Macroinvertebrate distributions and the conservation value of aquatic Coleoptera, Mollusca and Odonata in the ditches of traditionally managed and grazing fen at Wicken Fen, UK
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 33–48, February 1999
How to Cite
Painter, D. (1999), Macroinvertebrate distributions and the conservation value of aquatic Coleoptera, Mollusca and Odonata in the ditches of traditionally managed and grazing fen at Wicken Fen, UK. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 33–48. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00376.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1940 British Water Beetles 1. Ray Society. London, UK.
- 1950 British Water Beetles 2. Ray Society. London, UK.
- 1958 British Water Beetles 3. Ray Society. London, UK.
- 1987 canoco– a FORTRAN Program for Community Ordination by (Partial) (Detrended) (Canonical) Correspondence Analysis, Principal Components Analysis and Redundancy Analysis, Version 2.10. Agricultural Mathematics Group, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- 1990 Update Notes: canoco, Version 3.10. Agricultural Mathematics Group, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- 1991 British Red Data Books. 3. Invertebrates other than Insects. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, UK.
- 1973 Field observations and laboratory experiments on the general food requirements of two species of freshwater snail, Planorbis contortus (Linn.) and Ancylus fluviatilis (Mhll.). Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London, 40, 483–489.
- 1981 Ecology of orchard drainage ditches along the freshwater section of the Elbe Estuary. Archiv Für Hydrobiologie, 43 (Suppl.), 347–486. &
- 1982 The biota of a small standing water ecosystem in the Elbe flood plain. Archiv Für Hydrobiologie, 61 (Suppl.), 227–316. &
- 1983 The macroinvertebrate fauna of the drainage channels of the Gwent Levels, South Wales. Freshwater Biology, 13, 205–225. &
- 1986 A regression technique for the estimation of epiphytic invertebrate populations. Freshwater Biology, 16, 161–173.
- in press Factors influencing the species richness of aquatic invertebrates in grazing marsh ditches. Ecology and Management of Drainage and Irrigation Channels (eds A.J.W.Harpley, P.M.Wade, C.Newbold & J.Gardiner). Wiley, Chichester.
- in press A bibliography of ditch surveys in England & Wales. Ecology and Management of Drainage and Irrigation Channels (eds A.J.W.Harpley, P.M.Wade, C.Newbold & J.Gardiner). Wiley, Chichester.
- 1990 Factors affecting the distribution of water beetle species assemblages in drains of eastern England. Journal of Applied Entomology, 109, 217–225. , &
- 1987 The use of Coleoptera in assessing the conservation status of wetlands. The Use of Vertebrates in Site Assessment for Conservation (ed. M.L.Luff), pp. 8–18. Agricultural Environment Research Group, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- 1995 Evidence for pH insensitivity in some insects inhabiting peat pools in the Loch Fleet catchment. Chemistry and Ecology, 9, 207–215.
- 1992 Classification and Ranking of Water Beetle Communities. UK Nature Conservation, Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, UK. &
- 1990 Classification of water beetle assemblages in arable fenland: ranking of sites in relation to conservation value. Freshwater Biology, 22, 343–354. , , &
- 1988 A Key to the Adults of British Water Beetles. The Field Studies Council, Preston Montford, UK.
- 1994 Wicken Fen: the management of a nature reserve. A Manual of Heritage Management (ed. R.Harrison), pp. 135–139. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- 1997 Aquatic habitats and communities. Wicken Fen: the Making of a Nature Reserve (ed. L.E.Friday), pp. 22–45. Harley Books, Colchester, UK. &
- 1971 A study on morphobiotic adaptations of European species of the Dytiscidae (Coleoptera). Polskie Pismo Entomologiczne, 41, 487–702.
- 1979 twinspan– A FORTRAN Program for Arranging Multivariate Data in an Ordered Two-Way Table by Classification of the Individuals and Attributes. Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.
- 1992 A Review of the Scarce and Threatened Coleoptera of Great Britain, no. 12. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, UK.
- 1977 Atlas of the Non-Marine Mollusca of the British Isles. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Cambridge, UK.
- 1992 Habitat Management for Invertebrates: a Practical Handbook. RSPB, Sandy, UK.
- 1988 Environmental change and freshwater macroinvertebrates at Wicken Fen, Cambridgeshire. PhD Thesis. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- 1997 The National Trust and the management of the Fen. Wicken Fen: the Making of a Nature Reserve (ed. L.E.Friday), pp. 213–254. Harley Books, Colchester, UK. , &
- 1977 A Key to the British Fresh- and Brackish-Water Gastropods. Freshwater Biological Association, Ambleside, UK.
- 1989 Water Analysis: Some Revised Methods for Limnologists. Freshwater Biological Association, Ambleside, UK. , &
- 1996Atlas of the Dragonflies of Britain and Ireland. HMSO, London, UK. , &
- 1987 Naturalists’ Handbooks 7. Dragonflies. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1989 Nature Conservation and the Management of Drainage Channels. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough, UK. , &
- 1994 Abundance and species richness patterns of predaceous diving beetles (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae) in Swedish lakes. Journal of Biogeography, 21, 197–206. , &
- 1990Lakes and Snails. Universal Book Services/ Dr. W. Backhuys, Oegstgeest.
- 1926 Additions to the Mollusca of Wicken Fen. The Natural History of Wicken Fen (ed. J.S.Gardiner), p. 652. Bowes & Bowes, Cambridge, UK.
- 1994 Some records of aquatic Coleoptera and Mollusca from Wicken Fen. Nature in Cambridgeshire, 36, 88–91.
- 1995 Fen ditch excavation patterns: effects on aquatic communities. PhD Thesis. University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
- 1998 Effects of ditch management patterns on Odonata at Wicken Fen NNR, Cambridgeshire, UK. Biological Conservation, 84, 189–195.
- 1995 Restoring fen ditches: the case of Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve. Restoration of Temperate Wetlands (eds B.D.Wheeler, S.C.Shaw, W.J.Fojt & R.A.Robertson), pp. 241–250. John Wiley, Chichester, UK. &
- 1995 Morphometric patterns among diving beetles (Coleoptera: Noteridae, Hygrobiidae, and Dytiscidae). Canadian Journal of Zoology, 73, 2343–2360. &
- 1986 The history of drainage at Wicken Fen, Cambridgeshire, England, and its relevance to conservation. Biological Conservation, 35, 111–142.
- 1984 Distribution of macro-invertebrates in a ditch in relation to the vegetation. Freshwater Biology, 14, 367–370. , &
- 1987 British Red Data Books. 2. Insects. Nature Conservancy Council, Peterborough, UK.
- 1990 A Key to the Case-Bearing Caddis Larvae of Britain and Ireland. Freshwater Biological Association, Ambleside, UK. , &
- Wicken Fen Local Management Committee 1992 Wicken Fen Management Plan 1992–97. Part A. Methods of working. The National Trust, Wicken Fen, UK.
- 1997 Fresh- and brackish-water molluscs: some current conservation issues. British Wildlife, 8, 151–159.