Present address: Point Reyes Bird Observatory, 4990 Shoreline Highway, Stinson Beach, California, 94970, USA.
Maternal and birth colony effects on survival of Weddell seal offspring from McMurdo Sound, Antarctica
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2004
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 722–740, September 1998
How to Cite
Hastings, K. K. and Testa, J. W. (1998), Maternal and birth colony effects on survival of Weddell seal offspring from McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 722–740. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00242.x
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2004
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2004
- 1972 Chick raising ability in adélie penguins. Auk, 89, 559–566. &
- 1973 Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle. International Symposium on Information Theory, 2nd edn(eds B.N.Petran & F.Csáki), pp. 267–281. Akadémiai Kiadi, Budapest, Hungary.
- 1993 Variation in weaning mass of pups in relation to maternal mass, postweaning fast duration, and weaned pup behaviour in southern elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) at South Georgia. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 71, 1772–1781. , , &
- 1992 Territorial behavior and breeding frequency of male Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddelli) in relation to age, size, and concentrations of serum testosterone and cortisol. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 70, 680–692. , &
- 1996 Maternal effects in animal ecology. American Zoologist, 36, 83–105.
- 1994 The effect of maternal age and other factors on birth mass in the harbour seal. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 72, 8–14. , , &
- 1984 Growth of the Weddell seal, Leptonychotes weddelli (Pinnipedia). Australian Journal of Zoology, 32, 33–41. , , &
- 1987 Design and analysis methods for fish survival experiments based on release–recapture. American Fisheries Society Monograph 5. , , , &
- 1992 Group breeding in sea lions: pups survive better in colonies. Animal Behaviour, 43, 541–548. , , , &
- 1991The Evolution of Parental Care. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA.
- 1988Reproductive Success: Studies of Individual Variation in Contrasting Breeding Systems. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois, USA. , ed..
- 1987 Interactions between population density and maternal characteristics affecting fecundity and juvenile survival in red deer. Journal of Animal Ecology, 56, 857–871. , &
- 1964 Estimates of survival from the sighting of marked animals. Biometrika, 51, 429–438.
- 1980 The social plasticity of the Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddelli L.) at Pointe Géologie. Mammalia, 44, 497–521. &
- 1988 Intraspecific allometry of neonatal size in the Antarctic fur seal (Arctocephalus gazella). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 22, 361–364. , &
- 1968 Differences in the quality of birds nesting in the centre and on the edges of a colony. Nature, 217, 478–479.
- 1983 Fecundity, survival and site fidelity in Weddell seals, Leptonychotes weddelli. Journal of Applied Ecology, 20, 19–32. &
- 1996 Aspects of survival in juvenile polar bears. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 74, 1246–1252. &
- 1984 Density-dependent pup mortality in the Antarctic fur seal Arctocephalus gazella at South Georgia. Journal of Zoology, London, 202, 449–460. , &
- 1977 Population dynamics and marine mammal management policies. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 34, 183–190. &
- 1988 Age-specific reproduction of bighorn ewes in Alberta, Canada. Journal of Mammalogy, 69, 157–160.
- 1988 Components of lifetime reproductive success in the Florida scrub jay. Reproductive Success: Studies of Individual Variation in Contrasting Breeding Systems (ed. T.H.Clutton-Brock). University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois, USA. &
- 1978 Factors affecting calf mortality in red deer (Cervus elaphus). Journal of Animal Ecology, 47, 817–832. , &
- 1996 Juvenile survival and maternal strategies of Weddell seals in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. MSc Thesis, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, Alaska, USA.
- 1987 Reproductive ecology of Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddelli) in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. PhD Thesis, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- 1993 The effect of maternal size and milk energy output on pup growth in grey seals (Halichoerus grypus). Physiological Zoology, 66, 61–88. , , &
- 1965 Explicit estimates from capture–recapture data with both death and immigration-stochastic model. Biometrika, 52, 225–247.
- 1975 Colony behavior of Weddell seals, Leptonychotes weddelli, at Hutton Cliffs, Antarctica. Rapport et Procès-Verbaux Ré-Unions Du Conseil International Pour L’Exploration de la Mer, 169, 228–246. , &
- 1984 Antarctic Marine Environments and Offshore Oil. Commission for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 1991 Pinniped mating systems on land, ice and in the water: emphasis on the Phocidae. The Behaviour of Pinnipeds (ed. D.Renouf). Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1992 Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecological Monographs, 62, 67–118. , , &
- 1994 Reproductive performance of female Antarctic fur seals: the influence of age, breeding experience, environmental variation and individual quality. Journal of Animal Ecology, 63, 827–840. , &
- 1984 Body size and reproductive strategy as correlates of milk energy output in lactating mammals. Acta Zoological Fennica, 171, 183–186.
