Dispersal of organisms in a patchy stream environment under different settlement scenarios
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Animal Ecology
Volume 69, Issue 4, pages 608–619, July 2000
How to Cite
Bond, N. R., Perry, G. L. W. and Downes, B. J. (2000), Dispersal of organisms in a patchy stream environment under different settlement scenarios. Journal of Animal Ecology, 69: 608–619. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2656.2000.00420.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1998) Interactions between local dynamics and dispersal: insights from single species models. Theoretical Population Biology, 53, 44 59.
- 1983) Simulation of solute transport in a mountain pool-and-riffle stream: a transient storage model. Water Resources Research, 19, 718 724. &
- 1993) Rates of weed spread in spatially heterogeneous environments. Ecology, 74, 999 1011. , ,
- Borland (1997) Borland C++ Programmer's Guide, Version 5.1. Borland International Inc., New York, NY.
- 1992) In-stream hydraulics and sediment transport. The Rivers Handbook(eds P.Calow & G.E.Petts), pp. 101 125. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 1983) Downstream and lateral transport of nymphs of two mayfly species (Ephemeroptera). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 40, 2025 2029.
- 1993) Transient storage in appalachian and cascade mountain streams as related to hydraulic characteristics. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 12, 223 235. , , ,
- 1998) Scaling of colonization processes in streams: parallels and lessons from marine hard substrata. Australian Journal of Ecology, 23, 8 26. &
- 1990) A model of passive settlement by planktonic larvae onto bottoms of differing roughness. Limnology and Oceanography, 35, 887 901.
- 1971) The distances travelled by drifting invertebrates in a Lake District stream. Oecologia, 6, 350 379.
- 1992) Fish predation and the evolution of invertebrate drift periodicity: evidence from neotropical streams. Ecology, 73, 438 448.
- 1999) Fluid mediated dispersal in streams: models of settlement from the drift. Oecologia, 121, 212 223.
- 1994) Connectivity and complexity in landscapes and ecosystems. Pacific Conservation Biology, 1, 194 200.
- 1995) Long distance dispersal of tree seeds. Journal of Botany, 73, 1036 1045. &
- 1997) Analysing shrub encroachment in the southern Kalahari: a grid-based modelling approach. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1297 1508. , , ,
- 1990) Population dynamics in spatially complex environments: theory and data. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 330, 175 190.
- 1982) Recruitment of marine invertebrates: the role of active larval choices and early mortality. Oecologia, 54, 348 352. &
- 1997) Nested hierarchies and scale-dependence of mechanisms of flow refugium use. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 16, 221 238. &
- 1993) Characterizing in-stream flow refugia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 50, 1663 1675. &
- 1996) Invertebrate drift and longitudinal transport processes in streams. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 53, 572 582. , ,
- 1985) An evaluation by field experiments of the McLay model of stream drift. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 42, 909 918. &
- 1990) Spatial distribution and dispersal of unfed larval Ixodes dammini (Acari: Ixodidae) in southern New York. Environmental Entomology, 19, 1029 1033. , ,
- 1997) Field experiments of dispersion through regular arrays of cubic structures. Atmospheric Environment, 31, 783 795. , ,
- 1970) A theory concerning the distance travelled by animals entering the drift of a stream. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 27, 359 370.
- 1997) The effects of vegetation on longitudinal dispersion. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 44, 675 684. , ,
- 1996) Dispersal as a regional process affecting the local dynamics of marine and stream invertebrates. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 11, 322 326. , ,
- 1997) Habitat heterogeneity and algal–grazer interaction in streams: explorations with a spatially explicit model. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 16, 263 276. &
- 1992) Population dynamics in complex landscapes: a case study. Ecological Applications, 2, 165 177. , ,
- 1994) Hydraulic parameters and benthic invertebrate distributions in two gravel-bed New Zealand rivers. Freshwater Biology, 32, 489 500. &
- 1990) Suspension and settlement of particles in flowing water: comparison of the effects of varying water depth and velocity in circulating channels. Freshwater Biology, 24, 23 34. , , ,
- 1998) Scale-dependent foraging and patch choice in fractal environments. Evolutionary Ecology, 12, 309 330.
- 1993) Settlement of benthic marine invertebrates. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 97, 193 207. , ,
- 1997) Challenges and opportunities for empirical evaluation of ‘spatial theory’. Spatial Ecology: The Role of Space in Population Dynamics and Interspecific Interactions(eds D.Tilman & P.Kareiva), pp. 318 333. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. &
- 1989) Beyond simple diffusion models: models of not-so-simple movements of animals and cells. Comments in Theoretical Biology, 1, 65 83.
- 1990) Characterization of the hydraulic habitat of Brachycentrus occidentalis, a filter-feeding caddisfly. Journal of the North American Benthological Society, 9, 157 169. , ,