A seasonal shift in egg-laying behaviour in response to cues of future competition in a treehole mosquito
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 805–818, September 1998
How to Cite
Edgerly, J. S., Mcfarland, M., Morgan, P. and Livdahl, T. (1998), A seasonal shift in egg-laying behaviour in response to cues of future competition in a treehole mosquito. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 805–818. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00243.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1990 Spatial distribution of Aedes triseriatus eggs in a site endemic for La Crosse encephalitis virus. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 6, 254 257. &
- 1989 Chemical ecology and behavioral aspects of mosquito oviposition. Annual Review of Entomology, 34, 401 421. &
- 1976 Studies of Aedes triseriatus oviposition attractants produced by larvae of Aedes triseriatus and Aedes atropalpus (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology, 13, 112 115. , , , ,
- 1988 Reexamination of chemically mediated oviposition in Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology, 25, 158 164. &
- 1993 Oviposition habitat selection by the mosquito, Culiseta longiareolata: effects of conspecifics, food and green toad tadpoles. Ecological Entomology, 18, 104 108. &
- 1988 Drought and the organization of tree–hole mosquito communities. Oecologia, 74, 507 514. &
- 1987 Discrimination of occupied host fruit by plum curculio (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Journal of Chemical Ecology, 13, 1833 1841. , ,
- 1990 Egg-laying yellow fever mosquitoes avoid sites containing eggs laid by themselves or by conspecifics. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 57, 295 298. , ,
- 1984 Effect of notonectids (Hemiptera: Notonectidae) on mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae): predation or selective oviposition? Environmental Entomology, 13, 531 538.
- 1988 Influence of larval and pupal products on the oviposition behavior of Aedes fluviatilis (Lutz) (Diptera: Culicidae). Memorias Do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz. Rio de Janeiro, 83, 213 218. &
- 1992 Interspecific competition, parasitism and predation affect development of Aedes hendersoni and A. triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) in artificial treeholes. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 85, 154 163. &
- 1989 A strong relationship between oviposition preference and larval performance in a shoot-galling sawfly. Ecology, 70, 1691 1699. , ,
- 1991 Choice of oviposition site and egg load assessment by a treefrog. Herpetologica, 47, 308 315.
- 1981 Identification and geographic distribution of the mosquitoes of North America, north of Mexico. Mosquito Systematics, Suppl. 1. &
- 1991 Response of the sandfly Lutzomyia longipalpis to an oviposition pheromone associated with conspecific eggs. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 5, 87 91. &
- 1992 Density-dependent interactions within a complex life cycle: the roles of cohort structure and mode of recruitment. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 139 150. &
- 1992 To hatch or not to hatch? Egg hatch response to larval density and to larval contact in a treehole mosquito. Ecological Entomology, 17, 28 32. &
- 1993 The community ecology of Aedes egg hatching: implications for a mosquito invasion. Ecological Entomology, 18, 123 128. , ,
- 1984 Oviposition behavior of two tephritid fruit flies, Dacus tryoni and Dacus jarvisis, as influenced by the presence of larvae in the host fruit. Oecologia, 62, 37 46.
- 1994 Imperfect oviposition decisions by the pitcher plant mosquito (Wyeomyia Smithiii). Evolutionary Ecology, 8, 493 502.
- 1991 Oviposition deterrence by chemical signals of conspecific larvae in Diprion pini (Hymenoptera: Diprionidae) and Phyllodecta vulgatissima (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Entomologia Generalis, 15, 293 301. &
- 1968 A new regression method for analyzing the aggregation pattern of animal populations. Researches on Population Ecology, 10, 1 20.
- 1989 Oviposition behavior of Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae): prevalence, intensity, and aggregation of eggs in oviposition traps. Journal of Medical Entomology, 26, 462 467. , ,
- 1986 Cannibalism among Aedes triseriatus larvae. Ecological Entomology, 11, 111 114. &
- 1995 Effect of leaf litter and density on fitness and population performance of the tree hole mosquito Aedes triseriatus. Ecological Entomology, 20, 125 136. &
- 1982 Competition within and between hatching cohorts of a treehole mosquito. Ecology, 63, 1751 1760.
