Repeated selection of morphometric traits in the Soay sheep on St Kilda
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 3, pages 472–488, May 1999
How to Cite
Milner, J. M., Albon, S. D., Illius, A. W., Pemberton, J. M. and Clutton-Brock, T. H. (1999), Repeated selection of morphometric traits in the Soay sheep on St Kilda. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 472–488. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00299.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1990 Phenotypic selection on heritable size traits: environmental variance and genetic response. American Naturalist, 135, 464 471. , ,
- 1995 Molecular genetic variation and individual survival during population crashes of an unmanaged ungulate population. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 347, 263 273. , , , , , , ,
- 1983 The heritability of external morphology in Darwin's ground finches (Geospiza) on Isla Daphne Major, Galápagos. Evolution, 37, 877 894.
- 1981 Intense natural selection in a population of Darwin's finches (Geospizinae) in the Galápagos. Science, 214, 82 85. &
- 1993 Evolution of body size: consequences of an energetic definition of fitness. American Naturalist, 142, 573 584. , ,
- 1984Size, Function and Life History. Harvard University Press, Harvard.
- 1991 Density-dependent growth, body condition, and demography in feral donkeys: testing the food hypothesis. Ecology, 72, 805 813.
- 1988Reproductive Success. Chicago University Press, Chicago.
- 1991 Persistent instability and population regulation in Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 60, 593 608. , , ,
- 1992 Early development and population fluctuations in Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 381 396. , , ,
- 1996 Population fluctuations, reproductive costs and life-history tactics in female Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 675 689. , , , , ,
- 1997 Density-dependent selection on horn phenotype in Soay sheep. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 352, 839 850. , ,
- 1986Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1996Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Longman, Harlow. &
- 1987 A review of density dependence in populations of large mammals. Current Mammalogy (ed. H. H.Genoways), pp. 401 441. Plenum Press, New York.
- 1998 Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 13, 58 63. , ,
- Genstat, 5 Committee 1993Genstat 5 Release 3 Reference Manual. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1988 Incisor arcade structure and diet selection in ruminants. Functional Ecology, 2, 15 22. &
- 1996 Sources of variation in the foraging efficiency of grazing ruminants. Functional Ecology, 10, 219 226. , ,
- 1983 Inheritance of size and shape in a population of Darwin's Finches, Geospiza conirostris. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 220, 219 236.
- 1986Ecology and Evolution of Darwin's Finches. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1989 Natural selection in a population of Darwin's finches. American Naturalist, 133, 377 393. &
- 1976 Darwin's finches, population variation and natural selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 73, 257 261. , , , ,
- 1992 Over-compensation and population cycles in an ungulate. Nature, 355, 283 286. , , ,
- 1998 Noise and determinism in synchronised sheep dynamics. Nature, 394, 674 677. , , , , , , , ,
- 1974 Population dynamics of the Soay sheep. Island Survivors. The Ecology of the Soay Sheep of St Kilda (eds P. A.Jewell, C.Milner & J. M.Boyd), pp. 242 272. Athlone Press, University of London, London.
- 1992 The role of nematode parasites in Soay sheep (Ovis aries L.) mortality during a population crash. Parasitology, 105, 493 503.
- 1993 Parasite-associated polymorphism in a cyclic ungulate population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B. 254, 7 13. , , , ,
- 1970 Relationships between numbers of Soay sheep and pastures at St Kilda. Animal populations in relation to their food resources. Proceedings of the 10th Symposium of British Ecological Society (ed. A.Watson), 289 302. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. &
- 1992 Comparing evolvability and variability of quantitative traits. Genetics, 130, 195 204.
- 1995 Selection for foraging efficiency during a population crash in Soay sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology, 64, 481 492. , , , ,
- 1987 The allometry of food intake in grazing ruminants. Journal of Animal Ecology, 56, 989 999. &
- 1974Island Survivors. The Ecology of the Soay Sheep of St Kilda. Athlone Press, University of London, London. , ,
- 1961The Fire of Life. Wiley, New York.
- 1983 The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution, 37, 1210 1226. &
- 1985 Seasonality, fasting endurance and body size in mammals. American Naturalist, 125, 873 878. &
- 1985 Body size of mammals on islands: the island rule reexamined. American Naturalist, 125, 310 316.
- 1976 Breed differences in body composition of equally mature sheep. Animal Production, 23, 281 293. , ,
- 1990 Fasting endurance and the evolution of mammalian body size. Functional Ecology, 4, 5 12. &
- 1974 The Soay sheep and their food supply. Island Survivors. The Ecology of the Soay Sheep of St Kilda (eds P. A.Jewell, C.Milner & J. M.Boyd), pp. 273 325. Athlone Press, University of London, London. &
- 1996 Density-dependent selection in a fluctuating ungulate population. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B. 263, 31 38. , , , ,
- 1987 Natural selection and the heritability of fitness components. Heredity, 59, 181 197. &
- 1988 Heritability of body size in a natural population of the Great Tit (Parus major) and its relation to age and environmental conditions during growth. Genetical Research, Cambridge, 51, 149 162. , ,
- 1978 Morphological aspects and the ecological significance of fat distribution in wild vertebrates. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 9, 519 570.
- 1987 Selection in natural populations of birds. Avian Genetics. A Population and Ecological Approach (eds F.Cooke & P. A.Buckley), pp. 257 287. Academic Press, London. &
- 1984 Recurrent patterns of natural selection in a population of Darwin's finches. Nature, 309, 787 789. , , ,
- 1981 Why are mosses eaten in cold environments only? Oikos, 38, 374 379.
- 1980 Optimum body sizes at different ambient temperatures: an energetics explanation of Bergmann's rule. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 83, 579 593.
- 1990 Natural selection on bill characters in two bill morphs of the African finch Pyrenestes ostrinus. Evolution, 44, 832 842.
- 1997 Environmental stochasticity and population dynamics of large herbivores: a search for mechanisms. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 12, 143 149.
- 1994 Male-biased mortality in Soay sheep. PhD Thesis, University of Cambridge.
- 1995 Fluctuating trade-offs favour precocial maturity in male Soay sheep. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 262, 267 275. &
- 1997 Genetic correlations between linear type traits, food intake, live weight and condition score in Holstein Friesian dairy cattle. Animal Science, 64, 385 392. &