Cats protecting birds: modelling the mesopredator release effect
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 282–292, March 1999
How to Cite
Courchamp, F., Langlais, M. and Sugihara, G. (1999), Cats protecting birds: modelling the mesopredator release effect. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 282–292. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00285.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1978 Reproduction and population ecology in the feral house cat, Felis catus on Marion Island. Carnivore Genetics Newsletter, 3, 288 316.
- 1983 Demographic parameters of the feral cat Felis catus population at Marion Island. South African Journal of Wildlife Research, 13, 12 16.
- 1993 Potential impact of mammalian nest predators on endemic forest birds of Western Mauna Kea Hawaii. Conservation Biology, 7, 316 324.
- 1993 Predation by cats on the unique endemic lizard of Socorro Island Urosaurus auriculatus Revillagigedo Mexico. Ohio Journal of Science, 93, 101 104. , , ,
- 1994 Seabird conservation and feral cats on Ascension Island, South Atlantic. Seabirds on Islands, Threats, Case Studies and Action Plans (eds D. N.Nettleship, J.Burger & M.Gochfeld), pp. 39 67. Birdlife Conservation Series no. 1, Hamilton. , ,
- 1985 The spread of commensal species of Rattus to oceanic islands and their effect on island avifaunas. Conservation of Island Birds (ed. P. J.Moors), pp. 35 81. ICBP Technical Publication no. 3. Cambridge.
- 1989 Introduced animals and extinctions. Conservation for the Twenty-First Century (eds D.Western & M. C.Pearl), pp. 54 75. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1992 Red foxes, Vulpes vulpes, as biological control agents for introduced arctic foxes, Alopex lagopus, on Alaskan Islands. Canadian Field Naturalist, 106, 200 205.
- 1978 The Big South Cape Island rat irruption. The Ecology and Control of Rodents in New Zealand Nature Reserves (eds P. R.Dingwall, I. A. E.Atkinson & C.Hay), pp. 33 46. Dept. Land and Surveys, Private Bag, Wellington. Inf. Ser. 4.
- 1995 The roles of introduced rats and commercial fishing in the decline of ancient murrelets on Langara Island, British Columbia. Conservation Biology, 9, 865 872.
- 1995 Introduced rats, Rattus spp., on the Queen Charlotte Islands: Implications for seabird conservation. Canadian Field Naturalist, 109, 6 10. &
- 1992 Control of feral cats on sub-Antarctic Marion Island, Indian Ocean. Biological Conservation, 60, 211 219. &
- 1993 Are declines in North-American insectivorous songbirds due to causes on the breeding range? Conservation Biology, 7, 76 85. , ,
- 1995 The breeding biology of the gadfly petrels Pterodroma spp. of the Pitcairn Islands: Characteristics, population sizes and controls. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 56, 213 231.
- 1963 Statut actuel des mammifères des îles Galapagos. Mammalia, 27, 323 338.
- 1988 Macquarie Island flora and fauna management – interpreting progress and predictions for the future. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, 122, 129 135. &
- 1991 The effect of introduced roof rats on bird diversity of Antillean cays. Journal of Field Ornithology, 62, 343 348.
- 1991 The role of introduced species in shaping the distribution and abundance of island reptiles. Evolutionary Ecology, 5, 272 290. &
- 1992 Reptilian extinctions: the last ten thousand years. Conservation Biology, the Theory and Practice of Nature Conservation Preservation and Management (eds P. L.Fielder & K. J.Subodh), pp. 91 125. Chapman & Hall, London. , ,
- 1995 Global patterns of mammalian diversity, endemism and endangerment. Conservation Biology, 9, 559 568. &
- 1995 Alien mammals in the French Subantarctic Islands. Progress in Conservation of the Subantarctic Islands (ed. P. R.Dingwall), pp. 127 132. IUCN–The World Conservation Union. Conservation of the Southern Polar Region No 2. Paimpont.
- 1980 Age- and sex-dependant foraging strategies of a small mammalian omnivore. Journal of Animal Ecology, 49, 549 564.
- 1981 Foraging patterns of black rats across a desert-montagne forest gradient in the Gualapagos Islands. Biotropica, 13, 182 194.
- 1995 The conservation of critically endangered flightless birds in New Zealand. Ibis, 137, S181 S190. &
- 1995 Conservation status of the Prince Edward Islands. Progress in Conservation of the Subantarctic Islands (ed. P. R.Dingwall), pp. 21 30. IUCN–The World Conservation Union. Conservation of the Southern Polar Region No, 2. Paimpont.
