Annual variation in fat storage by a migrant warbler overwintering in the Indian tropics
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 815–823, July 1999
How to Cite
Katti, M. and Price, T. (1999), Annual variation in fat storage by a migrant warbler overwintering in the Indian tropics. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 815–823. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00331.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1989 Corticosterone, feeding behavior and food deprivation in passerine birds. American Zoologist, 29, 79A. , , ,
- 1992 Interactions of corticosterone with feeding activity and metabolism in passerine birds. Ornis Scandinavica, 23, 355 365. , ,
- 1994 Dynamic models of mass-dependent predation, risk-sensitive foraging, and premigratory fattening in birds. Ecology, 75, 1131 1140. &
- 1995 Great tit fat reserves: effects of changing and unpredictable feeding day length. Functional Ecology, 9, 457 462. &
- 1994 Great tit fat reserves under unpredictable temperatures. Journal of Avian Biology, 25, 156 160. , ,
- 1997 Long-term spatial memory in four seed-caching corvid species. Animal Behaviour, 53, 335 341. , , ,
- 1996 Energetics of winter and migratory fattening. Avian Energetics and Nutritional Ecology (ed. C.Carey), pp. 280 323. Chapman & Hall, Inc., New York.
- 1976 Patterns of lipid storage and utilization in birds. American Zoologist, 16, 671 684.
- 1974 Thermal and caloric relations of birds. Avian Biology (eds D. S.Farner & J. R.King), Vol. IV, pp. 259 413. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1997 Mass loss in breeding house wrens: effects of food supplements. Ecology, 78, 2512 2523. &
- 1972 Biological actions of steroid hormones in non-mammalian vertebrates. Steroids in Non-Mammalian Vertebrates (ed. D. R.Idler), pp. 414 480. Academic Press, New York. , , , , , ,
- 1995 Dominant and subordinate fattening strategies: a dynamic game. Oikos, 72, 205 212. &
- 1990 Monitoring starvation risk: adjustments of body reserves in Greenfinches (Carduelis chloris L.) during periods of unpredictable foraging success. Behavioral Ecology, 1, 62 67. &
- 1981 Loss of mass in breeding wrens: stress or adaptation? Ecology, 62, 1179 1186.
- 1981 Seasonal breeding, moulting and weight changes among birds of dry deciduous forests in north India. Journal of Zoology, London, 194, 219 243.
- 1996 Environmental and social determinants of winter fat storage in the great tit Parus major. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 1 17.
- 1995 Predation risk and the cost of being fat. Nature, 377, 621 623. , ,
- 1965 The fat condition of some island birds. Ibis, 107, 350 356.
- 1980 Rainfall on the Galapagos and the demography of Darwin's Finches. Auk, 97, 227 244. &
- 1993 A theoretical investigation of the fat reserves and mortality levels of small birds in winter. Ornis Scandinavica, 24, 205 219. &
- 1992 Energetic reserves of marsh tits (Parus palustris): food and fat storage in response to variable food supply. Behavioral Ecology, 3, 181 188.
- 1981 Winter mortality and food supply in tits Parus spp. Oikos, 37, 313 322. , ,
- 1993 A new multi-category classification of subcutaneous fat deposits of songbirds. Journal of Field Ornithology, 64, 246 255.
- 1997 Ecology and evolution of non-breeding distributions in the Old World leaf warblers. PhD Thesis, University of California, San Diego.
- 1996 Effects of climate on Palaearctic warblers over-wintering in India. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 93, 411 427. &
- 1996 Departure fuel loads in time-minimizing migrating birds can be explained by the energy costs of being heavy. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 183, 29 34. &
- 1986 Predation risk and unpredictable feeding conditions: determinants of body mass in birds. Ecology, 67, 377 385.
