The effect of local change in habitat quality on populations of migratory species
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 418–421, June 1998
How to Cite
Sutherland, W. J. (1998), The effect of local change in habitat quality on populations of migratory species. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 418–421. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1998.00320.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1996 The Exe estuary oystercatcher-mussel model. The Oystercatcher; from Individuals to Populations (ed. J.D.Goss-Custard), pp. 389–392. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1992 Territory quality, parental effort and reproductive success of oystercatchers (Haematopus ostralegus). Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 703–715. , , &
- in press The role of behavioural decision-making in predicting the consequences of human behaviour. Behaviour and Conservation (eds M.Gosling & W.J.Sutherland). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- 1996 A method to quantify the effects of human disturbance on animal populations. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 786–792. , &
- 1995a Deriving population parameters from individual variations in foraging behaviour. I. Empirical game theory distribution model of oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus feeding on mussels Mytilus edulis. Journal of Animal Ecology, 64, 265–276. , , , &
- 1995b Population consequences of winter habitat loss in a migratory shorebird. I. Estimating model parameters. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 337–351. , , , &
- in press Optimal floating strategies: consequences for density dependence and habitat loss. American Naturalist, in press. &
- 1995 Impacts of disturbance on migratory waterfowl. Ibis, 137, S67–S74.
- 1996 A spatial depletion model of the responses on grazing wildfowl to changes in the availability of intertidal vegetation during autumn and winter. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 979–993. , &
- 1998 Intertidal habitat loss and wildfowl numbers: application of a spatial depletion model. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 57–63. , &
- 1996 The effects of traffic on the density of breeding birds in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Biological Conservation, 75, 255–260. , &
- 1994 Changes in the waterbird populations of the Oosterschelde, SW Netherlands, as a result of the large scale coastal engineering works. Hydrobiologia, 282, 509–524. , &
- 1982 Food supply and dispersal in the determination of wintering population levels of oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 14, 223–229.
- 1996a Predicting the consequences of habitat loss for migratory populations. Proceeding of the Royal Society, 263, 1325–1327.
- 1996bFrom Individual Behaviour to Population Ecology. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1994 A spatial model of the interaction between bean geese and wigeon with the consequences for habitat management. Journal of Animal Ecology, 63, 51–59. &
- 1993 Factors affecting the feeding distribution of red-breasted geese Branta ruficolis. Biological Conservation, 63, 61–65. &