Dynamics of a harvested moose population in a variable environment
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2002
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 1, pages 186–204, January 1999
How to Cite
Solberg, E. J., Saether, B.-E., Strand, O. and Loison, A. (1999), Dynamics of a harvested moose population in a variable environment. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 186–204. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00275.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2002
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2002
- 1988 Why are migratory ungulates so abundant. American Naturalist, 68, 781 798. , ,
- 1981 Overwinter weight loss in white-tailed deer in New York. New York Fish and Game Journal, 68, 61 67.
- 1987 Early development and population dynamics in red deer. II. Density-independent cohort variation. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 69 81. , ,
- 1992 Cohort variation in reproduction and survival: implications for population demography. The Biology of Deer (ed. R.D.Brown), pp. 15 21. Springer-Verlag, New York. , ,
- 1992 Plant phenology and the benefits of migration in a temperate ungulate. Oikos, 68, 502 513. &
- 1983 Fertility and body weight in female red deer: a density-dependent relationship. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 969 980. , ,
- 1992 Functional response during winter of a herbivore, the moose, in relation to age and size. Ecology, 68, 542 550. &
- 1989 Survival rates of adult female moose on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 557 563. , ,
- 1946 On the theoretical specification of sampling properties of autocorrelated time series. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Suppl., 68, 27 41.
- 1971 The population dynamics of Newfoundland caribou. Wildlife Monographs, 68, 1 55.
- 1995 A geographical gradient in small rodent density fluctuations: a statistical modelling approach. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London, B, 68, 127 133. , ,
- 1991 Do continental moose ranges improve during cloudy summers? Canadian Journal of Zoology, 68, 1875 1879. &
- 1996 Increase in moose, caribou, and wolves following wolf control in Alaska. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 474 489. , ,
- 1994 High wintertime mortality-rate in a population of corsican mouflons (ovis musimon) in the sub-arctic archopelago of Kerguelen. Mammalia, 68, 211 223. , ,
- 1970 Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control. Holen-Day, San Francisco. &
- 1997 Structured population models: many methods, a few basic concepts. Structured Population Models in Marine, Terrestrial, and Freshwater Systems (eds S.Tuljapurkar & H.Caswell), pp. 3 17. Chapman & Hall. , , ,
- 1977Analyses of Vertebrate Populations. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 1991 Population dynamics and yield of a moose population without predators. Alces, 68, 31 40. &
- 1996 The Analysis of Time Series. An Introduction. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1984 Reproductive effort and terminal investment in iteroparous animals. American Naturalist, 68, 212 229.
- 1991 The evolution of parental care. Monographs in Behaviour and Ecology, Princeton University Press, NJ.
- 1982Red Deer: Behaviour and Ecology of Two Sexes. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , ,
- 1997 Stability and instability in ungulate populations: an empirical analysis. American Naturalist, 68, 195 219. , , , , ,
- 1997 Limiting factors may obscure regulation of moose (Cervidae: Alces alces) in unproductive boreal forests. Journal of Zoology, London, 68, 765 781. &
- 1994 Density-dependence in time series observations of natural populations: estimation and testing. Ecological Monographs, 68, 205 224. &
- 1990 Time Series, a Biostatistical Introduction. Oxford Science Publications, Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1992 A further analysis of the Nelchina caribou and wolf data. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 68, 385 395. &
- 1997 Harvesting strategies for fluctuating populations based on uncertain population estimates. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 68, 201 212. , ,
- 1993 Use of cohort analysis to estimate abundance, recruitment and survivorship for Newfoundland moose, Alces, 68, 99 113.
- 1996 Can human predation of moose cause population cycles? Alces, 68, 149 161. &
- 1998 Population dynamics of Norwegian red deer: density dependence and climatic variation. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London B, 68, 341 350. , , ,
- 1987 A review of density dependence in populations of large mammals. Current Mammalogy, 68, 401 441.
- 1985 Moose twinning rates: a possible population condition assessment. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 394 396. &
- 1949 Statistics of a lake trout fishery. Biometrics, 68, 27 67.
- 1991 Time lags and population fluctuations in white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 377 385. , , ,
- 1988 Population dynamics of Newfoundland moose using cohort analysis. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 14 21. , ,
- 1970 Life history consequences of natural selection. American Naturalist, 68, 1 24. &
- 1996 Body mass of roe deer fawns during winter in 2 contrasting populations. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 29 36. , , , ,
- 1998 Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 68, 58 63. , ,
- 1992 Effects of age and body weight on the proportion of females breeding in a population of roe deer (Capreolus capreolus). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 68, 1541 1545. , , , ,
- 1978 Layers of secondary dentine in incisors as age criteria in moose (Alces alces). Journal of Mammalogy, 68, 857 858.
- 1992Quantitative Fisheries Stock Assessment. Choice Dynamics and Uncertainty. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1989 Regression and time series model selection in small samples. Biometrika, 68, 97 307. &
- 1977 Criteria of physical condition, growth and development in Cervidae: suitable for routine studies. Nordic Council for Wildlife Research, Stockholm, Sweden. , ed..
- 1986 Geographical clines in body weight of Norwegian red deer: a novel explanation of Bergman's rule? Holarctic Ecology, 68, 285 293. &
- 1996 Climate, plant phenology and variation in age at first reproduction in a temperate herbivore. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 653 670. , , ,
- 1969 Population dynamics of the red deer (Cervus elaphus) on Rhum. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 425 457.
- 1981Theoretical Ecology: Principles and Applications. Blackwell, Oxford and Sinauer, Sunderland, Mass.
