Assessing the impact of forest disturbance on tropical invertebrates: some comments
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 461–466, June 1998
How to Cite
Basset, Y., Novotny, V., Miller, S. E. and Springate, N. D. (1998), Assessing the impact of forest disturbance on tropical invertebrates: some comments. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 461–466. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1998.00311.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1997 Species-abundance and body size relationships in insect herbivores associated with New Guinea forest trees, with particular reference to insect host-specificity. Canopy Arthropods (eds N. E.Stork, J. A.Adis & R. K.Didham), pp. 237–264. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1994 Using village naturalists for treeplot biodiversity studies. Tropical Biodiversity, 2, 333–338.
- 1993 The effect of forest disturbance on the leaf litter ant fauna in Ghana. Biodiversity and Conservation, 2, 656–666. &
- 1993 The relationship between abundance and body size in natural animal assemblages. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 519–528. , , , , &
- 1997 Diversity, disturbance, and sustainable use of Neotropical forests: insects as indicators for conservation monitoring. Journal of Insect Conservation, 1, 25–42.
- 1994 An index of evenness and its associated diversity measure. Oikos, 70, 167–171.
- 1991The Conservation of Insects and Their Habitats. Academic Press, London. & , eds.
- 1994 Estimating terrestrial biodiversity through extrapolation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 345, 101–118. &
- 1994 Evenness of abundance in bird communities. Journal of Animal Ecology, 63, 365–374. &
- 1997 An overview of invertebrate responses to forest fragmentation. Forests and Insects (eds A.D.Watt, N.E.Stork & M.D.Hunter), pp. 303–320. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1996 Insects in fragmented forests: a functional approach. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 11, 255–260. , , &
- 1996 The diversity, abundance and biomass of termites under differing levels of disturbance in the Mbalmayo Forest Reserve, southern Cameroon. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 351, 51–68. , , , , , &
- 1995 Measuring arthropod biodiversity in the tropical forest canopy. Forest Canopies (eds M.D.Lowman & N.M.Nadkarni), pp. 109–127. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 1993 Comparing animals and automobiles: a vehicle for understanding body size and abundance relationships in species assemblages? Oikos, 66, 172–179. , &
- 1996 Measuring ecological biodiversity. Biodiversity Letters, 3, 58–65.
- 1979 Are there fewer parasitoids in the tropics? The American Naturalist, 113, 766–769.
- 1998 Using species abundance models as indicators of habitat disturbance in tropical forests. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 458–460. &
- 1995 Effects of selective logging on tropical forest butterflies on Buru, Indonesia. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 754–760. , , &
- 1996 The use of regression equations for estimation of arthropod biomass in ecological studies. Acta Oecologica, 17, 421–433.
- 1977 The Lepidoptera of Norfolk Island, Their Biogeography and Ecology, Series Entomologica 13. Dr W. Junk, The Hague.
- 1998 The impact of traditional and modern cultivation practices, including forestry, on Lepidoptera diversity in Malaysia and Indonesia. Dynamics of Tropical Communities (eds D.M.Newbery, H.H.T.Prins & N.Brown), pp. 567–597. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- 1992 The response of some rain forest insect groups to logging and conversion to plantation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 335, 425–436. , &
- 1986 Theories and models of species abundance. American Naturalist, 128, 879–899.
- 1971 The non-concept of species diversity: a critique and alternative parameters. Ecology, 52, 577–586.
- 1997 The effects of different forest management practices on geometroid moth populations and their diversity in Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 9, 411–430. , &
- 1993 The role of the parataxonomists, inventory managers, and taxonomists in Costa Rica's national biodiversity inventory. Biodiversity Prospecting: Using Generic Resources for Sustainable Development (eds W.V.Reid, S.A.Laird, C.A.Meyer, et al.), pp. 223–254. World Resources Institute, Washington. , , ,
- 1992 Pitfall trapping and species–abundance relationships: a value for carabid beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae). Acta Entomologica Bohemoslovaca, 89, 1–12.
- 1992 Assessing the indicator properties of species assemblages for natural areas monitoring. Ecological Applications, 2, 203–217.
- 1993 Terrestrial arthropod assemblages: their use in conservation planning. Conservation Biology, 7, 796–808. , , , , &
- 1983 The detection of differences among assemblages of marine benthic species based on an assessment of dominance and diversity. Journal of Natural History, 17, 859–874. , &
- 1998 Biodiversity inventories, indicator taxa and effects of habitat modification in tropical forest. Nature, 391, 72–76. , , , et al.
- 1988Ecological Diversity and its Measurement . Croom Helm, London.
- 1997 Insect biomass in Amazonian forest fragments. Canopy Arthropods (eds N.E.Stork, J.A.Adis & R.K.Didham), pp. 510–533. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1975 Patterns of species abundance and diversity. Ecology and Evolution of Communities, (eds M.L.Cody & J.M.Diamond), pp. 81–120. Belknap, Cambridge.
