Induced resistance of host tree foliage during and after a natural insect outbreak
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2004
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 2, pages 382–389, March 1999
How to Cite
Kaitaniemi, P., RuohomaKI, K., Tammaru, T. and Haukioja, E. (1999), Induced resistance of host tree foliage during and after a natural insect outbreak. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 382–389. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00290.x
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2004
- 1993 Plant defense, herbivory, and climate change. Biotic Interactions and Global Change (eds P. M.Kareiva, J. G.Kingsolver & R. B.Huey), pp. 75–94. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1987 Development of birch leaves and the growth energetics of Epirrita autumnata (Geometridae). Ecology, 68, 558–568. &
- 1993 Why the larch bud-moth cycle collapsed in the subalpine larch-cembran pine forests in the year 1990 for the first time since 1850. Oecologia, 93, 62–66.
- 1988 The larch budmoth in the Alps. Dynamics of Forest Insect Populations. Patterns, Causes, and Implications (ed. A. A.Berryman), pp. 331–351. Plenum Press, New York. &
- 1996 What causes population cycles of forest Lepidoptera? Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 11, 28–32.
- 1995Long-Term Interactions Between the Autumnal Moth and Mountain Birch: the Roles of Resources, Competitors, Natural Enemies, and Weather.PhD Thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala.
- 1991 Changes in gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) fecundity and male wing length resulting from defoliation. Environmental Entomology, 20, 1042–1047. , &
- 1987 Vein-cutting behavior: insect counterploy to the latex defense of plants. Science, 237, 898–901. &
- 1995 The convergence in growth of foliage chewing insect species on individual mountain birch trees. Journal of Animal Ecology, 64, 543–552. , &
- 1980 On the role of plant defences in the fluctuation of herbivore populations. Oikos, 35, 202–213.
- 1982 Inducible defences of white birch to a geometrid defoliator, Epirrita autumnata. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Insect-Plant Relationships . Wageningen, The Netherlands, pp. 199–204.
- 1991 Induction of defenses in trees. Annual Review of Entomology, 36, 25–42.
- 1985a The relationship between size and reproductive potential in male and female Epirrita autumnata (Lep., Geometridae). Ecological Entomology, 10, 267–270. &
- 1985b Induced long-term resistance of birch foliage against defoliators: defensive or incidental. Ecology, 66, 1303–1308. &
- 1987 Insect population dynamics and induction of plant resistance: the testing of hypotheses. Insect Outbreaks (eds P.Barbosa & J. C.Schultz), pp. 411–432. Academic Press, San Diego. &
- 1988a The autumnal moth in Fennoscandia. Dynamics of Forest Insect Populations. Patterns, Causes, and Implications (ed. A. A.Berryman), pp. 163–178. Plenum Press, New York. , , &
- 1988b Crowding-triggered phenotypic responses alleviate consequences of crowding in Epirrita autumnata (Lep., Geometridae). Oecologia, 75, 549–558. , , &
- 1999 Effects of cumulative defoliations on growth, reproduction, and insect resistance in mountain birch. Ecology, in press. , &
- 1999 Effects of autumn temperature and oviposition date on timing of larval development and risk of parasitism in a spring folivore. Oikos, 84, in press. &
- 1997a Consumption of apical buds as a mechanism of alleviating host plant resistance for Epirrita autumnata larvae. Oikos, 78, 230–238. , &
- 1997b Consequences of defoliation on phenological interaction between Epirrita autumnata and its host plant, mountain birch. Functional Ecology, 11, 199–208. , &
- 1998 Delayed induced changes in the biochemical composition of host plant leaves during an insect outbreak. Oecologia, 116, 182–190. , , , &
- 1973 Birch forest damage caused by Oporinia autumnata (Bkh.) in 1965–66 in Utsjoki, N Finland. Reports from the Kevo Subarctic Research Station, 10, 55–69. &
- 1983 The Fennoscandian birch and its evolution in the marginal forest zone. Nordicana, 47, 101–110. , &
- 1997Induced Responses to Herbivory. The University of Chigaco Press, Chicago. &
- 1989 Induced plant responses to herbivory. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 20, 331–348. &
- Kuukausikatsaus Suomen ilmastoon (in Finnish). 199095 June–September (published monthly). Finnish Meteorological Institute, Helsinki, Finland.
- 1996SAS System for Mixed Models, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC. , , &
- 1977 Fecundity reduction during collapse of a Douglas-fir tussock moth outbreak in northeast Oregon. Environmental Entomology, 6, 623–626. , &
- 1993 Statistical analysis of experiments conducted at multiple sites. Oikos, 67, 184–186. &
- 1988 Can a general hypothesis explain population cycles of forest Lepidoptera. Advances in Ecological Research, 18, 179–242.
- 1991 The effects of inducible resistance in host foliage on birch-feeding insects. Phytochemical Induction by Herbivores (eds D.Tallamy & M.Raupp), pp. 277–291. John Wiley, New York. &
- 1996 Climate change and the risk of forest insect outbreaks. The Finnish Research Programme on Climate Change. Final Report (ed. J.Roos), pp. 275–280. Publications of the Academy of Finland 4/96. Edita Ltd., Helsinki. , , &
- 1987 Improved insect performance from host-plant defoliation: winter moth on oak and apple. Ecological Entomology, 12, 409–414. &
- 1992 Variability in the efficacy of delayed inducible resistance in mountain birch. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 62, 107–115. , , , , , &
- 1992 Interpopulation differences in pupal size and fecundity are not associated with occurrence of outbreaks in Epirrita autumnata (Lep., Geometridae). Ecological Entomology, 17, 69–75. &
- 1996 Density and performance of Epirrita autumnata (Lep., Geometridae) along three air pollution gradients in northern Europe. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 773–785. , , , &
- 1997 Old mountain birch forests at high altitudes are prone to Epirrita autumnata (Lep., Geometridae) outbreaks. Environmental Entomology, 26, 1096–1104. , , &
- 1992 Manipulation of host plant quality: herbivores keep leaves in the dark. Functional Ecology, 6, 741–743.
- 1992 Among-tree variation in leaf phenology and morphology and its correlation with insect performance in the mountain birch. Oikos, 63, 215–222. , &
- 1993 Evidence for local adaptation in closely adjacent subpopulations of northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.) expressed as resistance to leaf herbivores. American Naturalist, 142, 928–936. , &
- 1985 Squash beetle feeding behavior: an adaptation against induced cucurbit defenses. Ecology, 66, 1574–1579.
- 1991Phytochemical Induction by Herbivores. John Wiley, New York. & , eds.
- 1998 Determination of adult size in a folivorous moth: constraints at instar level? Ecological Entomology, 23, 80–89.
- 1996 Realized fecundity in Epirrita autumnata (Lepidoptera, Geometridae) —relation to body size and population dynamics consequences. Oikos, 77, 407–416. , &
- 1972 The outbreaks of Oporinia autumnata Bkh. & Operophtera spp. (Lep. , Geometridae) in the Scandinavian Mountain Chain and Northern Finland 1862–1968. Zoologiska Bidrag Från Uppsala, (, Suppl. 2), 1–107.
- 1998 Modelling topoclimatic patterns of egg mortality of Epirrita autumnata (Lep: Geometridae) with Geographical Information System: predictions for current climate and warmer climate scenarios. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 311–322. , &
- 1995 A sex pheromone novel to the Geometridae identified from Epirrita autumnata. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 75, 159–164. , , , , &