- 1979The George Reserve Deer Herd: Population Ecology of a K-Selected Species. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.
- 1987 Relationship of deer and moose populations to previous winters’ snow. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 615 627. , , ,
- 1991 The significance of limiting and regulating factors on the demography of moose and white tailed deer. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 377 393.
- 1994 Ungulate population models with predation: a case study with the North American moose. Ecology, 68, 478 488.
- 1985 Moose–wolf dynamics and the natural regulation of moose populations. Oecologia, 68, 503 512. &
- 1995 Spatial scales of variability in cod recruitment in the North Atlantic. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 68, 1849 1862. , ,
- 1987 Status of moose in Norway in the 1970s and early 1980s. Proceedings Second International Moose Symposium (eds G.Gøransson & S.Lavsund), pp. 63 8. Swedish Wildlife Research (Suppl. 1).
- 1990 Demography of a large herbivore, the greater kudu Tragelapgus strepsiceros, in relation to rainfall, Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 893 913.
- 1998 Large-scale climatic fluctuation and population dynamics of moose and white tailed deer. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 537 543. &
- 1997 Global climate change and phenotypic variation among red deer cohorts. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London, B, 68, 1317 1324. , , ,
- 1991 Wildlife Production: Conservation and Sustainable Development. AFES Misc. Pub. 91 6. University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, Alaska. & , eds.
- Resampling Stats 1997Resampling Stats, the New Statistics, Version 4.0.7. Resampling Stats, Inc. 612 N. Jackson Street, Arlington, Virginia.
- 1940 Relation of ‘;catch per unit effort’ to abundance and rate of exploitation. Journal of Fishery Resource Board, Canada., 68, 43 70.
- 1954 Stock and recruitment. Journal of Fishery Resource Board, Canada, 68, 559 923.
- 1984 The Impact of Climate on Grass Production and Quality, Proceedings of the 10th General Meeting of the European Grassland Federation. A³s, Norway. & , eds.
- 1992Analytical Population Dynamics, Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1986Akaike Information Criterion Statistics. Tokyo, KTK Scientific Publishers. , ,
- 1996 Life history strategies in moose (Alces alces). Geographical and temporal variation in body growth and reproduction. PhD Thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- SAS Institute 1995The SAS System for Windows, Version 6.11. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- SAS Institute 1993SAS/ETS User's Guide, Version 6 2nd edn Cary, NC SAS Institute Inc.
- 1989 Population regulation in animals. Ecological Concepts (ed. Cherret, J.M. ), Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 1996 Mammal populations: fluctuation, regulation, life history theory and their implication for conservation. Frontiers of Population Ecology (eds R.B.Floyd, A.W.Sheppard & P.J.De Barro), CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne.
- 1996 Density-dependence, stochasticity, compensation and predator regulation, Oikos, 68, 164 173. &
- 1983 The effect of density-dependent resource limitation on size of wild reindeer. Oecologia, 68, 156 168.
- 1985 The effects of density-dependent resource limitation on the demography of wild reindeer, Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 359 374.
- 1989 Comparative social organisation of wild reindeer in relation to food, mates and predation avoidance. Ethology Suppl. 29.
- 1994 Male traits as life-history variables: annual variation in body mass and antler size in moose (Alces alces). Journal of Mammalogy, 68, 1069 1079. &
- 1998 Hunter observations of moose as a management tool. Wildlife Biology, in press. &
- 1986 Elgen i Vefsndalføret. Miljøvernavdelingen, Fylkesmannen i Nordland.
- SPSS 1996SPSS for Windows, Release 7.5.1. Spss Inc.
- 1985 Annual variation in carcass weight of Norwegian moose in relation to climate along a latitudinal gradient. Journal of Wildlife Management, 68, 977 983.
- 1987 Pattern and processes in the population dynamics of the Scandinavian moose (Alces alces): some suggestions. Proceedings Second International Moose Symposium (eds G.Gøransson & S.Lavsund), pp. 525 37. Swedish Wildlife Research (Suppl. 1).
- 1997 Environmental stochasticity and population dynamics of large herbivores: a search for mechanisms. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 68, 143 149.
- 1996 Ecological correlates of regional variation in life history of the moose Alces Alces. Ecology, 68, 1493 1500. , , ,
- 1983 Life history of the moose (Alces alces): fecundity rates in relation to age and carcass weight. Journal of Mammalogy, 68, 226 232. &
- 1985 Life history of the moose Alces alces: relationship between growth and reproduction, Holarctic Ecology, 68, 100 106. &
- 1993 Ecological correlates of individual variation in age at maturity in female moose (Alces alces): the effects of environmental variability. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68, 482 489. &
- 1992 Sluttrapport Elg-Skog-Samfunn. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Forskningsrapport 28. , , ,
- 1996 Is spacing behaviour coupled with predation causing the microtine density cycle? A synthesis of current process-oriented and pattern-oriented studies. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London, B, 68, 1423 1435. , ,
- 1987 Theoretical considerations on regulated harvest of a moose population – a simulation study. Proceedings Second International Moose Symposium (eds G.Gøransson & S.Lavsund), pp. 643 55. Swedish Wildlife Research (Suppl. 1). , ,
- 1995 Population regulation: old arguments and new synthesis. Population Dynamics (eds N.Capuccino & P.W.Price), pp. 19 40. Academic Press, London.
- 1983Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant, 2nd edn. O & B Books, Inc., Cornwallis. Oregon, USA.
- 1983 Foraging patterns and their multiplier effects on productivity of northern ungulates. Oikos, 68, 577 584.