- 1995 A success story: breeding of burrowing petrels (Procellariidae) before and after the eradication of feral cat Felis catus at subantartic Marion Island. Marine Ornithology, 23, 33 37. , , ,
- in press Rabbits killing birds: modelling the hyperpredation process. Journal of Animal Ecology, in press. , ,
- 1999 Biological control of introduced predator populations to protect native island species from extinction. Ecological Applications, in press. &
- 1992 the eradication of introduced Australian brushtail possums, Trichosurus vulpecula, from Kapiti Island, a New Zealand nature reserve. Biological Conservation, 61, 217 226.
- 1995 Reproduction of a rare New Zealand reptile, the Tuatara Sphenodon punctatus, on rat-free and rat-inhabited islands. Conservation Biology, 9, 373 383. , ,
- 1987 Conservation of the dark-rumped petrel Pterodroma Phaeopygia in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador. Biological Conservation, 42, 303 312. &
- 1989 American Broadcast journalism: its coverage of conservation crises. Conservation for the Twenty-First Century (eds D.Western & M. C.Pearl), pp. 289 293. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1976 Notes sur la biologie du chat haret de Kerguelen. Mammalia, 40, 531 595.
- 1989 Overview of recent extinctions. Conservation for the Twenty-First Century (eds D.Western & M. C.Pearl), pp. 37 41. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1986 Overview: introductions, extinctions, exterminations and invasions. Community Ecology, pp. 65 79. Harper & Row Publishers, New York. & , eds.
- 1990 Feral cat eradication on a barrier reef island, Australia. Atoll Research Bulletin, 338, 1 4. &
- 1998 The sustainable exploitation of sooty tern eggs in the Seychelles. 6th annual unpublished report to the Division of Environment, Government of the Republic of Seychelles.
- 1988 Diet of domestic cats and their impact on prey populations. The Domestic Cat, the Biology of its Behaviour (eds D. C.Turner & P.Bateson), pp. 123 147. Cambridge Academic Press, Cambridge.
- 1991 The diet of feral cats (Felis catus) on Raoul Island, Kermadec group. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 15, 123 129. , ,
- 1993 Relative effect of cats, myxomatosis, traditional control or competitors in removing rabbits from islands. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 20, 13 18.
- 1995 Control of abundant native vertebrates for conservation of endangered species. Conservation Biology, 9, 1357 1364. &
- 1981 Rat predation on Bonin petrel eggs on Midway atoll. Journal of Field Ornithology, 52, 336 338. , ,
- 1961 The influence of man on the floras and faunas of Southern Islands. Polar Record, 10, 475 493. &
- 1981 List of amphibians and reptiles either known or thought to have become extinct since 1600. Biological Conservation, 19, 141 158.
- 1978 The impact of feral cats and dogs on populations of the west Indian rock iguana, Cyclura carinata. Biological Conservation, 14, 63 73.
- 1985 Threats to birds on subantarctic islands. Conservation of Island Birds (ed. P. J.Moors), pp. 101 121. ICBP Technical Publication no. 3. Cambridge.
- 1995 Conservation status of the French Subantarctic Islands. Progress in Conservation of the Subantarctic Islands (ed. P. R.Dingwall), pp. 31 52. IUCN—The World Conservation Union. Conservation of the Southern Polar Region No 2. Paimpont. &
- 1984 The seabirds of the French Subantarctic Islands & Adelie Land, their status and conservation. Status and Conservation of the World's Seabirds (eds J. P.Croxall, P. G. H.Evans & R. W.Schreiber), pp. 609 625. ICBP Technical Publication no. 2. Cambridge. , , ,
- 1982 Feral cats on Stewart Island: their foods and their effects on kakapo. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 9, 287 294. &
- 1967 Polynesian rat predation on nesting Laysan Albatrosses and other Pacific seabirds. Auk, 84, 426 430.
- 1985 Island birds: will the future repeat the past? Conservation of Island Birds. ICBP Technical Publication No. 3 (ed. P. J.Moors), pp. 3 15. Cambridge.
- 1987 Food habits and energetics of feral house cats in the Galàpagos Islands. Oikos, 50, 24 32.
- 1996 A comparison of the effects of predation by Norway (Rattus norvegicus) and Polynesian rats (R. exulans) on the saddleback (Philesturnus carunculatus). Notornis, 43, 91 112.
- 1986 Evidence of predation by kiore upon lizards from the Mokohinau islands. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 9, 83 87.
- 1992 The Status of Neotoma anthonyi Rodentia Muridae Cricetinae of Todos Santos Islands Baja California Mexico. Bulletin Southern California Academy of Sciences, 91, 137 140.
