Geographic expansion of an increasing brown bear population: evidence for presaturation dispersal
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 819–826, September 1998
How to Cite
Swenson, J. E., Sandegren, F. and SO-Derberg, A. (1998), Geographic expansion of an increasing brown bear population: evidence for presaturation dispersal. Journal of Animal Ecology, 67: 819–826. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1998.00248.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1996 An expanding brown bear population in Slovenia: current management problems. Journal of Wildlife Research, 1, 297 300.
- 1993 Dispersal patterns of red foxes relative to population density. Journal of Wildlife Management, 57, 526 533. &
- 1978 Dispersal patterns of black bears in northeastern Pennsylvania: a preliminary report. Proceedings of the Eastern Black Bear Workshop, 4, 186 199.
- 1991 Movement of Yellowstone grizzly bears. Biological Conservation, 58, 41 67. &
- 1981 Population dynamics of bears—;implications. Dynamics of Large Mammal Populations (eds C. W.Fowler & T. D.Smith), pp. 75 98. John Wiley & Sons, New York. &
- 1988 Comparison of dispersal and other movements in two badger (Meles meles) populations. Mammal Review, 18, 51 59. , , ,
- 1992 The brown bear (Ursus arctos L.) in the USSR: numbers, hunting and systematics. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 29, 57 68. , , ,
- 1991Ecología Del Oso Pardo En España. Monografias del Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, Madrid. &
- 1970 Age determination of grizzly bears from fourth premolar tooth sections. Journal of Wildlife Management, 34, 353 363. , ,
- 1996 Brown/grizzly bear metapopulations. Metapopulations and Wildlife Conservation (ed. D. R.McCullough), pp. 325 351. Island Press, Washington, DC. &
- 1990 Licensjakten paÅ björn 1981–89—;en sammanställning. Undergraduate Thesis, Stockholm University. (In Swedish).
- 1980 Harmonic mean measure of animal activity areas. Ecology, 61, 1040 1044. &
- 1996 How many grizzlies in Yellowstone? Journal of Wildlife Management, 60, 416 421. &
- 1988 Reappraisal of the brown bear status in Norway. Biological Conservation, 46, 163 168.
- 1980 Seasonal movements of an Alaska Peninsula brown bear population. Proceedings of the International Conference on Bear Research and Management, 4, 307 312. &
- 1994 The effects of variability on metapopulation dynamics and rates of invasion. Ecology, 75, 40 47. , ,
- 1987 Emigration of subadult lions. Animal Behaviour, 35, 161 169. &
- 1991 Dispersal and connectivity in metapopulations. Metapopulation Dynamics: Empirical and Theoretical Investigations (eds M.Gilpin & I.Hanski), pp. 89 103. Academic Press, London.
- 1995 Patterns of spread of a reintroduced beaver Castor fiber population in Sweden. Wildlife Biology, 1, 97 103.
- 1991 Distribution history and present status of the raccoon dog in Finland. Holarctic Ecology, 14, 278 286. &
- 1990 Dispersal in relation to density in wild boar. Transactions of the International Union of Game Biologists’ Congress, 19, 59 62. &
- 1987Wildlife Radio Tagging, Equipment, Field Techniques and Data Analysis. Academic Press, London.
- 1986 Status of the brown bear in Norway: distribution and population 1978–82. Biological Conservation, 38, 79 99. , , , ,
- 1973 Population cycles in small rodents. Science, 179, 35 41. , , , ,
- 1975 The role of dispersal in the demography of small mammals. Small Mammals: Their Productivity and Population Dynamics (eds F. B.Golley, K.Petrusewicz & L.Ryszkowski), pp. 103 128. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1996 Responses of terrestrial vertebrates to habitat edges and corridors. Metapopulations and Wildlife Conservation (ed. D. R.McCullough), pp. 85 109. Island Press, Washington, D.C. &
- 1988 The spread of a reinvading species: range expansion in the California sea otter. American Naturalist, 131, 526 543. &
- 1993 El oso pardo (Ursus arctos) En España. Instituto Nacional para la Conservación de la Naturaleza, Madrid. &
- 1983 Behaviour of an expanding population of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in northern Europe. Zeitschrift für Säugetierkunde, 48, 290 297.
- 1993 Evaluation of the effects of harvest on grizzly bear population dynamics in the northcentral Alaska Range. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration, Final Report, Project W-23–5. Juneau.
- 1987 Effects of food supply and kinship on social behavior, movements, and population dynamics of black bears in northeastern Minnesota. Wildlife Monograph 97. The Wildlife Society Bethesda, Maryland.
- 1997 Compatibility of brown bear Ursus arctos and free-ranging sheep in Norway. Biological Conservation, 81, 91 95. , ,
- 1992 Dispersal and survival of subadult black bears from the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management, 56, 426 431. &
- 1990 The status and conservation of the bears of the world. Proceedings of the International Conference on Bear Research and Management, Monograph Series, 2, 1 32.
- 1992 Do large mammals disperse like small mammals? Animal Dispersal, Small Mammals as a Model (eds N. C.Stenseth & W. Z.LidickerJr ), pp. 229 242. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1993 Ukraine. Bears: Brown Bear, Polar Bear, Asian Black Bear; Distribution, Ecology, Use and Protection (eds M. A.Vaisfeld & I. E.Chestin), pp. 76 91. Nauka, Moscow. (In Russian with English summary.).
- 1998 Viability of Scandinavian brown bear Ursus arctos populations: the effects of uncertain parameter estimates. Oikos., 82, in press. , , , ,
- 1992 Presaturation and saturation dispersal 15 years later: some theoretical considerations. Animal Dispersal, Small Mammals as a Model (eds N. C.Stenseth & W. Z.LidickerJr), pp. 201 223. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1994 Size, trend, distribution and conservation of the brown bear Ursus arctos population in Sweden. Biological Conservation, 70, 9 17. , , , , ,
- 1995 The near extinction and recovery of brown bears in Scandinavia in relation to the bear management policies of Norway and Sweden. Wildlife Biology, 1, 11 25. , , , , ,
- 1996 A brown bear population estimate for Finnmark County, North Norway. Fauna Norvegica, Ser. A., 17, 11 15. &
- 1995 Localization of a contact zone between two highly divergent mitochondrial DNA lineages of the brown bear Ursus arctos in Scandinavia. Conservation Biology, 9, 1255 1261. , , ,
- 1988 Dispersal distance, home-range size and population density in the red fox (Vulpes vulpes): a quantitative analysis. Journal of Animal Ecology, 25, 423 434. , ,
- 1986 Invasability and wildlife conservation: invasive species on nature reserves. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 314, 695 710.
- 1992 The Swedish–Norwegian brown bear project 1984–91. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Oppdragsmelding 146. (In Norwegian with English summary). , , , , ,
- 1995 Patterns of dispersal and seasonal migration in roe deer (Capreolus capreolus). Journal of Zoology, London, 235, 455 467. &
- 1972 The status of the brown bear (Ursus arctos) in Abruzzo National Park, Italy, 1971. Biological Conservation, 4, 263 272. &