- 1987 Egg hatching inhibition: field evidence for population regulation in a treehole mosquito. Ecological Entomology, 12, 395 399. &
- 1985 The nature of egg hatching in Aedes triseriatus: ecological implications and evolutionary consequences. Ecology of Mosquitoes: Proceedings of a Workshop (eds L.P.Lounibos, J. R.Rey & J. H.Frank), pp. 65 78. Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory, Vero Beach, Florida. &
- 1984 The complex hatching response of Aedes eggs to larval density. Ecological Entomology, 9, 437 442. , ,
- 1967‘;Mean crowding’. Journal of Animal Ecology, 36, 1 30.
- 1969 An oviposition trap for detecting the presence of Aedes triseriatus (Say). Mosquito News, 29, 487 488. &
- 1983 Sélectivité des femelles de moustiques (Culicidae) pour leurs sites d’oviposition: état de la question. Revue Canadienne de Biologie Experimentale, 42, 235 241.
- 1976 Effects of color and larval-produced oviposition attractants on oviposition of Aedes triseriatus. Environmental Entomology, 5, 553 556. , , ,
- 1979 Studies of Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae) oviposition attractants. Evidence for attractant production by kaolin–treated larvae. Canadian Entomologist, 111, 143 147. , , ,
- 1985 Mechanism of egg recognition by the cowpea weevil Callosobruchus maculatus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 37, 241 245. &
- 1969 Predation of Anopheles barberi (Coq.) on first instar mosquito larvae. Mosquito News, 29, 134 135. , ,
- 1987 Pheromone mediated behavour of the mosquito Culex quinquefasciatus elicited by an oviposition attractant and its derivatives. PhD Thesis, University of London.
- 1981 Epidiectic pheromones that influence spacing patterns of phytophagous insects. Semiochemicals: Their Role in Pest Control (eds D.A.Nordlund, R. L.Jones & W. J.Lewis), pp. 181 213. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1984 Resource partitioning. Chemical Ecology of Insects (eds W. J.Bell & R. T.Cardé), Chapter 11. Chapman & Hall, New York. , ,
- 1989 Population size and survivorship of adult Aedes triseriatus in a scrap tireyard in northern Indiana. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 5, 166 172. &
- 1984 Intraspecific competition between different aged larvae of Agromyza frontella (Rondani) (Diptera: agromyzidae): advantages of an oviposition-deterring pheromone. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 62, 2192 2196. &
- 1987 Foraging behavior of a dipteran leaf miner on exploited and unexploited hosts. Oecologia, 73, 7 15. &
- 1992 Seasonal dynamic shifts in patch exploitation by parasitic wasps. Behavioral Ecology, 3, 156 165. , , , , ,
- 1987 Insects that mark host plants. Bioscience, 37, 400 406. &
- 1977 Aedes triseriatus and Aedes hendersoni: vertical and temporal distribution as measured by oviposition. Environmental Entomology, 6, 355 358. &
- 1980 Egg hatchability and diapause in Aedes triseriatus (Diptera: Culicidae): temperature and photoperiod-induced latencies. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 73, 39 43. &
- 1977 Habitat separation by differential vertical oviposition of two treehole Aedes in Indiana. Environmental Entomology, 6, 485 487. &
- 1970 Studies on the preference shown by ovipositing females of Aedes aegypti for water containing immature stages of the same species. Journal of Medical Entomology, 7, 485 489. &
- 1988 Evolutionary ecology of the relationship between oviposition preference and performance of offspring in phytophagous insects. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 47, 3 14.
- 1991 Biological control of Culex mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) by the tadpole shrimp, Triops longicaudatus (Notostraca: Triopsidae). Journal of Medical Entomology, 28, 24 31. &
- 1988 The significance of leaf detritus to mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) productivity from treeholes. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 17, 199 206. &
- 1993 Predator–prey interactions among North American container-breeding mosquito populations. PhD Thesis, Clark University.
- 1968 Oviposition site selection by the treehole mosquito, Aedes triseriatus (Say). Journal of Medical Entomology, 5, 189 194.