- 1993 Mass changes in migrating birds: the evidence for fat and protein storage re-examined. Ibis, 135, 70 78. &
- 1990 The starvation–predation trade-off and some behavioral consequences. Behavioural Mechanisms of Food Selection (ed. R. N.Hughes), pp. 39 50. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 1990 The value of fat reserves and the tradeoff between starvation and predation. Acta Biotheoretica, 38, 37 62. &
- 1994 Foraging routines of small birds in winter: a theoretical investigation. Journal of Avian Biology, 25, 287 302. , ,
- 1993 Dark habitats and bright birds illustrate the role of the environment in species divergence. Nature, 362, 149 152.
- 1973 The digestion and intake of winter foods by wild Ptarmigan in Alaska. Condor, 75, 293 300.
- 1996 Energetics and nutrition of molt. Avian Energetics and Nutritional Ecology (ed. C.Carey), pp. 158 198. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1996 The cost of reproduction: a new link between current reproductive effort and future reproductive success. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, Biological Sciences, 263, 711 714. &
- 1981 Temporary weight decrease in breeding birds may result in more fledged young. American Naturalist, 118, 838 850.
- 1996 Energetics of flight. Avian Energetics and Nutritional Ecology (ed. C.Carey), pp. 199 249. Chapman & Hall, New York.
- 1990 Pre-migratory fattening usually involves more than the deposition of fat alone. Ringing and Migration, 11, 113 115.
- 1997 Management of fat reserves and food caches in tufted titmice (Parus bicolor) in relation to unpredictable food supply. Behavioral Ecology, 8, 332 339. &
- 1979 The seasonality and occurrence of birds in the Eastern Ghats of Andhra Pradesh. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 76, 379 422.
- 1981 The ecology of the Greenish Warbler, Phylloscopus trochiloides, in its winter quarters. Ibis, 123, 131 144.
- 1990 The breeding birds of Overa Wildlife Sanctuary, Kashmir. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 87, 1 15. &
- 1988 Directional selection and the evolution of breeding date in birds. Science, 240, 798 799. , ,
- 1993. Handbook of Field Methods for Monitoring Landbirds. USDA, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, Albany, California. , , , ,
- 1995 Differences in reproductive success and parental qualities between habitats in the Great Tits Parus major. Ibis, 137, 371 378. &
- 1991 An evaluation of the method of estimating body fat in birds by quantifying visible subcutaneous fat. Journal of Field Ornithology, 62, 349 356.
- 1994 Winter fattening in the dark-eyed junco: plasticity and possible interaction with migration trade-offs. Oecologia, 97, 526 532. , ,
- 1978 Factors affecting the food supply and breeding season of resident birds and movements of Palaearctic migrants in a tropical African savannah. Ibis, 120, 480 497.
- 1997 The trade-off between molt and parental care: a sexual conflict in the blue tit? Behavioral Ecology, 8, 92 98. &
- 1984. Identification Guide to European Passerines. Third Naturhistoriska Riksmuseet, Stockholm.
- 1997a Food availability and primary feather molt in European starlings, Sturnus vulgaris. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 75, 948 953. &
- 1997b The effects of molt on the flight performance, body mass, and behavior of European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris): an experimental approach. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 75, 1135 1146. &
- 1938. A Systematic Review of the Genus Phylloscopus. British Museum, London.
- 1969 Seasonal and diurnal changes in the fat content of an equatorial bird. Physiological Zoology, 42, 85 95.
- 1977 The annual lipid cycle and feeding behavior of Alaskan Redpolls. Oecologia, 27, 227 238.
- 1962. The Genus Phylloscopus. British Trust for Ornithology, London.
- 1986 Effects of corticosterone on territorial behavior of free-living male song sparrows, Melospiza melodia. Hormones and Behavior, 20, 405 417. &
- 1993 The Ecological Costs of Avian Fat Storage. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 340, 73 92. &
- 1997 Mass regulation in juvenile Starlings: response to change in food availability depends on initial body mass. Functional Ecology, 11, 11 15. &
- 1995 Periodic food availability and strategic regulation of body mass in the European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris. Functional Ecology, 9, 568 574. , ,
- 1978 Seasonal fluctuations in rainfall, food and abundance of tropical insects. Journal of Animal Ecology, 47, 369 381.