Food availability and the nocturnal vs. diurnal foraging trade-off in juvenile salmon
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2004
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 371–381, March 1999
How to Cite
Metcalfe, N. B., Fraser, N. H. C. and Burns, M. D. (1999), Food availability and the nocturnal vs. diurnal foraging trade-off in juvenile salmon. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 371–381. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00289.x
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2004
- 1991 Life history and the relationship between food availability and foraging effort. Ecology, 72, 1242–1252.
- 1995 The response of a Grey Heron Ardea cinerea breeding colony to rapid change in prey species. Bird Study, 42, 44–49. &
- 1997 Diurnal and nocturnal feeding activity in arctic char and rainbow trout. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 54, 2894–2900. ,
- 1979 Predators of fish in coldwater streams. Predator–Prey Systems in Fisheries Management (eds R. H.Stroud & H.Clepper), pp. 153–170. Sport Fishing Institute, Washington, DC.
- 1992 Effects of predation risk on foraging behavior of juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 70, 355–360.
- 1990 Diel feeding chronology and diet selection of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in the Henry's Fork of the Snake River, Idaho. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 47, 199–209. &
- 1996 A flat-bed passive integrated transponder antenna array for monitoring behaviour of Atlantic salmon parr and other fish. Journal of Fish Biology, 48, 539–541. , &
- 1992 Growth and early sexual maturation in Baltic salmon (Salmo salar) parr. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 70, 205–211.
- 1995 Interactions between predation risk and competition—a field-study of kangaroo rats and snakes. Ecology, 76, 165–178.
- 1992 Rules of thumb for predation hazard assessment—predictions from a dynamic model. American Naturalist, 139, 161–176. &
- 1994 Use of the passive integrated transponder (PIT) in a fish identification and monitoring system for fish behavioral studies. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 123, 395–401. , , , , &
- 1988 Patch use as an indicator of habitat preference, predation risk, competition. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 22, 37–47.
- 1992 Patch use under predation risk: I. Models and predictions. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 29, 301–309.
- 1996 Seasonal matching of foraging to anticipated energy requirements in anorexic juvenile salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 263, 13–18. , &
- 1997 An automated system for monitoring fish activity patterns. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 126, 1036–1040. , &
- 1988 Diel vertical migrations by juvenile sockeye salmon and the anti-predation window. American Naturalist, 131, 271–290. &
- 1995 Nocturnal emergence of juvenile rainbow trout from winter concealment relative to light intensity. Hydrobiologia, 299, 179–183. &
- 1994 Diel feeding and positioning periodicity of a grazing mayfly in a trout stream and fishless stream. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 51, 450–459. &
- 1988 Behaviour and microhabitat of young Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) during winter. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 45, 2156–2160.
- 1984 Risk of predation and the feeding behaviour of juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 16, 65–71. &
- 1984 Evidence for crypsis in coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum) parr: substrate colour preference and achromatic reflectance. Journal of Fish Biology, 25, 183–195. &
- 1994 Effects of trout on the diel periodicity of drifting in Baetid mayflies. Oecologia, 98, 48–56. , &
- 1993The Mink. T. & A.D. Poyser, London.
- 1967 Invertebrate drift in a Dartmoor stream. Archiv Für Hydrobiologie, 63, 202–237.
- 1975a Number of meals in a day, maximum weight of food consumed in a day and maximum rate of feeding for brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Freshwater Biology, 5, 287–303.
- 1975b The growth rate of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) fed on reduced rations. Journal of Animal Ecology, 44, 823–842.
- 1976 Body composition of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in relation to temperature and ration size. Journal of Animal Ecology, 45, 273–289.
- 1995 Consumption of Atlantic salmon smolts and parr by goosanders; estimates from doubly-labelled water measurements of captive birds released on two Scottish rivers. Journal of Fish Biology, 46, 273–281.
- 1992 Fish predation and the evolution of invertebrate drift periodicity—evidence from neotropical streams. Ecology, 73, 438–448.
- 1995 Low summer temperatures cause juvenile Atlantic salmon to become nocturnal. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 73, 446–451. , , &
- 1997 The costs of becoming nocturnal: feeding efficiency in relation to light intensity in juvenile Atlantic salmon. Functional Ecology, 11, 385–391. &
- 1993 Temperature-dependent switch between diurnal and nocturnal foraging in salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 252, 135–139. , &
- 1980 The influence of body composition on the survival of juvenile salmon. Hydrobiologia, 69, 67–72. &
- 1993 The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland1988–91. T. & A.D. Poyser Ltd, London. , &
- 1987 Habitat selection under predation hazard-test of a model with foraging minnows. Ecology, 68, 1856–1862. &
- 1990 Foraging and predator avoidance: a test of a patch choice model with juvenile bluegill sunfish. Oecologia, 83, 346–351.
- 1996 Winter concealment by subyearling rainbow trout—space size selection and reduced concealment under surface ice and in turbid water conditions. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 74, 451–455. &
- 1982 Sparrows and a brushpile: foraging responses to different combinations of predation risk and energy cost. Animal Behaviour, 30, 637–640. &
- 1993 Homeostatic behavioural responses in a changing environment: brown trout (Salmo trutta) become nocturnal during winter. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 295–308. , , , &
- 1985 Visual prey detection and foraging in sympatric cutthroat trout (Salmo clarkii clarkii) and Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 42, 785–790. &
- 1985 Growth and feeding in juvenile Atlantic salmon. Nutrition and Feeding in Fish (eds C.B.Cowey, A.M.Mackie & J.G.Bell), pp. 243–263. Academic Press, London. &
- 1942 Diurnal variations in feeding activity of young salmon and trout. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 6, 90–101.
