Raptor distribution in relation to landscape composition in semi-arid Mediterranean habitats
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 254–262, April 1999
How to Cite
Sánchez-Zapata, José. A. and Calvo, J. F. (1999), Raptor distribution in relation to landscape composition in semi-arid Mediterranean habitats. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 254–262. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00396.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Analytical Software 1992An Interactive Statistical Analysis Program for IBM PC. Analytical Sotware, St. Paul. MN.
- 1982 Bald Eagle nest site selection and nesting habitat in Maryland. Journal of Wildlife Management, 46, 383–390. &
- 1997 The breeding performance of the Buzzard Buteo buteo in Argyll, Scotland and a comparison with other areas in Britain. Bird Study, 44, 146–154. &
- 1997 Forest structure and prey abundance in foraging areas of northern goshawks. Ecological Applications, 7, 564–571. &
- 1996 Low-intensity farming systems in the conservation of the countryside. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 413–424. &
- 1998 Traditional farming and key foraging habitats for chough Phyrrocorax phyrrocorax conservation in a Spanish pseudosteppe landscape. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 232–239. , &
- 1998 Austral migrants and the evolution of migration in New World birds: diet, habitat and migration revisited. American Naturalist, 152, 311–319. &
- 1985Habitat Selection in Birds. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego. , ed.
- 1983Introduction to Statistical Modelling. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1993 Factors influencing nest site selection, breeding density and breeding success in the bearded vulture Gypaetus barbatus. Journal of Applied Ecology, 30, 504–514. , &
- 1997 Habitat selection by immature Spanish imperial eagles during the dispersal period. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1359–1364. &
- 1996 Using landscape ecology to test hypotheses about large-scale abundance patterns in migratory birds. Ecology, 77, 28–35. &
- 1979Spatiotemporal Ecology of Four Sympatric Raptor Species. PhD Thesis, University of Minnesota, Minnesota.
- 1981 Methods of detecting and counting raptors: a review. Studies in Avian Biology, 6, 235–246. &
- 1994 Buzzards Buteo buteo and ravens Corvus corax in the uplands of Britain: limits to distribution and abundance. Ibis, 137, S75–S84. , , , &
- 1995 Habitat and landscape factors influencing the presence of individual breeding bird species in woodland fragments. Journal of Avian Biology, 26, 94–104. , , &
- 1994Handbook of the Birds of the World, Vol. 2. New World Vultures to Guineafowl. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. , & , eds.
- 1982 Goshawk hunting behaviour and range size as a function of food and habitat availability. Journal of Animal Ecology, 51, 69–80.
- 1996 Goshawk adaptation to deforestation: does Europe differ from North America? Raptors in Human Landscapes (eds D.Bird, D.Varland & J.Negro), pp. 233–244. Raptor Research Foundation. Academic Press, San Diego.
- 1989 Do goshawks Accipiter gentilis need forests? Some conservation lessons from radio tracking. Raptors in the Modern World (eds B-U.Meyburg & R.D.Chancellor) WWGBP, Berlin. &
- 1995 Landscape characteristics of fragmented shrubsteppe habitats and breeding passerine birds. Conservation Biology, 9, 1059–1071. Direct Link: &
- 1996 A comparative study of nest-site occupancy and breeding performance as indicators for nesting-habitat quality in three European raptor species. Ethology Ecology and Evolution, 8, 1–18.
- 1990 Multiple scales of patchiness and patch structure: a hierarchical framework for the study of heterogeneity. Oikos, 59, 253–260. &
- 1981 Impact of man and his animals on Mediterranean vegetation. Ecosystems of the World, II, Mediterranean Shrublands (eds F.Di Castri, D.W.Goodall & R.L.Specht), pp. 479–521. Elsevier Scientific, Amsterdam.
- 1989Generalised Linear Modelling. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1995 Relationships between landscape structure and breeding birds in the Oregon Coast Range. Ecological Monographs, 65, 235–260. &
- 1979 Population Ecology of Raptors. T. & A.D. Poyser. Berkhamsted.
- 1989 How to make biological surveys go further with generalised linear models. Biological Conservation, 50, 51–75.
- 1997Farming and Birds in Europe. Academic Press, London. &
- 1995Ecología de Las Aves de Presa de la Región de Murcia. Servicio de Publicaciones de la Universidad de Murcia, Murcia, Spain. , , &
- 1991 Biological consequences of ecosystem fragmentation: a review. Conservation Biology, 5, 18–32. , &
- 1982 The controversy over interspecific competition. American Scientist, 70, 586–595.
- 1993 Spacing of birds of prey in southern Finland. Ornis Fennica, 70, 129–143.
- 1986Wildlife 2000: Modelling Habitat Relationships of Terrestrial Vertebrates. The University of Wisconsin press, Wisconsin. , &
- 1983 Poisson regression models of species abundance. Journal of Biogeography, 10, 153–160. &
- 1989 Spatial scaling in ecology. Functional Ecology, 3, 385–397.
- 1987 Habitat occupancy patterns of North American shrubsteppe birds: the effects of spatial scale. Oikos, 48, 132–147. , &
- 1985 Nest predation in forest tracks and the decline of migratory songbirds. Ecology, 66, 1211–1214.