Foraging behaviour of sheep and red deer within natural heather/grass mosaics
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 133–146, February 1999
How to Cite
Hester, A. J., Gordon, I. J., Baillie, G. J. and Tappin, E. (1999), Foraging behaviour of sheep and red deer within natural heather/grass mosaics. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 133–146. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00387.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1965 Studies on the red deer, Cervus elaphus L., in Scandinavia. III. Ecological investigations. Viltrevy, 3, 208–351. Swedish Sportsmen's Association, Stockholm.
- 1987 Relationships between movement rate, agonistic displacements and forage availability in Spanish ibexes (Capra pyrenaica). Biology of Behaviour, 12, 245–255. &
- 1974 Observational study of behaviour: sampling methods. Behaviour, 49, 222–265.
- 1981 Increased sheep numbers and the loss of heather moorland in the Peak District, England. Biological Conservation, 20, 195–213. &
- 1997a A model of the grazing of hill vegetation by sheep in the UK. I. The prediction of vegetation biomass. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 166–185. , , , , &
- 1997b A model of the grazing of hill vegetation by sheep in the UK. II. The prediction of offtake by sheep. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 186–206. , , , , &
- 1995 The effects of grazing on vegetation species composition. Heaths and Moorland: Cultural Landscapes (eds D.B.A.Thompson, A.J.Hester & M.B.Usher), pp. 162–173. HMSO, edinburgh. &
- 1998 Utilization of heterogeneous grasslands by domestic herbivores: theory to management. Anneles de Zootechnie., 47, 321–333. , &
- 1996 Mechanisms that result in large herbivore grazing distribution patterns. Journal of Range Management, 49, 386–400. , , , , , &
- 1983 Sheep-grazing as a management tool for heathland conservation and regeneration in the Netherlands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 20, 541–560. , , , &
- 1974Farming the Red Deer. HMSO, London. , , , &
- 1995 Cyclic succession and shifting mosaics in a cattle grazed heathlands in the Netherlands. Proceedings of the Fifth International Rangeland Congress, Utah 1995 (ed. N.E.West), pp. 58–59. Society for Range Management, Denver, Colorado.
- 1977 The energy cost of locomotion on the level and on gradients for the red deer (Cervus elaphus). Quarterly Journal of Experimental Physiology, 62, 333–339. &
- 1977 Selection of upland swards by red deer (Cervus elaphus L.) on Rhum. Journal of Applied Ecology, 14, 55–64. , &
- 1964 The energy metabolism of sheep walking on the level and on gradients. British Journal of Nutrition, 18, 47–54.
- 1995a. The influence of vegetation pattern on the grazing of heather moorland by red deer and sheep. I. The location of animals on grass/heather mosaics. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 166–176. , &
- 1995b. The influence of vegetation pattern on the grazing of heather moorland by red deer and sheep. II. The impact on heather. Journal of Applied Ecology, 32, 177–186. , &
- 1989Red Deer in the Highlands: the Ecology of a Marginal Population. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. &
- 1982Red Deer: Behaviour and Ecology of Two Sexes. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , &
- 1987 Sexual segregation and density related changes in habitat use in male and female red deer (Cervus elaphus). Journal of Zoology, 211, 275–289. , &
- 1970 The grazing ecology of red deer and blackface sheep in Perthshire, Scotland. PhD Thesis, University of Edinburgh.
- 1991 Spatial components of plant–herbivore interactions in pastoral, ranching, and native ungulate ecosystems. Journal of Range Management, 44, 530–542.
- 1992 The influence of vegetation pattern on the distribution and social behaviour of blackface sheep. BSc Thesis, University of Aberdeen.
- 1998 Optimal diet choice for large herbivores: an extended contingency model. Functional Ecology, 12, 74–81. &
- 1981 Conservation of Calluno-Vaccinietum heathland in the Belgian Ardennes, an experimental approach. Vegetatio, 47, 193–200.
- 1987 Slope use by cattle, feral horses, deer and bighorn sheep. Northwest Science, 61, 74–81.
