Dietary protein constraint on age at maturity: an experimental test with wild deer mice
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 733–740, July 1999
How to Cite
McAdam, A. G. and Millar, JohN. S. (1999), Dietary protein constraint on age at maturity: an experimental test with wild deer mice. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 733–740. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00320.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1990 Population structure of temperate zone insectivorous bats in relation to foraging behaviour and energy demand. Journal of Animal Ecology, 60, 165 178.
- 1998 Constraints on first reproduction in North American red squirrels. Oikos, 81, 81 92. , ,
- 1994 Arthropods preferred as food by Sorex cinereus (masked shrew) and Peromyscus maniculatus (deer mouse): an experimental approach. Mammalia, 58, 391 396. &
- 1991 Pregnancy incentives, predation constraints and habitat shifts: experimental and field evidence for wild bighorn sheep. Animal Behaviour, 41, 61 77.
- 1987a Food and reproduction of wild house mice I. Diet and breeding seasons in various habitats on irrigated cereal farms in New South Wales. Australian Wildlife Research, 14, 183 196.
- 1987b Food and reproduction of wild house mice II. A field experiment to examine the effect of food availability and food quality on breeding in spring. Australian Wildlife Research, 14, 197 206.
- 1987 A field experiment to examine the effects of food quality and population density on reproduction of wild house mice. Oikos, 48, 304 311. &
- 1990 Food supplementation experiments with terrestrial vertebrates: patterns, problems, and the future. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 68, 203 220.
- 1985 Mammalian reproduction: an ecological perspective. Biology of Reproduction, 32, 1 26.
- 1996 Growth and reproduction of hispid cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) in response to naturally occurring levels of dietary protein. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 220 231. &
- 1978 Influence of supplemental feeding on a vole population. Journal of Mammalogy, 59, 809 819. &
- 1989 The effects of experimental manipulation of food supplies on a population of Rattus exulans. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 16, 419 425. &
- 1995 Regulation of population size: evidence from Columbian ground squirrels. Oecologia, 102, 44 51.
- 1985 The influence of food resources on life history in Columbian ground squirrels. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 63, 2105 2109. &
- 1987 Interpretation of intraspecific life history patterns: evidence from Columbian ground squirrels. American Naturalist, 129, 382 397. &
- 1992 Response to food addition by Peromyscus mexicanus. PhD Thesis, University of Western Ontario.
- 1995 The effect of supplemental food on life-history traits and demography of a tropical mouse Peromyscus mexicanus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 64, 348 360. &
- 1996 Experimentally induced habitat shifts by hispid cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus): response to protein supplementation. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 232 29. &
- 1971 Field populations of deer mice with supplemental food. Ecology, 52, 138 146.
- 1981 Effects of extra food on Peromyscus and Clethrionomys populations in the southern Yukon. Oecologia, 51, 326 331. &
- 1976 Effect of undernutrition and amino acid deficiency on the timing of puberty in rats. Pediatric Research, 10, 951 955. , ,
- 1997 Sex ratio of offspring in Peromyscus Maniculatus BorealisJournal of Mammalogy, 78, 626 637. &
- 1958 The role of reproduction and mortality in population fluctuations of voles (Microtus). Ecological Monographs, 29, 79 109.
- 1997 Population limitation in Arctic ground squirrels: effects of food and predation. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 527 541. &
- 1984 Pseudoreplication and the design of ecological field experiments. Ecological Monographs, 54, 187 211.
- 1952 Food of deer mice, Peromyscus maniculatus and P. boylei, in the northern Sierra Nevada, California. Journal of Mammalogy, 33, 50 60.
- 1954. The Natural Regulation of Animal Numbers. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1985 Tracking mammals with fluorescent pigments: a new technique. Journal of Mammalogy, 66, 134 136. &
- 1989 Reproductive inhibition in a short-season population of Peromyscus maniculatus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 58, 329 341. &
- 1997 The effects of. 6-Methoxy-, 2 (3) -benzoxazolinone on the reproductive ecology of Peromyscus maniculatus borealis. MSc Thesis, University of Western Ontario.
- 1981 Food habits of deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) in northern Ontario. Canadian Field-Naturalist, 95, 219 324. &
- 1998 Dietary protein limitation of growth and maturation in female Peromyscus maniculatus borealis. MSc Thesis, University of Western Ontario.
- 1994 Senescense in a population of small mammals? Ecoscience, 1, 317 321.
- 1992 Effects of reproduction on maternal survival and subsequent reproduction in northern Peromyscus maniculatus. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 70, 1129 1134. , ,
- 1983 Demographic and life cycle characteristics of montane deer mice. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 61, 574 585. &
- 1985 Breeding by Peromyscus maniculatus over an elevational gradient. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 63, 124 129. &
- 1985 Habitat use by non-hibernating small mammals of the Kananaskis Valley, Alberta. Canadian Field-Naturalist, 99, 196 204. , ,
- 1974 Structure of long bones of rats and mice fed a low calcium diet. Calcified Tissue Research, 15, 71 76. , ,
- 1984 Dietary arginine deprivation and delayed puberty in the female rat. Journal of Nutrition, 114, 112 118. &
- 1995 Is mean litter size the most productive? A test in Columbian ground squirrels. Ecology, 76, 1643 1654. , ,
- 1983. Wildlife Feeding and Nutrition. Academic Press Inc, New York.
- 1994. Food Composition and Nutritional Tables. CRC Press, Stuttgart. &
- StatSoft Inc. 1994 statistica for the MacintoshTM, I. StatSoft Inc. Tulsa, OK.
- 1991 Responses of red squirrel (Tamiascurus hudsonicus) populations to supplemental food. Journal of Mammalogy, 71, 579 590.
- 1981 The effect of extra food on small rodent populations: I. Deermice (Peromyscus Maniculatus)Journal of Animal Ecology, 50, 111 124.
- 1993 Early maturation by northern Peromyscus maniculatus. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 71, 1743 1747. &
- 1994 The effect of energy and protein content of food choice by deer mice, Peromyscus maniculatus (Rodentia). Animal Behaviour, 47, 55 64. , , ,
- 1993. The Inadequate Environment. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1974 Effect of low calcium diet on bone and calcium metabolism in rats and mice—a differential species response. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 49A, 183 195. &
- 1997 Effects of salt on the growth and timing of reproduction of the deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus borealis). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 75, 110 115. &
- 1996. Biostatistical Analysis. Prentice Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River.