Effects of breeding pond isolation on the spatial and temporal dynamics of pond use by the tungara frog, Physalaemus pustulosus
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 68, Issue 4, pages 804–814, July 1999
How to Cite
Marsh, D. M., Fegraus, EriC. H. and Harrison, S. (1999), Effects of breeding pond isolation on the spatial and temporal dynamics of pond use by the tungara frog, Physalaemus pustulosus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 68: 804–814. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.1999.00332.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Abacus Concepts 1996 Statview reference. Abacus Concepts, Berkeley, CA, USA.Alford, R.A. & Wilbur, H.M. (1985) Priority effects in experimental ponds communities: competition between Bufo and Rana. Ecology, 66, 1097 1105.
- 1995 Ecological restoration and creation: a review. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 56 (Suppl.), 187 211.
- 1997 Changes in dewpond numbers and amphibian diversity over 20 years on chalk downland in Sussex, England. Biological Conservation, 81, 215 219.
- 1996 Priority effects in temporary pools: Nature and outcome of mosquito larva–toad tadpole interactions depend on order of entrance. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 77 84. &
- 1994 Amphibian declines: judging stability, persistence, and susceptibility of populations to local and global extinctions. Conservation Biology, 8, 60 71. , ,
- 1993 Isolation of remaining populations of the native frog, Rana muscosa, by introduced fishes in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, California. Conservation Biology, 7, 882 888. , ,
- 1977 Turnover rates in insular biogeography: effect of immigration on extinction. Ecology, 58, 445 449. &
- 1984. Analysis of Survival Data. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY. &
- 1974. Reproductive Strategies in a Tropical Anuran Community. Miscellaneous Publications of the Museum of Natural History of the University of Kansas, 61.
- 1993 Choice of oviposition site and egg load assessment by a treefrog. Herpetologica, 47, 308 315.
- 1975 The colonization of isolated patches of nettles (Urtica dioca L.) by insects. Journal of Animal Ecology, 44, 1 15.
- 1994 Techniques for marking amphibians. Measuring and Monitoring Biological Diversity: Standard Methods for Amphibians (eds R. W.Heyer, M. A.Donnelly, R. A.McDiarmid, L. C.Hayek & M. S.Foster), pp. 277 284. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC. , , ,
- 1986 The ecological genetics of introduced populations of the giant toad, Bufo marinus: dispersal and neighborhood size. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 27, 17 45. &
- 1996 Spatial dynamics of the European tree frog (Hyla arborea L.) in a heterogeneous landscape. PhD Dissertation, Uppsala University.
- 1985 Habitat patch connectivity and population survival. Ecology, 66, 1762 1768. &
- 1997 Population structure of a monophagous moth in a patchy landscape. Ecological Entomology, 22, 256 263. &
- 1996 Structure and history of the vegetation on Barro Colorado Island. The Ecology of a Tropical Forest (eds E. G.Leigh, A. S.Rand & D. M.Windsor), pp. 67 82. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC. &
- 1990 Determinants of chorus participation and the effects of size, weight and competition on advertisement calling in the tungara frog, Physalaemus pustulosus (Leptodactylidae). Animal Behaviour, 39, 620 638.
- 1997 Quantifying the effects of distance and conspecifics on colonization: Experiments and models using the loosestrife leaf beetle, Galerucella calmariensis. Oecologia, 110, 60 68. &
- 1917 The niche-relationships of the California Thrasher. Auk, 34, 427 433.
- 1996 Predicting the persistence of amphibian populations with the help of a spatial model. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 455 470. , ,
- 1985 Single-species spatial dynamics may contribute to long-term rarity and commonness. Ecology, 66, 335 343.
- 1990 Dung and carrion insects. Living in a Patchy Environment (eds B.Shorrocks & I. R.Swingland), pp. 127 146. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994a Patch-occupancy dynamics in fragmented landscapes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 9, 131 135.
- 1994b Spatial scale, patchiness, and population dynamics on land. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 343, 19 25.
- 1994 Metapopulation structure and migration in the butterfly Melitaea cinxia. Ecology, 75, 747 762. , ,
- 1989 Long-distance dispersal and colonization in the bay checkerspot butterfly, Euphydryas editha bayensis. Ecology, 70, 1236 1243.
- 1994 Resources and dispersal as factors limiting a population of the tussock moth (Orgyia vetusta), a flightless defoliator. Oecologia, 99, 27 34.
- 1997 Empirical evidence for metapopulation dynamics. Metapopulation Biology; Ecology, Genetics, Evolution (eds I. A.Hanski & M. E.Gilpin), pp. 27 42. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. &
- 1988 Distribution of the bay checkerspot butterfly, Euphydryas editha bayensis: Evidence for a metapopulation model. American Naturalist, 132, 360 382. , ,
- 1995 Testing a metapopulation model of coexistence in the insect community on ragwort Senecio jacobaea. American Naturalist, 145, 546 562. , ,
- 1996 Effects of habitat patch size and isolation on dispersal by Hesperia comma butterflies: Implications for metapopulation structure. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 725 735. , ,
- 1996 Persistence of an extinction-prone predator–prey interaction through metapopulation dynamics. Ecology, 77, 1867 1879. &
- 1958 Experimental studies on predation: dispersion factors and predator–prey oscillations. Hilgardia, 27, 343 383.
