Present address: The Game Conservancy Trust, The Gillett, Forest-in-Teesdale, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 0HA, UK.
Effects of supplementary feeding on territoriality, breeding success and survival of pheasants
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 147–156, February 1999
How to Cite
Hoodless, A. N., Draycott, R. A. H., Ludiman, M. N. and Robertson, P. A. (1999), Effects of supplementary feeding on territoriality, breeding success and survival of pheasants. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 147–156. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00388.x
‡ Present address: Game Conservancy Limited, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP6 1EF, UK.
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1978 Nutrient reserves and reproductive performance of female lesser snow geese. Auk, 95, 459–471. &
- 1988 Effects of population density and supplemental food on reproduction in song sparrows. Journal of Animal Ecology, 57, 119–136. &
- 1972 Influence of metabolizable energy on condition and reproduction of pheasants. Journal of Wildlife Management, 36, 12–23. &
- 1982 Effects of dietary protein levels on ruffed grouse reproduction. Journal of Wildlife Management, 46, 569–579. &
- 1998 Wild game conservation on arable land – towards a better future. Game Conservancy Trust Review, 29, 66–69.
- 1992 Nutritional constraints on egg formation in the lesser black-backed gull: an experimental study. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 521–532. , &
- 1990 Food supplementation experiments with terrestrial vertebrates: patterns, problems, and the future. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 68, 203–220.
- 1963 Effect of limited food intake on cyclic annual changes in ring-necked pheasant hens. Journal of Wildlife Management, 27, 24–36. , &
- 1992 Survival and breeding success of reared and wild ring-necked pheasants in Sweden. Journal of Wildlife Management, 56, 368–376. , , &
- 1988 Impacts of supplemental feeding on survival rates of black-capped chickadees. Ecology, 69, 581–589. &
- 1980 Effects of food addition to willow tit Parus montanus and crested tit P. cristatus at the time of breeding. Ornis Scandinavica, 11, 173–178. &
- 1980 Calories, water, lipid and yolk in avian eggs. Condor, 82, 335–343. , &
- 1968 The effect of predator removal on pheasant reproductive success. Journal of Wildlife Management, 32, 683–697. , &
- 1980The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 2. Oxford University Press, Oxford. & , eds.
- 1985 The influence of food on time budgets and timing of breeding of the dunnock Prunella modularis. Ibis, 127, 100–110. &
- 1988 Winter survival and territory acquisition in a northern population of black-capped chickadees. Auk, 105, 727–736. , &
- 1990 The effect of food supplementation on the reproductive success of black-billed magpies Pica pica. Ibis, 132, 595–602. &
- 1982 Clutch size and laying date in the kestrel Falco tinnunculus: effect of supplementary food. Ibis, 24, 210–213. , , &
- 1997 Availability of weed seeds and waste cereals to birds on arable fields during spring. 1997 Brighton Crop Protection Conference, pp. 1155–60. British Crop Protection Council, Farnham. , , &
- 1998 Effects of spring feeding on body condition of captive-reared ring-necked pheasants in Great Britain. Journal of Wildlife Management, 62, 557–563. , , &
- 1978 Territorial responses to energy manipulations in the Anna hummingbird. Oecologia, 31, 277–292. &
- 1983 Effects of resource depression on use of inexpensive and escalated aggressive behavior: experimental tests using Anna hummingbirds. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, 12, 95–101. &
- 1982 Effects of supplemental feeding on timing of breeding, clutch-size and polygyny in red-winged blackbirds Agelaius phoeniceus. Journal of Animal Ecology, 51, 429–450. &
- 1972 The effect of supplementary food on a population of wood mice (Apodemus sylvaticus). Journal of Animal Ecology, 41, 553–566.
- 1971 Field populations of deermice with supplemental food. Ecology, 52, 138–146.
- 1981 The ‘polygyny threshold’ model: a reassessment. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 59, 902–910. , &
- 1968 Winter weight loss related to subsequent weights and reproduction in penned pheasant hens. Journal of Wildlife Management, 27, 234–247. &
- 1990 Male characteristics, viability, and harem size in the pheasant, Phasianus colchicus. Animal Behaviour, 40, 89–104. , , , &
- 1993a Spacing behaviour of male pheasants, Phasianus colchicus, in relation to dominance and mate acquisition. Animal Behaviour, 45, 93–103. , &
- 1993b Territory acquisition and mating success in pheasants, Phasianus colchicus: an experiment. Animal Behaviour, 46, 721–730. , &
- 1991 The effects of changes in food availability on the breeding ecology of great skuas Catharacta skua in Shetland. Journal of Zoology, 223, 175–188. , &
- 1978 The influence of food availability on the white-footed mouse: populations in isolated woodlots. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 56, 2530–2541. &
- 1979 Influence of supplemental food on local populations of. Peromyscus Leucopus. Journal of Mammalogy, 60, 335–342. &
- 1985 The feeding ecology and survival of pheasant chicks on arable farmland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 645–654.
- 1988a Breeding success of wild and hand-reared ring-necked pheasants. Journal of Wildlife Management, 52, 446–450. &
- 1988b The Pheasant. Ecology, Management and Conservation. BSP Professional Books, Oxford. &
- 1981 Effect of additional food on reproductive success in the magpie (Pica pica). Journal of Animal Ecology, 50, 219–229.