- 1991The Measurement and Analysis of Land Cover Change in the Cairngorms. Report to the Scottish Office Department and the Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department. Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Aberdeen. , , &
- Genstat, 5 Committee 1993Genstat 5 Release 3 Reference Manual. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- 1997 Forage intake by black-tailed deer in a natural environment: bout dynamics. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 75, 1118–1128. , &
- 1972Ecology of Heathlands. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1980 An aspect of feeding behavior and its importance to grazing systems. Journal of Range Management, 33, 426–427. &
- 1996 The effect of post-capture management strategy on the welfare and productivity of wild red deer (Cervus elaphus) hinds introduced to farming systems. Animal Science, 63, 315–327. , &
- 1989 Vegetation community selection by ungulates on the Isle of Rhum. II. Vegetation community selection. Journal of Applied Ecology, 26, 53–64.
- 1988 Incisor arcade structure and diet selection in ruminants. Functional Ecology, 2, 15–22. &
- 1992 Foraging strategy: monoculture to mosaic. Progress in Sheep and Goat Research (ed. A.W.Speedy), pp. 153–77. CAB International, Wallingford. &
- 1979 The natural shelter for red deer (Cervus elaphus) in a Scottish glen. Journal of Applied Ecology, 16, 37–48. &
- 1978 Effects of season and level of grazing on the utilization of heather by sheep. I. Responses of the sward. Journal of the British Grassland Society, 33, 289–300. , , &
- 1995 Movement rules for herbivores in spatially heterogeneous environments: responses to small scale pattern. Landscape Ecology, 10, 209–217. , , &
- 1982 Cervid activity patterns in relation to foraging constraints: Western Washington. Northwest Science, 56, 208–217.
- 1997 A nutritional view of understanding and complexity in the problem of diet selection by deer (Cervidiae). Oikos, 79, 209–218.
- 1994The Environmentally Sensitive Areas Designated in Scotland. The Loch Lomond ESA Biological Monitoring Report, Years One to Five. 1989–93. Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Aberdeen. , , , &
- 1998 Spatial and temporal patterns of heather use by sheep and red deer within natural heather/grass mosaics. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 772–784.WP ***font***WP ***font***. &
- 1996 Activity patterns and resource use by sheep and red deer grazing across a grass/heather boundary. Journal of Zoology, 240, 609–20. , , &
- 1996 The Ecology and Management of Grazing Systems. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. &
- 1989 Evolutionary steps of ecophysiological adaptation and diversification of ruminants: a comparative view of their digestive system. Oecologia, 78, 443–457.
- 1962 Hill sheep and their pasture: a study of sheep grazing in south-east Scotland. Journal of Ecology, 50, 561–580.
- 1992 Discrimination and patch choice by sheep grazing grass-clover swards. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 183–194. , &
- 1987 The allometry of food intake in grazing ruminants. Journal of Animal Ecology, 56, 989–999. &
- 1993a Optimal grazing of wapiti (Cervus elaphus) on grassland: patch and feeding station departure rules. Evolutionary Ecology, 7, 488–498. &
- 1993b Foraging postures of wapiti (Cervus elaphus). Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 36, 275–287. &
- 1996 The effects of cattle grazing on optimal foraging in mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus). Forest Ecology and Management, 88, 131–138.
- 1994 Spatial and behavioural response of white tailed deer to forage depletion. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 72, 506–513. &
- 1985 Heath conservation by sheep grazing: a cost–benefit analysis. Biological Conservation, 31, 67–74. , &
- 1996 The Soil Resource of Scotland – Future Options for its Management. Soils, Sustainability and the Natural Heritage (eds A.G.Taylor, J.E.Gordon & M.B.Usher), pp. 69–91. HMSO, edinburgh. , &
- 1996 Climate, plant phenology and variation in age at first reproduction in a temperate herbivore. Journal of Animal Ecology, 65, 653–670. , , &
- 1993 Feeding patch choice by red deer in relation to foraging efficiency. Oecologia, 95, 164–170. &
- 1977African Ungulates: a Comparative Review of Their Ethology and Behavioural Ecology. Springer, Berlin.
- 1992The Behaviour of Sheep. Biological Principles and Implications for Production. CAB International & CSIRO, Canberra, Australia. , &
- 1989 The effects of removing sheep grazing on soil chemistry, above-ground nutrient distribution and selected aspects of soil fertility in long-term experiments at Moor House National Nature Reserve. Journal of Applied Ecology, 26, 647–661. , &
- 1993 Winter foraging behaviour of elk in the shrub-steppe of Washington. Journal of Wildlife Management, 57, 881–890.
