Juvenile migration in brown trout: a consequence of energetic state
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 783–793, July 1999
How to Cite
Forseth, T., Nesje, T. F., Jonsson, B. and Hårsaker, K. (1999), Juvenile migration in brown trout: a consequence of energetic state. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 783–793. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00329.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1993 Optimal time and size for smolt migration in wild sea trout (Salmo trutta). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50, 224 232. , ,
- 1996 Date of smolt migration depends on body-size but not age in wild sea-run brown trout. Journal of Fish Biology, 49, 157 164. , ,
- 1982. Animal Energetics, Glasgow, Blackie. &
- 1991 Life history of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). Pacific Salmon: Life Histories (eds C.Groot & L.Margolis), pp. 3 117. UBC Press, Vancouver.
- 1977 Factors in interpreting data obtained by diel sampling of fish stomachs. Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 34, 290 294.
- 1972 Rates of gastric evacuation in brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Freshwater Biology, 2, 1 18.
- 1975a Weight of food and time required to satiate brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Freshwater Biology, 5, 51 64.
- 1975b Numbers of meals in a day, maximum weight of food consumed in a day and maximum rate of feeding for brown trout, Salmo trutta L. Freshwater Biology, 5, 287 303.
- 1976 The energetics of feeding, metabolism and growth of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in relation to body weight, water temperature and ration size. Journal of Animal Ecology, 45, 923 948.
- 1995 A new, improved growth model for brown trout, Salmo trutta. Functional Ecology, 9, 290 298. , ,
- 1992 Radioisotope method for estimating brown trout food consumption. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 49, 1328 1335. , , ,
- 1994 The energy budget, niche shift, reproduction and growth in a population of Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 63, 116 126. , ,
- 1968 Analysis of the 1966 smolt run in the North-west Miramichi River, New Brunswick. Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Technical Report 91.Francis, R.I.C.C. (1990) Back-calculation of fish length: a critical review. Journal of Fish Biology, 36, 883 902.
- 1971 Radiocesium retention by rainbow trout as affected by temperature and weight. Radionuclides in Ecosystems (ed. D.J.Nelson), USAEC Report CONF-710501-P1, pp. 361 371, Washington DC. &
- 1987 Evolution of diadromy in fishes. American Fisheries Society Symposium, 1, 14 25.
- 1980 Ecological aspects of ontogenetic shifts in prey size utilization in the bay goby (Pisces: Gobiidae). Oecologia, 47, 233 238.
- 1975 Cesium kinetics data for estimating food consumption rates of trout. Health Physics, 29, 301 306. , ,
- 1990 Social dominance and body size in Atlantic salmon parr, Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Biology, 36, 877 881. , , , ,
- 1995. Downstream migration of Atlantic salmon smolts in relation to water flow, water temperature, moon phase and social interaction. Nordic Journal of Freshwater Research, 70, 38 48. , , , ,
- 1983 A short review and critique of methodology used in fish growth and nutrition studies. Journal of Fish Biology, 23, 685.
- 1985 Life history patterns of freshwater resident and sea-run migrant brown trout in Norway. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 114, 182 194.
- 1991 Influence of water flow, water temperature and light on fish migration in rivers. Nordic Journal of Freshwater Research, 66, 20 35.
- 1985 Use of space and food by resident and migrant brown trout, Salmo trutta. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 14, 281 293. &
- 1993 Partial migration: niche shift versus sexual maturation in fishes. Reviews in Fish Biology, 3, 348 365. &
- 1990 Partial segregation in the timing of migration of Atlantic salmon of different ages. Animal Behaviour, 40, 313 321. , ,
- 1985 Water temperature as the primary influence on timing of seaward migrations of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) smolts. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 42, 593 595. &
- 1977 A method for estimating fish length from otolith size. Report from the Institute of Freshwater Research, Drottningholm, 56, 81 86. &
- 1966 Feeding rate of carp estimated by a radioisotopic method. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society, 95, 363 371.
- 1974 Daily feeding rates of bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) determined by a refined radioisotope method. Journal of Fisheries Reseach Board of Canada, 31, 67 74.
- 1993 Spatial segregation by age and size in brown trout and Arctic charr: a trade-off between feeding possibilities and risk of predation. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 160 168. , ,
- 1991 Resource partitioning and niche shift in Arctic charr, Salvelinus alpinus and brown trout, Salmo trutta. Journal of Animal Ecology, 60, 895 912. , , ,
- 1991 Competitive ability influences seaward migration age in Atlantic salmon. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 69, 815 817.
- 1989 Early social status and the development of life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 236, 7 19. , , ,
- 1995 Metabolic rate, social status and life-history strategies in Atlantic salmon. Animal Behaviour, 49, 431 436. , ,
- 1992 Early predictors of life-history events: the links between first feeding date, dominance and seaward migration in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Journal of Fish Biology, 41 (Suppl. B), 93 99. &
- 1992 Relationship between social status, otolith size at first feeding and subsequent growth in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 585 589. , ,
- 1991 Habitat switch and niche overlap in coregonid fishes: effects of zooplankton abundance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 48, 2307 2315. , , ,
- 1993 Is there a threshold size regulating smolt size in brown trout and Atlantic salmon ? Journal of Fish Biology, 42, 541 550. , , ,
- 1983 Food consumption and competition between age classes in a perch (Perca fluviatilis) population in a shallow eutrophic lake. Oikos, 40, 197 207.
- 1992 Ontogenetic changes in habitat use by whitefish, Coregonus lavaretus. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 33, 341 349. , ,
- 1992 The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1977 Aggregation, migration and population mechanisms. Nature, 265, 415 421. &
- 1986 Age at first maturity in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar freshwater period influences and conflicts with smolting. Canadian Special Publications in Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 89, 7 14.
- 1987a Smolting versus residency: developmental conflicts in salmonids. American Fisheries Society Symposium, 1, 244 252.
- 1987b Environmental regulation of growth patterns in juvenile Atlantic salmon. Age and Growth of Fish (eds J.D.Summerfelt & G.E.Hall), pp. 463 474. Iowa State University Press, Ames.
- 1998 Modeling the proximate basis of salmonid life history variation, with application to Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. Evolutionary Ecology, 5, 581 599. , , ,
- 1992 Behavioural influences on life-history variation in juvenile Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 33, 331 340. , ,
- 1991 Selection for growth potential among migratory brown trout (Salmo trutta) fry competing for territories: evidence from otoliths. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 48, 19 27. &
- 1992 Effects of temperature and body size on radiocaesium retention in brown trout (Salmo trutta L.). Freshwater Biology, 28, 165 171. , , ,
- 1938 A quantitative theory of organic growth. Human Biology, 10, 181 213.
- 1979 Niche partitioning by food size in fish communities. Predator–Prey Systems in Fisheries Management (eds R.H.Stroud & H.Clepper), pp. 311 322. Sport Fishing Institute, Washington D.C.
- 1984 The ontogenetic niche and species interaction in size-structured populations. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 15, 393 425. &
- 1990. Ecology of Teleost Fishes. Chapman & Hall, London.