Post-burn reproduction of woody plants in a neotropical savanna: the relative importance of sexual and vegetative reproduction
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 35, Issue 3, pages 422–433, June 1998
How to Cite
Hoffmann, W. A. (1998), Post-burn reproduction of woody plants in a neotropical savanna: the relative importance of sexual and vegetative reproduction. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35: 422–433. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1998.00321.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2002
- 1980 Demography and vegetative reproduction. Demography and Evolution in Plant Populations (ed. O.T.Solbrig), pp. 89–106. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- 1966 The clonal growth habit of American aspens. Ecology, 47, 439–447.
- 1972 Use of logarithmic regression in the estimation of plant biomass. Canadian Journal of Botany, 2, 49–53.
- 1996 Fire and Plants. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1984 Variation in seedling recruitment of cape Proteaceae after fire. Journal of Ecology, 72, 209–221. , &
- 1988 The survival and population response to frequent fires of two woody resprouters Banksia serrata and Isopogon anemonifolius. Australian Journal of Botany, 36, 415–431. &
- 1992 Effect of shrubs on recruitment of Quercus douglasii and Quercus lobata in California. Ecology, 73, 2118–2128.
- 1977a Aspectos ecológicos do fogo no cerrado. II. As queimadas e a dispersão de sementes de algumas espécies anemocóricas do estrato herbáceo-subarbustivo. Boletim de Botânica, Universidade de São Paulo, 5, 57–64.
- 1977b Contibução ao Conhecimento do Papel Ecológico das Queimadas na Floração de Espécies do Cerrado. PhD Thesis, Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo.
- 1978 Aspectos ecológicos do fogo no cerrado. I. A temperatura do solo durante as queimadas. Revista Brasileira de Botânica, 1, 93–96.
- 1990 Fire in the ecology of the Brazilian Cerrado. Fire in the Tropical Biota (ed. J.G.Goldhammer), pp. 82–105. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1975 The vegetation of the Serra do Roncador. Biotropica, 7, 112–135.
- 1979 Ecology and management of semi-arid ecosystems in Brazil. Management of Semi-Arid Ecosystems (ed. B.H.Walker), pp. 277–300. Elsevier, Amsterdam. &
- 1978 Population studies on Acacia melanoxylon R.Br. I. Variation in seed and vegetative characteristics. Australian Journal of Botany, 26, 365–379. &
- 1962 Histórico dos trabalhos botânicos sobre o cerrado. Simpósio Sobre O Cerrado (ed. M.G.Ferri), pp. 7–35. Ed.a Edgard Blucher, São Paulo.
- 1996 The effects of cover and fire on seedling establishment in a neotropical savanna. Journal of Ecology, 84, 383–393.
- 1991 Seed germination and life history syndromes in the California chaparral. Botanical Review, 57, 81–116.
- 1985 Forest seedling establishment in neotropical savannas: transplant experiments with Xylopia frutescens and Calophyllum brasiliense. Journal of Biogeography, 12, 373–379.
- 1982 Forest seedling establishment in neotropical savannas: observations and experiments in the Mountain Pine Ridge savanna, Belize. Journal of Biogeography, 9, 193–206. &
- 1993 Ecological impact of agricultural development in the Brazilian cerrados. The World's Savannas (eds M.D.Young & O.T.Solbrig), pp. 259–282. Parthenon Publishing Group, Paris. , &
- 1974 Rhizomes in tropical Eucalypts and their role in recovery from fire damage. Australian Journal of Botany, 22, 29–38.
- 1990 Woody clumps and clumpwoods. Australian Journal of Botany, 38, 299–334. &
- 1982 Fire in Australian tropical savannas. Ecology of Tropical Savannas (eds B.J.Huntley & I.R.Noble), pp. 246–272. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , &
- 1988 Sexual versus vegetative reproduction in Banksia elegans. Botanical Gazatte, 149, 370–375.
