Foxes, rabbits, alternative prey and rabbit calicivirus disease: consequences of a new biological control agent for an outbreaking species in Australia
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 434–453, June 1998
How to Cite
Pech, R. P. and Hood, G. M. (1998), Foxes, rabbits, alternative prey and rabbit calicivirus disease: consequences of a new biological control agent for an outbreaking species in Australia. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 434–453. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1998.00318.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1979 Population biology of infectious diseases. Part I. Nature, 280, 361–367. &
- 1986 The invasion, persistence and spread of infectious diseases within animal and plant communities. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London B, 314, 533–570. &
- 1987 Kangaroo dynamics. Kangaroos: Their Ecology and Management in the Sheep Rangelands of Australia (eds G.Caughley, N.Shepherd & J.Short), pp. 119–134. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1989 Patterns in the modern decline of Western Australia's vertebrate fauna: causes and conservation implications. Biological Conservation, 50, 143–198. &
- 1993 Population dynamics of red kangaroos Macropus rufus in relation to rainfall in the South Australian pastoral zone. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 444–458. &
- 1993 Population dynamics of feral pigs (Sus scrofa) in a tropical riverine habitat complex. Wildlife Research, 20, 625–636.
- 1996 Detection and preliminary characterization of a new rabbit calicivirus related to rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus but nonpathogenic. Journal of Virology, 70, 8614–8623. , , , &
- 1994 Statistical analysis of functional response experiments. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 4, 133–145. &
- 1988 Similarities and contrasts in the diets of foxes, Vulpes vulpes, and cats, Felis catus, relative to fluctuating prey populations and drought. Australian Wildlife Research, 15, 307–317.
- 1987 Ecological relationships. Kangaroos: Their Ecology and Management in the Sheep Rangelands of Australia (eds G.Caughley, N.Shepherd & J.Short), pp. 159–187. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1983 Are big mammals simply little mammals writ large? Oecologia, 59, 7–17. &
- 1995 Rabbit haemorrhagic disease in Great Britain. Proceedings of the 10th Australian Vertebrate Pest Control Conference (ed. M.Statham), Hobart, Tasmania, 29 May–2 June 1995, pp. 423–425. Tasmanian Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries, Hobart. &
- 1992 The outsiders: competition between introduced herbivores and domestic stock in rangeland grazing systems. Australian Rangelands in a Changing Environment, 7th Biennial Conference of the Australian Rangeland Society, Cobar, NSW, 5–8 October 1992, 106–116. Australian Rangeland Society, Cobar.
- 1994 The dynamics of feral pig populations in the semi-arid rangelands of eastern Australia. PhD Thesis, University of Sydney.
- 1983 The fox. Complete Book of Australian Mammals (ed. R.Strahan), pp. 486–487. Angus and Robertson, Sydney.
- 1995 How would rabbit calicivirus disease affect Australian rabbit populations? Proceedings of the 10th Australian Vertebrate Pest Control Conference (ed. M.Statham), Hobart, Tasmania, 29 May–2 June 1995, pp. 381–383. Tasmanian Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries, Hobart.
- 1978 Myxoma virus and myxomatosis in retrospect: the first quarter century of a new disease. Virus and Environment (eds E.Kurstak & K.Maramorosch), pp. 539–570. Academic Press, New York. &
- 1965Myxomatosis. Cambridge University Press, London. &
- 1987 Comparative dynamics of Australasian rabbit populations. Australian Wildlife Research, 14, 491–503. , , , , , , , , &
- 1959 The components of predation as revealed by a study of small mammal predation of the European pine sawfly. Canadian Entomologist, 91, 293–320.
- 1988 Fox control and rock-wallaby population dynamics. Australian Wildlife Research, 15, 435–450. , &
- 1987 Effects of rabbit grazing and fire on a subalpine environment. I. Herbaceous and shrubby vegetation. Australian Journal of Botany, 35, 433–464. , , , , , &
- 1989 Effects of rabbit and kangaroo grazing on two semi-arid grassland communities in central-western New South Wales. Australian Journal of Botany, 37, 375–396. , , , &
- 1984 A new viral disease in rabbits [in Chinese]. Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine, 16, 253–255. , , &
- 1977 Rabbit Oryctolagus cuniculus. The Handbook of British Mammals (eds G.B.Corbet & H.N.Southern), 2nd edn. pp. 130–139. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1981Theoretical Ecology: Principles and Applications. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1995 Modelling the impact of predation on reintroductions of Bridled Nailtail Wallabies. Wildlife Research, 22, 163–171.