- 1987 Food shortage for breeding black-billed magpies (Pica pica): an experiment using supplemental food. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 65, 1270–1274. &
- in press Spring foraging behaviour and diet of released ring-neck pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) in the United Kingdom. Perdix VII, International Symposium on Partridges, Quails and Pheasants (eds M.Birkan, L.M.Smith, N.J.Aebischer, F.J.Purroy & P.A.Robertson). Gibier Faune Sauvage, 15. , , &
- 1981 Winter mortality and food supply in tits Parus spp. Oikos, 37, 313–322. , &
- 1970 Effect of a fox control programme on the bag of some other game species. Proceedings of the 9th International Congress of Game Biologists, P. 480. Moscow, Russia.
- 1974 Advancement of laying great tits by the provision of food. Ibis, 116, 365–367.
- 1973 Energetics of reproduction in birds. Breeding Biology of Birds (ed. D.S.Farner), pp. 78–107. National Academy of Sciences, Washington DC.
- 1976 Habitat selection by cock pheasants in spring. Journal of Applied Ecology, 13, 691–704. &
- 1994 Survival and reproduction of wild and pen-reared ring-necked pheasant hens. Journal of Wildlife Management, 58, 501–506.
- 1994 The impact of rotational set-aside on pheasants. Game Conservancy Trust Review, 25, 83–84.
- 1987 Food as a limit on breeding birds: a life-history perspective. Annual Review of Ecological Systems, 18, 453–487.
- 1989 The relationship between food supply, reproductive effort and breeding success in Arctic terns Sterna paradisea. Journal of Animal Ecology, 58, 261–274. , , , &
- 1984 Maternal nutrition, egg quality and breeding success of Scottish ptarmigan Lagopus mutus. Ibis, 126, 212–220. &
- 1975 Maternal nutrition and breeding success in red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scoticus). Journal of Animal Ecology, 44, 233–244. , &
- 1981 Effect of additional food on laying dates and clutch size of sparrowhawks Accipiter nisus. Ornis Scandinavica, 12, 224–229. &
- 1969 On the evolution of mating systems in birds and mammals. American Naturalist, 103, 589–603.
- 1995 Life-history strategy of the herring gull: changes in survival and fecundity in a population subjected to various feeding conditions. Journal of Animal Ecology, 64, 592–599. &
- 1975 Relation of avian egg weight to body weight. Auk, 92, 750–765. , &
- 1992 The effect of extra food on fitness in breeding carrion crows. Ecology, 73, 330–335.
- 1987 Social organization in the pheasant (Phasianus colchicus): harem formation, mate selection and the role of mate guarding. Journal of Zoology, 211, 619–630. &
- 1992 Spring body condition, fecundity and survival in female willow ptarmigan. Journal of Animal Ecology, 61, 215–223. , &
- 1985 Habitat selection and the relative distributions of wild and hand-reared pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) as determined by winter trapping. Journal of the World Pheasant Association, 10, 87–99.
- 1991 Estimating the nesting success and productivity of British pheasants Phasianus colchicus from nest-record schemes. Bird Study, 38, 73–79.
- 1992Woodland Management for Pheasants. Forestry Commission Bulletin 106. HMSO, London.
- 1990 The effects of hand-rearing on wild gamebird populations. The Future of Wild Galliformes in the Netherlands (eds J.T.Lumeij & Y.R.Hoogeveen), pp. 158–71. Amersfoort, The Netherlands. &
- 1993 Factors affecting winter pheasant density in British woodlands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 459–464. , &
- 1993 Effects of land-use on breeding pheasant density. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 465–477. , , &
- 1988 Evidence for prey limitation of common and roseate tern reproduction. Condor, 90, 852–859. , , &
- 1980 A winter feeding experiment on an island song sparrow population. Oecologia, 47, 164–170. , , &
- 1991 Conservation headlands: a practical combination of intensive cereal farming and conservation. The Ecology of Temperate Cereal Fields (eds L.G.Firbank, N.Carter, J.F.Derbyshire & G.R.Potts), pp. 373–397. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford.
- 1998 Land use changes and the decline of farmland wildlife: an appraisal of the set-aside approach. Biological Conservation, 83, 259–268.
- 1990 Indirect impacts of pesticides on the production of wild gamebirds in Britain. Perdix V. Gray Partridge and Ring-Necked Pheasant Workshop (eds K.E.Church, R.E.Warner & S.J.Brady), pp. 84–102. Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, Emporia. &
- 1996 The changing face of lowland farming and wildlife. Part 2. 1945–95. British Wildlife, 7, 162–172.
- 1997 The effects of fluctuating food availability on breeding Arctic terns (Sterna paradisaea). Auk, 114, 524–530. &
- 1985 Breeding territory quality and agonistic behavior: effects of energy availability and intruder pressure in hummingbirds. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology, 16, 203–207.
- 1974 Relationship of red foxes and other predators to populations of ring-necked pheasants and other prey, South Dakota. Transactions of the North American Wildlife Conference, 39, 241–255. , &
- 1980 Population fluctuations of the great tit and feeding conditions in winter. Ardea, 68, 143–164.
- 1984 Effects of food enrichment on numbers and spacing behaviour of red grouse. Journal of Animal Ecology, 53, 663–678. , &
- 1979 Red grouse populations on experimentally treated and untreated Irish bog. Journal of Applied Ecology, 16, 433–452. &
- 1990 Systat, the System for Statistics. Systat Inc., Evanstan, Illinois, USA.
- 1994 Weight, carcase composition and reproductive performance of pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) fed restricted or unrestricted diets. Research in Veterinary Science, 57, 119–124.
- 1974 The effect of food and predation on breeding density and success, clutch size and laying date of the crow (Corvus corone L.). Journal of Animal Ecology, 43, 479–498.