient. Journal of Mammalogy, 71, 390 396. &
- 1996 Growth and reproduction of hispid cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) in response to naturally occurring levels of dietary protein. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 220 231. &
- 1988 Geographic variation in life history traits of the hispid cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus). Evolution of Life Histories of Mammals (ed. M. S.Boyce), pp. 33 64, Yale University Press, New Haven, Connecticut. &
- 1981 Sigmodon hispidus. Mammalian Species, 158, 1 9. &
- 1996 Digestibility of animal tissue by muskrats. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 755 760. &
- 1988The Pico-Tag®;Method: a Manual of Advanced Techniques for Amino Acid Analysis. Waters Chromatography Division, Millipore Corporation, Milford, Massachusetts. , ,
- 1978 Influence of supplemental feeding on a vole population. Journal of Mammalogy, 59, 922 933. &
- 1979 Nutrition and population dynamics of the prairie vole in central Illinois. Journal of Animal Ecology, 48, 455 470. &
- 1980A Method of Preparing Plant Epidermal Tissue for Use in Fecal Analysis. Circular no. 0628, College of Agricultural Research Center, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington. &
- 1989 Effects of food availability and predation on prairie vole demography: a field experiment. Ecology, 70, 411 421. &
- 1995 Effects of supplemental food on population dynamics of cotton rats, Sigmodon hispidus. Ecology, 76, 814 826. &
- 1996 Experimentally induced habitat shifts by hispid cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus): response to protein supplementation. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 232 239. &
- 1973 Habitat preferences and spatial relations of Sigmodon hispidus on a remnant prairie in west-central Kansas. Southwestern Naturalist, 18, 21 29. &
- 1964 The influence of habitat quality upon density of cotton rat populations. Ecological Monographs, 34, 359 381.
- 1979 Food as a limiting factor for small rodent numbers. Oecologia, 37, 297 314.
- 1997 Requirements for reproduction in the hispid cotton rat (Sigmodon hispidus): a re-evaluation. Journal of Mammalogy, 78, 691 694. &
- 1985 Estimates of habitat carrying capacity incorporating explicit nutritional constraints. Journal of Wildlife Management, 49, 814 822. &
- 1989 Effect of compositing samples on analysis of fecal nitrogen. Journal of Wildlife Management, 53, 213 215. , , , ,
- 1990 Effects of forage availability on home range and population density of Microtus pennsylvanicus. Journal of Mammalogy, 71, 382 389.
- 1981 Nutritional ecology of microtine rodents: effects of plant extracts on the growth of arctic microtines. Journal of Mammalogy, 62, 286 292. &
- 1983 Role of food in hare population cycles. Oikos, 40, 385 395.
- 1987 Dynamics of snowshoe hare populations. Current Mammalogy, Vol. 2 (ed. H. H.Genoways), pp. 119 195, Plenum Press, New York, New York.
- 1982 Dietary variation in three sympatric rodents on the Texas coastal prairie. Journal of Mammalogy, 63, 668 672. &
- 1985 Interactions of cotton rats with a patchy environment: dietary responses and habitat selection. Ecology, 66, 1769 1783. &
- 1983 Patterns of habitat utilization in sympatric rodents on the Texas coastal prairie. Ecology, 64, 1471 1480. , ,
- 1975 Some nutritional aspects of reproduction in prairie nesting pintails. Journal of Wildlife Management, 39, 156 162. &
- 1975 The role of dispersal in the demography of small mammals. Small Mammals: Their Productivity and Population Dynamics (eds F. B.Golley, K.Petrusewicz & L.Ryszkowski), pp. 103 128, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England.
- 1984a. Food habits of the meadow vole (Microtus pennsylvanicus) in bluegrass and prairie habitats. Journal of Mammalogy, 65, 600 606. &
- 1984b. Plant phenolics as chemical defenses: effects of natural phenolics on survival and growth in prairie voles. Journal of Chemical Ecology, 10, 229 245. &
- 1995 Habitat-induced changes in essential amino-acid nutrition in populations of eastern cottontails. Journal of Mammalogy, 76, 1164 1177. , , ,
- 1980 Herbivory in relation to plant nitrogen content. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 11, 119 161.
- 1993 Development of an in situ Mammalian Biomonitor to Assess the Effect of Environmental Contaminants on Population and Community Health. PhD Thesis, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- 1993 Opportunistic foraging of eastern woodrats (Neotoma floridana) in manipulated habitats. American Midland Naturalist, 130, 325 337. , , , ,
- 1994 Demographic profiles of populations of cotton rats in a continuum of habitat types. Journal of Mammalogy, 75, 50 59. , , , ,
- 1994 Amino acid compositions of avian eggs and tissues: nutritional implications. Journal of Avian Biology, 25, 27 38.
- National Research Council 1995Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals, 4th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- 1991 The nutritional consequences of foraging in primates. the relationship of nutrient intakes to nutrient requirements. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, B, 334, 161 170.
- 1959 An integrated essential amino acid index for predicting the biological value of proteins. Protein and Amino Acid Nutrition (ed. A. A.Albanese), pp. 281 295, Academic Press, New York, New York.
- 1985 Limiting resources and territoriality in microtine rodents. American Naturalist, 126, 1 15.
- 1978 Statistical inferences from capture data on closed animal populations. Wildlife Monographs, 62, 1 135. , , ,
- 1993 Assessing quality of dietary protein through analysis of stomach digesta. Journal of Mammalogy, 74, 777 781. &
- 1994 Essential amino acids in northern bobwhite foods. Journal of Wildlife Management, 58, 167 175. , , , ,
- 1995 Nutritional requirements for reproduction in the hispid cotton rat, Sigmodon hispidus. Journal of Mammalogy, 76, 1113 1126. , ,
- 1991 Dietary choice of a generalist grassland herbivore, Sigmodon hispidus. Journal of Mammalogy, 72, 300 313. , ,
- SAS Institute, Inc.1990 SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 6, 4th edn. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1996 SAS/STAT Software: Changes and Enhancements through Release 6, 11. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- 1984 Protein and amino acid composition of tundra vegetation in relation to nutritional requirements of geese. Journal of Wildlife Management, 48, 1128 1136.
- 1965 Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 16, 144 158. &
- 1996 Habitat differences in mass-specific litter sizes of hispid cotton rats. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 346 350. , ,
- 1983 Dispersal of the cotton rat, Sigmodon hispidus. Journal of Mammalogy, 64, 210 217. &
- 1980Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, New York, U.S.A. &
- 1988 Viability of newly hatched chicks of willow ptarmigan (Lagopus l. Lagopus). Ornis Scandinavica, 19, 93 96. , , , ,
- 1980 The nutritional value of arrow-grasses to geese at James Bay. Journal of Wildlife Management, 44, 830 836. &
- 1978 The importance of a relative shortage of food in animal ecology. Oecologia, 33, 71 86.
- 1993The Inadequate Environment: Nitrogen and the Abundance of Animals. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1982 Capture–Recapture and Removal Methods for Sampling Closed Populations. Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico. , , ,
- 1984 Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, D.C. , ed..
- 1984Biostatistical Analysis. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA.
- 1996 Effect of landuse change on reproduction in five rodent species. Folia Zoologica, 45, 115 126. &