- 1996 Thermal dependence and acclimation of fast start locomotion and its physiological basis in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Physiological Zoology, 69, 276–292. , &
- 1992 Feeding behaviour and effect of feeding regime on growth of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Aquaculture, 101, 135–146. &
- 1988 Length–weight relationship of hatchery-reared Atlantic salmon. Progressive Fish-Culturist, 50, 28–30.
- 1997 Patch use by gerbils in a risky environment: manipulating food and safety to test four models. Oikos, 78, 274–282.
- 1995Wild Otters: Predation and Populations. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1993 Otter (Lutra lutra L.) numbers and fish productivity in rivers in north-east Scotland. Symposium of the Zoological Society of London, 65, 171–191. , , &
- 1990 ³. The role of predation risk in stopover habitat selection in migrating bramblings, Fringilla montifringilla. Behavioral Ecology, 1, 102–106.
- 1990 Life-history strategies for energy gain and predator avoidance under time constraints. American Naturalist, 135, 686–707. &
- 1991 Sawbills (goosanders and red-breasted mergansers) as salmon predators. Annual Review of the Freshwater Fisheries Laboratory Pitlochry, 1990–91, 30–35. &
- 1996 Growth rate and influence of predation risk on territoriality in juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 53, 660–669.
- 1995 Influence of movement by coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) parr on their detection by common mergansers (Mergus merganser). Ethology, 99, 139–149. &
- 1998 State-dependent shifts between nocturnal and diurnal activity in salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 265, 1503–1507. , &
- 1987a The influence of predation risk on the feeding motivation and foraging strategy of juvenile Atlantic salmon. Animal Behaviour, 35, 901–911. , &
- 1987b Predation risk impairs diet selection in juvenile salmon. Animal Behaviour, 35, 931–933. , &
- 1992 Anorexia and defended energy levels in over-wintering juvenile salmon. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 175–181. &
- 1997 Habitat profitability and choice in a sit-and-wait predator: juvenile salmon prefer slower currents on darker nights. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 866–875. , &
- 1991 Patch use under predation hazard: foraging behavior in a simple stochastic environment. Oikos, 61, 29–44.
- 1970 Food-seeking activity of south Swedish diving ducks in the non-breeding season. Oikos, 21, 145–154.
- 1993 Estimating production, food supplies and consumption by juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Production of Juvenile Atlantic Salmon, Salmo Salar, in Natural Waters, Vol. 118 (eds R.J.Gibson & R.E.Cutting), pp. 163–174. Canadian Special Publications in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- 1990 PIT-tag monitoring systems for hydroelectric dams and fish hatcheries. American Fisheries Society Symposium, 7, 323–334. , , &
- 1989 Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution, 43, 223–225.
- 1979 Growth rates and models. Fish Physiology, Vol. 8 (eds W. S.Hoar, D. J.Randall & J. R.Brett), pp. 677–743. Academic Press, New York.
- 1993 Changes in habitat utilization and feeding chronology of juvenile rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) in fall and the onset of winter in Silver Creek, Idaho. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50, 2119–2128. &
- 1983 Autumnal habitat shift of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in a small river. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 40, 671–680. , &
- 1984 Changes in the selection of micro-habitat by juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) at the summer–autumn transition in a small river. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 41, 469–475. , &
- 1988 Diel feeding periodicity, daily ration and prey selection of a riverine population of juvenile chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha (Walbaum). Journal of Fish Biology, 33, 643–653. &
- 1992 Differences in body size and lipid reserves between maturing and nonmaturing Atlantic salmon parr, Salmo salar L. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 70, 1737–1742.
- 1997 Pronounced seasonal differences in appetite of Atlantic salmon parr, Salmo salar: effects of nutritional state and life-history strategy. Functional Ecology, 10, 760–767. , , &
- 1988 Food selection, food-seeking patterns and hunting success of captive Goosanders Mergus merganser and Red-breasted Mergansers M. serrator in relation to the behaviour of their prey. Ibis, 130, 79–93.
- 1991 Population studies on feral American mink Mustela vison in Ireland. Journal of Zoology, London, 224, 233–249.
- 1977 Bimodal distribution of length of juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) under artificial rearing conditions. Journal of Fish Biology, 11, 175–184.
- 1988 Movement rhythms in juvenile Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Biology, 33, 931–940. , , &
- 1998 Shelter selection in juvenile Atlantic salmon; or why do salmon seek shelter in winter? Journal of Fish Biology, 52, 42–49. &
- 1997 Seasonal changes in sheltering: effect of light and temperature on diel activity in juvenile salmon. Animal Behaviour, 54, 1405–1412. , , &
- 1978 Temperature effects on acceleration in rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri). Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 35, 1417–1422.
- 1983 An experimental test of the effects of predation risk on habitat use in fish. Ecology, 64, 1540–1548. , , &
- 1981 A comparison of the feeding biology of Mink Mustela vison and otter Lutra lutra. Journal of Zoology, London, 195, 181–213. , &
- 1976 Vertical migration in zooplankton as a predator avoidance mechanism. Limnology and Oceanography, 21, 804–813. &