- 1986 Relation of maternal age to fawn-rearing success in white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Management, 50, 480–486. &
- 1985 The effect of age and pair bond on the breeding success of great tits Parus major. Ibis, 127, 306–315. &
- 1974 Survival of young great tits in relation to age of female parent. Ibis, 116, 220–224. &
- 1983 A multivariate study of the relationship of parental age to reproductive success in California gulls. Ecology, 64, 829–839. &
- 1988 Recruitment and maternal age in lesser snow geese Chen Caerulescens Caerulescens. Journal of Animal Ecology, 57, 553–563. , &
- 1981. Female competition and reproductive success in northern elephant seals. Animal Behaviour, 29, 670–687. , &
- 1993 Age and reproductive success in female lesser snow geese: experience, senescence and the cost of philopatry. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 323–333. , , &
- 1980 The influence of age on the breeding biology of colonial nesting seabirds. Behavior of Marine Animals, Vol. 4 (eds J.Burger, B.L.Olla & H.E.Winn), pp. 153–168. Plenum Press, New York.
- 1996 Preweaning mortality of Weddell seal pups. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 74, 1775–1778. , &
- 1982The Estimation of Animal Abundance and Related Parameters, 2nd edn. Macmillan, New York.
- 1977 An analysis of the dynamics of a Weddell seal population. Ecological Monographs, 47, 319–335. , , &
- 1975 Movements of Weddell seals in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, as monitored by telemetry. Rapport et Procès-Verbaux Ré-Unions Du Conseil International Pour L’Exploration de la Mer, 169, 387–393. , , &
- 1987 Effects of lengthy ringing periods on estimators of annual survival. Acta Ornithologica: Ringing Recovery Analytical Methods 23 (ed. P.M.North), pp. 69–76. &
- 1994SURPH.1 Manual: Statistical Survival Analysis of Fish and Wildlife Tagging Studies. Center for Quantitative Science, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. , , , &
- 1966 A technique for handling live seals. Journal of Mammalogy, 47, 543–544.
- 1969 Ecology of the Weddell seal in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Ecology, 50, 573–586.
- 1971 Population dynamics of the Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddelli) in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, 1966–68. Antarctic Pinnipedia. Antarctic Research Series 18 (ed. H.Burt), pp. 141–161. American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, USA.
- 1974 Movements of Weddell seals in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Australian Journal of Zoology, 22, 39–43.
- 1987a Juvenile survival and recruitment in a population of Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii) in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 65, 2993–2997.
- 1987b Long-term reproductive patterns and sighting bias in Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddelli). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 65, 1091–1099.
- 1994 Over-winter movements and diving behavior of female Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii) in the southwestern Ross Sea, Antarctica. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 72, 1700–1710.
- 1997 A comment on the age at onset of breeding of male Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 75, 156–157.
- 1989 Diving behavior and maternal investment in Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddellii). Marine Mammal Science, 5, 399–405. , &
- 1992 Effectiveness of various cattle ear tags as markers for Weddell seals. Marine Mammal Science, 8, 344–353. &
- 1987 Population dynamics of Weddell seals (Leptonychotes weddelli) in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Ecological Monographs, 57, 149–165. &
- 1985 Weddell seal – Antarctic cod interactions in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Antarctic Nutrient Cycles and Food Webs. Proceedings of the 4th SCAR Symposium on Antarctic Biology (eds W.R.Siegfried, P.R.Condy & R.M.Laws), pp. 561–565. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. , , &
- 1983 Parameters affecting survival of Weddell seal pups (Leptonychotes weddelli) to weaning. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 61, 2078–2083. &
- 1972 Parental investment and sexual selection. Sexual Selection and the Descent of Man, 1871–1971 (ed. B.Campbell), pp. 136–179. Aldine, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1907 Mammalia (Seals and Whales). National Antarctic Expedition 1901–04, Natural History II, Zoology, pp. 1–66. British Museum (Natural History), London.
- 1994 The population dynamics of northern sea lions. 1975–85. Marine Mammal Science, 10, 38–51.