- 1996 Impacto do fogo sobre alguns aspectos da biologia reprodutiva de Kielmeyera coriacea MART. Revista Brasileira de Biologia, 56, 127–134. &
- 1993 Clonal propagation, local disturbance, and the structure of vegetation: ericaceous shrubs in the pine barrens of New Jersey. Biological Conservation, 63, 1–8. , &
- 1991 Biomass burning in West African savannas. Global Biomass Burning (ed. J.S.Levine), pp. 133–142. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , , , &
- 1966 Vegetative propagation of Populus spp. I. Influence of temperature on formation and initial growth of aspen suckers. Canadian Journal of Botany, 44, 1183–1189. &
- 1993 Soil and air temperatures during prescribed cerrado fires in central Brazil. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 9, 313–320. , , &
- 1986 The role of fire in recruitment of two neotropical savanna shrubs, Miconia albicans and Clidemia sericea. Biotropica, 18, 224–230. &
- 1992 Fire protection and vegetation dynamics in the Brazilian cerrado. PhD Thesis, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- 1975 The initiation and development of root buds. The Development and Function of Roots (eds G.Torrey & D.T.Clarkson), pp. 125–161. Academic Press, London.
- 1997 Clonality in woody plants: a review and comparison with clonal herbs. The Ecology and Evolution of Clonal Plants (eds H.De Kroon & J.Van Groenendael), pp. 263–289. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. &
- 1979 The role of Rhus copallina in the dynamics of the forest-prairie ecotone in north-central Oklahoma. Ecology, 60, 956–965. &
- 1996 A qualitative successional model to assist the management of Brazilian cerrados. Forest Ecology and Management, 87, 127–138. &
- 1996 FIRETOOL: an expert system for the use of prescribed fires in Brazilian savannas. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 348–356. &
- 1989 Numerical Recipes in PASCAL. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , &
- 1996 Analysis of the floristic composition of the Brazilian Cerrado vegetation. II. Comparison of the woody vegetation of 98 areas. Edinburgh Journal of Botany, 53, 153–180. , , &
- 1973 Observations on the vegetation of northeastern Mato Grosso. I. The woody vegetation types of the Xavantina-Cachimbo expedition area. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, B266, 449–492. , , &
- 1985 Fire and other factors affecting a population of Simarouba amara in cerradão near Brası´lia, Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Botanica, 8, 101–107. &
- 1943 Profundidade dos solos e vegetação em campos cerrados do Brasil meridional. Anais Da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, 15, 267–294. , &
- 1994 Seedling recruitment in forests: calibrating models to predict patterns of tree seedling dispersion. Ecology, 75, 1794–1806. , &
- 1988 Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis. Wadsworth and Brooks/Cole, Patricia Grove, CA.
- 1962 Studies on the underground organs of trees and shrubs from some southern Brazilian savannas. Anais Da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, 34, 235–247. &
- 1997 A LANDSAT MSS-derived fire history of Kakadu National Park, monsoonal northern Australia. 1980–94: seasonal extent, frequency, and patchiness. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 748–766. , &
- 1995 Effects of annual fires on the production of fleshy fruits eaten by birds in a Brazilian Amazonian savanna. Journal of Tropical Ecology, 11, 53–65. &
- 1976 Properties and Management of Soils in the Tropics. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 1995 Biometry. W.H. Freeman, New York. &
- 1992 Responses of tropical savannas to stress and disturbance: a research approach. Ecosystem Rehabilitation. 2. Ecosystem Analysis and Synthesis (ed. M.K.Wali), pp. 63–73. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague. , , , &
- 1980 Principles and Procedures of Statistics. McGraw-Hill, New York. &
- 1990 Stability and stress in the savanna forests of mainland South-East Asia. Journal of Biogeography, 17, 373–383.
- 1984 Fire in savanna. Ecological Effect of Fire in South African Ecosystems (eds P. V.Booysen & N.M.Tainton), pp. 149–175. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1989 Seedling regeneration and the population dynamics of the Eucalypts. Mediterranean Landscapes in Australia (eds J.C.Noble & R.A.Bradstock). CSIRO, East Melbourne, Australia.
- 1990 systat 5.01: The System for Statistics. SYSTAT, Evanston, Illinois.