- 1996 Past and present status and conservation of the seabirds breeding in the Azores Archipelago. Biological Conservation, 78, 319 328. , ,
- 1984 Predation on seabirds by introduced animals, and factors affecting its severity. Status and Conservation of the World's Seabirds (eds J. P.Croxall, P. G. H.Evans & R. W.Schreiber), pp. 667 690. ICBP Technical Publication no. 2. Cambridge. &
- 1992 Change in diet of stoats following poisoning of rats in a New-Zealand forest. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 16, 137 140. &
- 1994 Effects of a mouse, Mus musculus, eradication programme and habitat change on lizard populations of Mana Island, New Zealand, with special reference to McGregor's skink, Cyclodina macgregori. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 21, 443 456.
- 1990 Seasonal fluctuations of numbers, breeding, and food of kiore (Rattus exulans) on Lady Alice Island (Hen and Chickens group), with a consideration of kiore: Tuatara (Sphenodon punctatus) relationships in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 17, 55 64. &
- 1996 A review of the diet of feral domestic cats (Felis silvestris L. catus) on the Canary Islands, with new data from the laurel forest of La Gomera. Zeitschrift FüR SäUgetierkunde, 61, 1 6. &
- 1992 The diet of feral cats (Felis catus) on Alegranza island (north of Lanzarote, Canary islands). Folia Zoologica, 41, 209 212. , , , ,
- 1966 Food web complexity and species diversity. American Naturalist, 100, 65 75.
- 1995 Positive effects on game species of top predators by controlling smaller predator populations: an example with lynx, mongooses and rabbits. Conservation Biology, 9, 295 305. , , ,
- 1990 Feral goat control in New Zealand. Biological Conservation, 54, 335 348.
- 1980 Food web design and the effect of species deletion. Oikos, 35, 139 149.
- 1995 Number, fate, and distribution of kakapo (Strigops habroptilus) found on Stewart Island, New Zealand. 1979–92. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 22, 239 248. , , ,
- 1997 A different perspective on eradication of vertebrate pests. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 25, 189 191. &
- Received, 18 February 1998; revision received 16 June 1998.
- 1991 Predation by feral cats on birds at Isla Socorro Mexico. Western Birds, 22, 141 143. , , ,
- 1987 Effect of lizards on spider populations: manipulative reconstruction of a natural experiment. Science, 236, 131 134. &
- 1992 Causes of land-bird extinction in French Polynesia. Oryx, 26, 215 222. &
- 1996 The effects of rat (Rattus rattus) predation on the reproductive success of the Bonin Petrel (Pterodroma hypoleuca) on Midway Atoll. Colonial Waterbirds, 19, 171 185. &
- 1988 Reconstructed dynamics of rapid extinctions of chaparral-requiring birds in urban habitat islands. Conservation Biology, 2, 75 92. , , , , ,
- 1991 Evidence of predation by a feral cat, Felis catus (Carnivora: Felidae) on an isolated rock-wallaby colony in tropical Queensland. Australian Mammalogy, 14, 143 144.
- 1989 Eradication of Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus) from Hawea island, Fiordland, using Brodifacoum. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 12, 23 32. &
- 1993 Rats eradicated from rugged Breaksea Island 170 ha Fiordland New Zealand. Biological Conservation, 65, 191 198. &
- 1980 Some causes of extinction. Conservation Biology: an Evolutionary–Ecological Perspective (eds M. E.Soulé & B. A.Wilcox), pp. 119 133. Sinauer Assoc, Inc., Sunderland, Massachusetts. &
- 1994 Habitat distribution and predation on a western population of terrestrial Leiopelma (Anura: Leiopelmatidae) in the northern King Country, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 21, 431 436. &
- 1994 The diet of cats, Felis catus, on Christmas Island, Indian Ocean. Wildlife Research, 21, 279 286. , ,
- 1991 Response of lizard assemblages in the Mercury Islands, New Zealand, to removal of an introduced rodent: The kiore (Rattus exulans). Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand, 21, 119 136.
- 1994 The role of ecological restoration in the conservation of Whitaker's skink (Cyclodina whitakeri), a rare New Zealand lizard (Lacertilia: Scincidae). New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 21, 457 471.
- 1996 Changes in habitat use by lizards on a New Zealand island following removal of the introduced Pacific Rat Rattus exulans. Pacific Conservation Biology, 2, 286 292.
- 1994 Patterns of range contractions and extinctions in the New Zealand herpetofauna following human colonisation. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 21, 325 339. &
- 1985 Methods of eradicating feral cats from offshore islands in New-Zealand. Conservation of Island Birds (ed. P. J.Moors), pp. 35 81. ICBP Technical Publication no. 3. Cambridge.
- 1992Proceedings of the National Predator Management Workshop. Threatened Species Occasional Publication. No 3. , , ,
- 1986 Habitat fragmentation in the temperate zone. Conservation Biology, the Science of Scarcity and Diversity. (ed. M. E.Soulé), pp. 237 256. Sinauer Assoc, Inc., Sunderland, Massachusetts. , ,
- 1996Biological Invasion. Chapman & Hall, London.