Small-scale spatial dynamics in a fluctuating ungulate population
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 658–671, July 1999
How to Cite
Coulson, T., Albon, S., Pilkington, J. and Clutton-Brock, T. (1999), Small-scale spatial dynamics in a fluctuating ungulate population. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 658–671. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00298.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1992 Density dependent changes in the spacing behaviour of female kin in red deer. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 131 137. , , ,
- 1995 Molecular genetic variation and individual survival during population crashes of an unmanaged ungulate population. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B—Biological Sciences, 347, 263 273. , , , , , , ,
- 1991 The analysis of the variance and covariance of products. Biometrics, 47, 429 444. &
- 1993 Structured accounting of the variance of demographic change. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 490 502. , , ,
- 1978 Mammals, resources and reproductive strategies. Nature, 273, 191 195. &
- 1982. Red Deer: Behaviour and Ecology of Two Sexes. Chicago University Press, Chicago. , ,
- 1991 Persistent instability and population regulation in Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 60, 593 608. , , ,
- 1992 Early development and population fluctuations in Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 381 396. , , ,
- 1996 Population fluctuations, reproductive costs and life history tactics in female Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 675 689. , , , , ,
- 1997 Population substructure, local density and calf winter survival in red deer (Cervus elaphus). Ecology, 78, 852 863. , , , ,
- 1986. Plant Ecology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1994 Dispersal patterns of Corsican mouflon ewes: importance of age and proximate influences. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 42, 29 40. , , ,
- 1996 The importance of sampling scale in ecology kilometer wide variation in coral reef communities. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 143, 165 171. &
- 1996 Effects of the total, vertical and horizontal availability of the food resource on diet selection and intake of sheep. Journal of Agricultural Science, 127, 555 562. , , ,
- 1995 Social dominance in adult female mountain goats. Animal Behaviour, 49, 1449 1459. &
- 1987 Effects of learning on food selection and searching behaviour in deer. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 67, 24 32. &
- 1981. Classification Methods for the Explanatory Analysis of Multivariate Data. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1980 Mating systems, philopatry, and dispersal in birds and mammals. Animal Behaviour, 28, 1140 1162.
- 1992 Overcompensation and population cycles in ungulates. Nature, 355, 823 826. , , ,
- 1998 Noise and determinism in synchronised sheep dynamics. Nature, 394, 674 677. , , , , , , ,
- 1995 Grouping patterns and spatial segregation by Nubian ibex. Journal of Arid Environments, 30, 423 439. , ,
- 1992 The role of nematode parasites in Soay sheep (Ovis aries L) mortality during a population crash. Parasitology, 105, 493 503.
- 1993 Parasite associated polymorphism in a cyclic ungulate population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B—Biological Sciences, 254, 7 13. , , , ,
- 1991 Social status in female bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis) expression, development and reproductive correlates. Journal of Zoology, 225, 509 523.
- 1996 Modification of ecosystems by ungulates. Journal of Wildlife Management, 60, 695 713.
- 1974. Island Survivors: the Ecology of the Soay Sheep of St Kilda. Academic Press, London. , ,
- 1994 Ecology of linear dunes.2. Differential demographic responses of annual plants to local scale variation in sand stability. Israel Journal of Plant Sciences, 42, 275 284.
- 1994 Allogrooming by rocky mountain bighorn sheep, Ovis canadensis canadensis, in Glacier National Park, Montana. Canadian Field-Naturalist, 108, 87 88.
- 1995 The coupled logistic map: a simple model for the effects of spatial heterogeneity on population dynamics. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 173, 217 230.
- 1996 Density dependent selection in a fluctuating ungulate population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B—Biological Sciences, 263, 31 38. , , , ,
- 1995 Nonuniqueness and inversions in cluster Analysis. Applied Statistics—Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, 44, 117 134. &
- 1959 Single-factor analysis in population dynamics. Ecology, 40, 580 588.
- 1996 Effect of previous experience on sheep grazing leafy spurge. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 50, 161 176. , , ,
- 1986 The ecology of sociality in Felids. Ecological Aspects of Social Evolution. Birds and Mammals, Vol. 1 (eds D. I.Rubenstein & R. W.Wrangham), pp. 429 451. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1996 The maintenance of genetic polymorphism in small island populations of large mammals in the Hebrides. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B—Biological Sciences, 351, 745 752. , , , , , , ,
- 1997 Diet preferences of adult sheep and goats grazing rye grass and white clover. Small Ruminant Research, 24, 175 184. , , , ,
- 1996 Density dependence: are we searching at the wrong spatial scale? Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 556 566. &
- 1996 A fundamental problem in key factor analysis. Ecology, 77, 87 93.
- 1996a Dispersal and chaos in spatially structured models: an individual level approach. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 161 169.
- 1996b Synchronization between individuals and the dynamics of linked populations. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 183, 47 54.
- 1996 From Individual Behaviour to Population Ecology. Oxford Series in Ecology and Evolution. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1970 Key factors in population studies. Journal of Animal Ecology, 29, 399 401. &
- 1995 Habitat variation and mongoose demography. Serengit II: Dynamics, Management and Conservation of an Ecosystem(eds A. R. E.Sinclear & P.Arcese), pp. 421 447. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , , ,
- 1993 Competition among grasses along a nitrogen gradient: initial conditions and mechanisms of competition. Ecological Monographs, 63, 199 229. &
- 1993 Ecological mechanisms and landscape ecology. Oikos, 66, 369 380. , , ,