- 1957 Concluding remarks. Population Studies: animal Ecology and Demography. Cold Harbor Syposia on Quantitative Biology, 22, 415 427.
- 1982 Experimental and mathematical analyses of herbivore movement: quantifying the influence of plant spacing and quality on foraging discrimination. Ecological Monographs, 52, 161 181.
- 1987 Habitat fragmentation and the stability of predator–prey interactions. Nature, 326, 388 390.
- 1995 Connecting landscape patterns to ecosystem and population processes. Nature, 373, 299 302. &
- 1992 Geometrical factors and metapopulation dynamics of the bush cricket, Metrioptera bicolor Philippi (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae). Conservation Biology, 4, 520 529. &
- 1994 Habitat fragmentation, species loss, and biological control. Science, 264, 1581 1584. &
- 1990 Effects of pool size and isolation on amphibian communities. Biological Conservation, 54, 251 262. &
- 1993 Range, population abundance, and conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 8, 409 413.
- 1988 Breeding by Rana temporaria; the importance of pond size and isolation. Memoranda Society Fauna Flora Fennica, 64, 113 115.
- 1991. Randomization and Monte Carlo Methods in Biology. Chapman & Hall, New York, NY.
- 1990 Indicators for monitoring biodiversity: a hierarchical approach. Conservation Biology, 4, 355 364.
- 1991 Metapopulation theory and habitat fragmentation: a review of holarctic breeding bird studies. Landscape Ecology, 5, 93 106.
- 1993 Isolation population size and extinction the classical and metapopulation approaches applied to vascular plants along the Dutch Rhine-system. Oikos, 66, 298 308.
- 1997 Correlates of amphibian diversity in an altered landscape of Amazonian Ecuador. Conservation Biology, 11, 1211 1225.
- 1994 Breeding habitat segregation of wood frogs and American toads: the role of interspecific tadpole predation and adult choice. Copeia, 1994, 691 697. , , , ,
- 1993 Animal dispersal patterns: a reassessment of simple mathematical models. Ecology, 74, 2436 2443. &
- 1977 Optimal foraging: a selective review of theory and tests. Quarterly Review of Biology, 52, 137 154. , ,
- 1983 Physalaemus pustulosus. Costa Rican Natural History (ed. D.Janzen), pp. 452 455. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1996 Variation in rainfall on Barro Colorado Island. The Ecology of a Tropical Forest (eds E. G.Leigh, A. S.Rand & D. M.Windsor), pp. 47 59. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC. &
- 1989 Choice of oviposition site by Hyla chysoscelis: role of predators and competitors. Ecology, 70, 220 228. &
- 1983 Sexual selection and communication in a Neotropical frog, Physalaemus pustulosus. Evolution, 37, 261 272.
- 1985. The Tungara Frog: a Study in Sexual Selection and Communication. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1993. SAS Technical Report P-243, SAS/ STAT Software: the GENMOD Procedure, Release 6.09. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC.
- 1971 Theory of feeding strategies. Annual Review of Ecological Systems, 2, 369 404.
- 1990 Migration and orientation in anuran amphibians. Ethology, Ecology and Evolution, 2, 65 79.
- 1992 Structure and dynamic of a natterjack toad metapopulation (Bufo calamita). Oecologia, 90, 489 499.
- 1997 Postmetamorphic dispersal and recruitment of first breeders in a Bufo calamita metapopulation. Oecologia, 112, 42 47.
- 1991 Extinction and isolation gradients in metapopulations: the case of the pool frog (Rana lessonae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 42, 135 147.
- 1994 Distribution and extinction patterns within a northern metapopulation of the pool frog, Rana lessonae. Ecology, 75, 1357 1367.
- 1996 Using logistic regression to model metapopulation dynamics: large-scale forestry extirpates the pool frog. Metapopulations and Wildlife Conservation (ed. D. R.McCullough), pp. 111 137. Island Press, Washington, DC. &
- 1997 Choice of optimal oviposition sites by Hoplobatrachus occipitalis (Anura: Ranidae) in an unpredictable and patchy environment. Oecologia, 109, 184 199. &
- 1986 Habitat and ecology of Hyla arborea in the Netherlands. Studies in Herpetology (ed. Z.Rocek), pp. 409 412. Charles University, Prague. &
- 1992 Distribution of occupied and vacant butterfly habitats in fragmented landscapes. Oecologia, 92, 563 567. , ,
- 1998 Effects of habitat fragmentation and road density on the distribution pattern of the moor frog Rana arvalis. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 44 56. &
- 1995 Comparison of habitat-isolation parameters in relation to fragmented distribution patterns in the tree frog (Hyla arborea). Landscape Ecology, 11, 203 214. &
- 1991 Declining amphibian populations: a global phenomenon? Findings and recommendations. Alytes, 9, 33 42.
- 1995 Landscape mosaics and ecological theory. Mosaic Landscapes and Ecological Processes (eds L.Hansson, L.Fahrig & G.Merriam), pp. 1 26. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1984 Complex life cycles and community organization in amphibians. A New Ecology: Novel Approaches to Interactive Systems (eds P. W.Price, C. N.Slobodchikoff & W. S.Guad), pp. 114 131. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- 1997 Experimental ecology of food webs: complex systems in temporary ponds. Ecology, 78, 2279 2302.
- 1985 Priority effects in experimental pond communities: responses of Hyla to Bufo and Rana. Ecology, 66, 1106 1114. &