- 1996 Taxonomic focus and quality control in insect surveys for biodiversity conservation. Australian Journal of Entomology, 35, 97–106.
- 1993 What can be inferred from species diversity indices? Coenoses, 8, 25–26.
- 1998 Seasonality of sap-sucking insects (Auchenorrhyncha, Hemiptera) feeding on Ficus (Moraceae) in a lowland rain forest in New Guinea. Oecologia, in press. &
- 1997 The diversity of tropical insect herbivores: an approach to collaborative international research in Papua New Guinea. Proceedings of the International Conference on Taxonomy and Biodiversity Conservation in the East Asia (eds B.H.Lee, J.C.Choe & H.Y.Han), pp. 112–125. Korean Institute for Biodiversity Research of Chonbuk National University, Chonju. , , , , &
- 1991 Distribution and flight behaviour of the junglequeen butterfly, Stichophthalma louisa (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae), in an Indochinese montane rainforest. Journal of Research on the Lepidoptra, 30, 279–288. , &
- 1996 The community structure of arthropods in virgin and managed sites in the Kibale Forest, Western Uganda. Tropical Ecology, 37, 201–213.
- 1998 Log-normal distribution of species abundance is not a universal indicator of rainforest disturbance. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 454–457.
- 1989 Dung beetles of the Kibale Forest, Uganda: comparison between virgin and managed forests. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 5, 249–352. &
- 1997 The significance of edge effects in the management of forests for invertebrate biodiversity. Canopy Arthropods (eds N.E.Stork, J.A.Adis & R.K.Didham), pp. 534–550. Chapman & Hall, London. , , &
- 1991 Species-abundance, biomass, and resource-use distributions. American Naturalist, 138, 836–850. , &
- 1993 Putting things in even better order: the advantages of canonical correspondence analysis. Ecology, 74, 2215–2230.
- 1994 Selecting indicator taxa for the qualitative assessment of biodiversity. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 345, 75–79.
- 1962 The canonical distribution of commoness and rarity. Ecology, 43 (185–215), 410–432.
- 1992 Diverse and contrasting effects of habitat fragmentation. Science, 257, 524–527. , , , et al.
- 1998 A test for the adequacy of bioindicator taxa: are tiger beetles (Coleoptera: Cicindelidae) appropriate indicators for monitoring the degradation of tropical forests in Venezuela? Biological Conservation, 83, 69–76. , &
- 1980 Length-weight regressions in tropical and temperate forest-understorey insects. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 73, 106–109.
- 1994 Invertebrate community structure and herbivory in a tropical rain forest canopy in Puerto Rico following hurricane Hugo. Biotropica, 26, 312–319.
- 1988 Canopy arthropods and their response to forest disturbance. Forest Hydrology and Ecology at Coweeta (eds W.T.Swank & D.A.Crossley, Jr ), pp. 207–218. Springer-Verlag, New York. &
- 1985 Biological determinants of species diversity. Journal of Biogeography, 12, 1–20. &
- 1997 Effects of small-scale disturbance on butterfly communities of an Indochinese montane rainforest. Biological Conservation, 80, 9–15. , , &
- 1993 Habitat preferences, distribution and seasonality of the butterflies (Lepidoptera, Papilionoidea) in a montane tropical rain forest, Vietnam. Journal of Biogeography, 20, 109–121. , , &
- 1986 Environmental impact assessment: ‘pseudoreplication’ in time? Ecology, 67, 929–940. , &
- 1980 Minimal community structure: an explanation of species abundance patterns. American Naturalist, 116, 770–787.
- 1991 Insects and tropical forest conservation. The Conservation of Insects and Their Habitats (eds N.M.Collins & J.A.Thomas), pp. 405–424. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1990 Niche apportionment or random assortment: species abundance patterns revisited. Journal of Animal Ecology, 59, 1129–1146.
- 1993 Species abundance patterns and community structure. Advances in Ecological Research, 24, 111–186.
- 1982 Lognormal distributions and the concept of community equilibrium. Oikos, 39, 171–178. &
- 1991 Clearing a tropical rain forest—effects on the ant fauna. Tropical Ecosystems (eds W.Ederlen, N.Ishwaran & P.Müller), pp. 59–68. Margraf Scientific Books, Weikersheim.
- Ruswahyuni 1987 Detection of pollution effects on marine macrobenthos: further evaluation of the species abundance/biomass method. Marine Biology, 95, 193–200. , &
- 1997 Impact of forest loss and regeneration on insect abundance and diversity. Forests and Insects (eds A.D.Watt, N.E.Stork & M.D.Hunter), pp. 273–286. Chapman & Hall, London. , , , et al.