Eliminating autocorrelation reduces biological relevance of home range estimates
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 221–234, March 1999
How to Cite
DE Solla, S. R., Bonduriansky, R. and Brooks, R. J. (1999), Eliminating autocorrelation reduces biological relevance of home range estimates. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 221–234. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00279.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1990User's Manual for Program Home Range, 2nd edn, Technical Report 15, Forestry, Wildlife and Range Experimental Station. University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, USA. , , ,
- 1995 A new Nearctic species of Protopiophila Duda (Diptera: Piophilidae), with notes on its behaviour and comparison with P. latipes (Meigen). Canadian Entomologist, 127, 859 863.
- 1996 Effects of body size on mate choice and fecundity in the antler fly, Protopiophila litigata (Diptera Piophilidae): . MSc thesis, University of Guelph.
- 1997 A technique for measuring and marking live flies. Canadian Entomologist, 129, 827 830. &
- 1992 The effects of temporally autocorrelated data on methods of home range analysis. Wildlife Telemetry Remote Monitoring and Tracking of Animals (eds I. G.Priede & S. M.Swift), pp. 272 284. Ellis Horwood Ltd, New York, USA. &
- 1980 Harmonic mean measure of animal activity areas. Ecology, 61, 1040 1044. &
- 1986 The fine structure of home ranges of male Chelydra serpentina: are snapping turtles territorial? Canadian Journal of Zoology, 65, 2623 2639. , ,
- 1992 What is spatial autocorrelation? Reflections on the past 25 years of spatial statistics. L’Espace Geographique, 3, 265 280.
- 1997 Effects of spatiotemporal scale on autocorrelation and home range parameters. Journal of Wildlife Management, 61, 280 290. , ,
- 1990 Home-range analysis using radio-tracking data—a review of problems and techniques particularly as applied to the study of mammals. Mammal Review, 20, 97 123. , , , , ,
- 1949 Calculation of size of home range. Journal of Mammalogy, 30, 1 18.
- 1984 Pseudoreplication and the design of ecological field experiments. Ecological Monographs, 54, 187 211.
- 1992 Quantity versus quality: programmed collection and analysis of radio-tracking data. Wildlife Telemetry Remote Monitoring and Tracking of Animals (eds I. G.Priede & S. M.Swift), pp. 231 246. Ellis Horwood Ltd, New York, USA.
- 1987 Estimating the location of the focal center in red squirrel home ranges. Ecology, 68, 1092 1101.
- 1993 Spatial autocorrelation: trouble or new paradigm? Ecology, 74, 1659 1673.
- 1996 Sunfish cognition and pseudoreplication. Animal Behavior, 27, 419 422. &
- 1993 Occupation of space by the carabid beetle Abax ater. Acta Oecologica, 14, 247 258. &
- Math Soft, Inc. 1995 mathcad User's Guide. Mathsoft Inc. Massachusetts, USA.
- 1992 Tests of spatial and temporal interaction among animals. Ecological Applications, 2, 178 188.
- 1947 Table of equivalent populations of North American mammals. American Midland Naturalist, 37, 223 249.
- 1966Statistical Analysis for Areal Distributions, Monograph Series Number Two. Regional Science Research Institute, Philadelphia.
- 1990 Time intervals for estimating pronghorn and coyote home ranges and daily movements. Journal of Wildlife Management, 54, 316 322. &
- 1987 Incorporating activity time in harmonic home range analysis. Journal of Wildlife Management, 51, 254 257. &
- 1981 An empirically based estimate of home range. Theoretical Population Biology, 20, 281 325.
- 1991 Kernel Home Range Estimation Program. North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina. &
- 1996 An evaluation of the accuracy of kernel density estimators for home range analysis. Ecology, 77, 2075 2085. &
- 1996 Reorganization of behaviour in laboratory mice, Mus musculus, with varying cost of access to resources. Animal Behavior, 51, 1087 1093. &
- 1986Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. Chapman & Hall, London.
- StatSoft, Inc. 1995 statistica for Windows. General Conventions and Statistics I. StatSoft, Inc., Tulsa, USA.
- 1985a Influence of sampling interval on estimates of home range size. Journal of Wildlife Management, 49, 1019 1025. &
- 1985b Testing for independence of observations in animal movements. Ecology, 66, 1176 1184. &
- 1997 On testing for independence of animal movements. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics, 2, 48 63. &
- 1988 Relating body size to the rate of home range use in mammals. Ecology, 69, 393 399. , ,
- 1990 Homing to food by black rat snakes (Elaphe obsoleta). Copeia, 1990, 1164 1165. &
- 1990Analysis of Wildlife Radio-Tracking Data. Academic Press, San Diego. &
- 1987 A review of models of home range for animal movement. Ecological Modelling, 38, 277 298.
- 1989 Kernel methods for estimating the utilization distribution in home-range studies. Ecology, 70, 164 168.
- 1995 Using Monte Carlo simulation to evaluate kernel-based home range estimates. Journal of Wildlife Management, 59, 794 800.