- 1990 The impact of European settlement on the vertebrate animals of arid Australia: a conceptual model. Proceedings of the Ecological Society of Australia, 16, 201–213.
- 1970 The rabbit in Australia. Dynamics of Numbers in Populations. Proceedings of the Advanced Study Institute Oosterbeek 1970 (eds P.J.Den Boer & G.R.Bradwell), pp. 478–506. Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation, Wageningen.
- 1962 A study of the biology of the wild rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.) in confined populations. III. Reproduction. Australian Journal of Zoology, 10, 225–267. &
- 1973 Effect of social environment on reproduction in the rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.). Journal of Reproduction and Fertility Suppl., 19, 503–522. &
- 1989 Prolonged prey suppression by carnivores – predator-removal experiments. Oecologia, 78, 458–467. , &
- 1997Potential Impacts on the Australian Native Fauna of Rabbit Calicivirus Disease . Environment Australia, Canberra. , , , &
- 1977 The population ecology of the wild rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.), in a Mediterranean-type climate in New South Wales. Australian Wildlife Research, 4, 171–205.
- 1997 Can foxes be controlled by reducing their fertility? Journal of Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 9, 41–50. , , &
- 1995 Predation models for primary and secondary prey species. Wildlife Research, 22, 55–64. , &
- 1992 Limits to predator regulation of rabbits in Australia: evidence from predator-removal experiments. Oecologia, 89, 102–112. , , &
- 1990 A review of current ideas of the extinction, conservation and management of Australia's terrestrial vertebrate fauna. Proceedings of the Ecological Society of Australia, 16, 287–301. &
- 1987 Plant dynamics. Kangaroos: Their Ecology and Management in the Sheep Rangelands of Australia (eds G.Caughley, N.Shepherd & J.Short), pp. 50–68. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1983 A radiotracking study of four poisoning techniques for control of the European rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.). Australian Wildlife Research, 10, 513–520. &
- 1995 Managing Vertebrate Pests: Foxes. Bureau of Resource Sciences and Australian Nature Conservation Agency, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra. , , &
- 1985 The functional response of kangaroos, sheep and rabbits in an arid grazing system. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 435–447.
- 1998 The extinction of rat-kangaroos (Marsupialia: Potoroidae) in New South Wales, Australia. Conservation Biology, in press.
- 1992 Reintroduction of macropods (Marsupialia: Macropodoidea) in Australia – a review. Biological Conservation, 62, 189–204. , , , &
- 1996 Mammal populations: fluctuation, regulation, life history theory and their implications for conservation. Frontiers and Applications of Population Ecology (eds R.B.Floyd & A.W.Sheppard), pp. 127–154. CSIRO, Melbourne.
- 1997 Fertility control of mammal pests and the conservation of endangered marsupials. Journal of Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 9, 1–16.
- 1998 Predicting effects of predation on conservation of endangered prey. Conservation Biology, 12, 564–575. , , , , &
- 1940 The ecology and population dynamics of the wild rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.). Annals of Applied Biology, 27, 509–526.
- 1993 Nontraditional regression analysis. Ecology, 74, 1629–1637. &
- 1991The Story of the Flinders Ranges Mammals. Kangaroo Press, Kenthurst, NSW.
- 1991 Efficacy, cost and benefit of conventional rabbit control. Rabbit Control (eds B.J.Coman & J.H.Arundel), pp. 13–25. Australian Wool Corporation, Melbourne.
- 1995 Managing Vertebrate Pests: Rabbits. Bureau of Resource Sciences and CSIRO Division of Wildlife and Ecology, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra. , , , &
- 1990 Conservation foci for Australian birds and mammals. Search, 21, 65–68. &