- 1998 The impact of Vertebrate Herbivores on the natural heritage of the Scottish uplands: a review. Scottish Natural Heritage Review, 95, 1–127. , , , &
- 1978 A comparison of the voluntary intake and digestion of a range of forages at different times of the year by the sheep and the red deer (Cervus elaphus). British Journal of Nutrition, 40, 347–357. , , &
- in press Modelling of grazing systems at the farm level. Annals Zootechnie., in press. &
- 1977Ecology of Red Deer: a Research Review Relevant to Their Management in Scotland. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Banchory. , &
- National Countryside Monitoring Scheme 1993 NCMS Phase I (1940s–1970s). Summary Report for Scotland. Scottish Natural Heritage, Perth.
- 1958 Some observations on the ecology of an upland grazing in north-east Scotland with special reference to Callunetum. Journal of Ecology, 46, 239–270. &
- 1977 Mixed grazing by sheep and steers – a review. Herbage Abstracts, 47, 367–379. &
- 1994The Environmentally Sensitive Areas Designated in Scotland. The Breadalbane ESA Biological Monitoring Report, Years One to Five. 1989–93. Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Aberdeen. , , &
- 1999 Heather utilization along paths by red deer and sheep in a natural grass/heather mosaic. Botanical Journal of Scotland., in press. &
- 1984 Habitat use by red deer (Cervus elaphus L.) and sheep in the West Highlands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 21, 497–506.
- 1995 Grazing patterns of browsing ruminants in a heterogeneous landscape. Proceedings of the Fifth International Rangeland Congress, Utah, 199 (ed. N.E.West), pp. 424–425. Society for Range Management, Denver, Colorado. , , , &
- 1997 Prediction of the shoot production of heather under grazing in the uplands of Great Britain. Grass and Forage Science, 52, 408–424.
- 1984 Energy expenditures for locomotion by mule deer and elk. Journal of Wildlife Management, 48, 474–488. , &
- 1993 The effects of group size on grazing time in sheep. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 37, 101–109. , , , &
- 1991 Patterns of ingestive behaviour of sheep continuously stocked on monocultures of ryegrass or white clover. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 31, 237–250. , &
- 1995 Foraging on patches: are groups disadvantaged? Oikos, 72, 148–150.
- 1983 Winter ecology of non-migratory Alpine red deer. Oecologia, 95, 226–233.
- 1996 Observations of sheep foraging in familiar and unfamiliar environments: familiarity with the environment influences diet selection. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 49, 165–171. , &
- 1987 Large herbivore foraging and ecological hierarchies. Bioscience, 37, 789–799. , , , , &
- 1995 The imminent destruction of northwest European heaths due to atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Heaths and Moorland: Cultural Landscapes (eds D.B.A.Thompson, A.J.Hester & M.B.Usher), pp. 206–17. HMSO, edinburgh.
- 1995 The effect of seasonal change on the group size, group composition and activity budget of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Ohio Journal of Science, 95, 321–324. &
- 1992 Mechanisms of foraging in mammalian herbivores: new models of functional response. American Naturalist, 140, 325–348. &
- 1976 The use of natural shelter by red deer in north-east Scotland. Journal of Zoology, 180, 1–8.
- 1995 The impacts of red deer and their management on the natural heritage in the uplands. Heaths and Moorland: Cultural Landscapes (eds D.B.A.Thompson, A.J.Hester & M.B.Usher), pp. 294–308. HMSO, edinburgh. , &
- 1991 Range management and nature conservation in the British uplands. Ecological Change in the Uplands (eds M.B.Usher & D.B.A.Thompson), pp. 323–338. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford. &
- 1987 Camping and faeces distribution by merino sheep. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 17, 273–288. , , &
- 1995Heaths and Moorland: Cultural Landscapes. HMSO, edinburgh. , & , eds.
- 1990 Feeding competition between grazing red deer hinds. Animal Behaviour, 40, 105–111.
- 1995 Upland land cover change in post-war Scotland. Heaths and Moorland: Cultural Landscapes (eds D.B.A.Thompson, A.J.Hester & M.B.Usher), pp. 28–42. HMSO, edinburgh. &
- 1993 Patch information and estimation: a cost of group foraging. Oikos, 68, 258–266.
- 1984 A comparison of methods for estimating aerodynamic resistance of heather (Calluna vulgaris L. Hull) in the field. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 32, 289–305. , , &
- 1978 Trampling effects of hikers, motorcycles and horses in meadows and forests. Journal of Applied Ecology, 15, 451–457. &
- 1985 Studies in the grazing of heather moorland in north-east Scotland IV. Seed dispersal and plant establishment in dung. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 461–472.