Does variation in census area confound density comparisons?
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 2, pages 191–204, April 1999
How to Cite
Gaston, K. J., Blackburn, T. M. and Gregory, R. D. (1999), Does variation in census area confound density comparisons?. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 191–204. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00401.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1983 Area-dependent changes in the bird communities and vegetation of southern Wisconsin forests. Ecology, 64, 1057–1068. &
- 1990 Rarity in Neotropical forest mammals and its ecological correlates. Conservation Biology, 4, 181–192. , &
- 1987 Relationships between the regional abundance of forest and the composition of forest bird communities. Biological Conservation, 39, 129–152. , &
- 1992Bird Census Techniques. Academic Press, London. , &
- 1996 Abundance-body size relationships: the area you census tells you more. Oikos, 75, 303–309. &
- 1997a Who is rare? Artefacts and complexities of rarity determination. The Biology of Rarity (eds W.E.Kunin & K.J.Gaston), pp. 48–60. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1997b A critical assessment of the form of the interspecific relationship between abundance and body size in animals. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 233–249. &
- 1983 Latitudinal gradients and local variations in species richness and structure of bird communities on raised peat-bogs in Sweden. Ornis Scandinavica, 14, 213–226. &
- 1994 Analysis of monitoring data with many missing values: which method? Bird Numbers 1992. Distribution, monitoring and ecological aspects. Proceedings 12th Int. Conference IBCC and EOAC, Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands (eds E.J.M.Hagemeijer & T.J.Verstrael), pp. 663–673. Statistics Netherlands, Voorburg/Heerlen & Sovon, Beek, Ubbergen. , , &
- 1995Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1991The Handbook of British Mammals. 3rd edn. Blackwell Science, Oxford. & , eds.
- 1992 Handbook of the birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. VI. Warblers.Oxford University Press, Oxford. , ed.
- 1993 Handbook of the birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. VII. Flycatchers to Shrikes.Oxford University Press, Oxford. & , eds.
- 1994 Handbook of the birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. IX. Buntings and New World Warblers.Oxford University Press, Oxford. & , eds.
- 1993 Global patterns of animal abundance and species energy use. Oikos, 67, 56–68. &
- 1981 Population density and body size in mammals. Nature, 290, 699–700.
- 1987 Interspecific allometry of population density in mammals and other animals: the independence of body mass and population energy use. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 31, 193–246.
- 1993 Rarity in Neotropical forest mammals revisited. Conservation Biology, 7, 586–591. &
- 1995 The effects of agricultural change on population size of corn buntings Miliaria calandra on individual farms. Bird Study, 42, 205–215. &
- 1979 Density, productivity, and distribution of mammals in two Venezuelan habitats. Vertebrate Ecology in the Northern Neotropics (ed. J.F.Eisenberg), pp. 187–207. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. , &
- 1932 Territory among wood ants (Formica rufa L.) at Pickett Hill. Journal of Animal Ecology, 1, 69–76.
- 1933The Ecology of Animals. Methuen, London.
- 1997 Body size, diet and population density in Afrotropical forest mammals: a comparison with neotropical species. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 98–112. &
- 1995 Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conservation Biology, 9, 1425–1442. , , , , , &
- 1994Rarity. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1993The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland:1988–91. Poyser, London. , &
- 1991 The impact of magpies Pica pica on songbird populations. Retrospective investigation of trends in population density and breeding success. Journal of Applied Ecology, 28, 1068–1086. , &
- 1994 Some new approaches to conservation monitoring of British breeding birds. Ibis, 137, S16–S28. , , , &
- 1995 Abundance and body size in British birds: reconciling regional and ecological densities. Oikos, 72, 151–154. &
- 1996 Population trends of jays, magpies, jackdaws and carrion crows in the United Kingdom. Bird Study, 43, 28–37. &
- 1970 Breeding communities of birds in mid-field afforested areas. Ekologia Polska, 18, 1–44.
- 1988 Calculating and miscalculating density: the role of habitat geometry. Ornis Scandinavica, 19, 88–92.
- 1993 Turnover of breeding birds in small forest fragments: the ‘sampling’ colonization hypothesis corroborated. Ecology, 74, 714–725. , &
- 1991The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1994Handbook of the Birds of the World, Vol. 2. New World Vultures to Guineafowl. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. , & , eds.
- 1988 Die dichte des turmfalken (Falco tinnunculus) in Europa übersicht und kritische betrachtung. Die Vogelwarte, 34, 216–224.
- 1998 Farmland habitat change and abundance of yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella. Bird Study, 45, 232–246. , &
- 1989 Overall and regional trends in warbler populations of British farmland over 25 years. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 26, 219–225.
- 1990Population Trends in British Breeding Birds. British Trust for Ornithology, Tring, Hertfordshire. , , &
- 1986The Sparrowhawk. Poyser, Calton.
- 1984 The return of the sparrowhawk. British Birds, 77, 47–70. &
- 1977 Density compensation and competition among birds breeding on small islands in a South Swedish lake. Oikos, 28, 170–176.
- 1986 Are bird communities in small biotope patches random samples from communities in large patches? Biological Conservation, 38, 179–204.
- 1996 TRIM (Trends and Indices for Monitoring data). Manual to TRIM software. Statistics Netherlands, Voorburg, The Netherlands. &
- 1994 Implementation of the Mountford indexing method for the Common Bird Census. Bird Numbers 1992. Distribution, monitoring and ecological aspects. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference IBCC and EOAC, Noordwijkerhout, the Netherlands (eds E.J.M.Hagemeijer & T.J.Verstrael), pp. 653–662. Statistics Netherlands, Voorburg/Heerlen & Sovon, Beek, Ubbergen. &
- 1984 Relations between individual size and mammalian population density. American Naturalist, 124, 498–517. &
- 1998 Global dispersion of nesting hen harriers Circus cyaneus; implications for grouse moors in the UK. Ibis, 140, 76–88.
- 1989 Some misconceptions about the spurious correlation problem in the ecological literature. Oecologia, 82, 285–288. &
- 1986 Body size, diet and population density of neotropical forest mammals. American Naturalist, 128, 665–680. &
- 1991 Scale, variable density, and conservation planning for mammalian carnivores. Conservation Biology, 5, 491–495. , &
- 1982The Estimation of Animal Abundance and Related Parameters. 2nd edn. Macmillan, New York.
- 1976The Atlas of Breeding Birds of Britain and Ireland. Poyser, Berkhamsted.
- 1997 Differences in population density and energy use between birds and mammals: a macroecological perspective. Journal of Animal Ecology, 66, 327–340. , &
- 1998 Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Bird Census indices. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 24–43. , , , , &
- 1995 Scaling Swainson's hawk population density for assessing habitat use across an agricultural landscape. Journal of Raptor Research, 29, 172–178.
- 1997 Interpreting puma (Puma concolor) density estimates for theory and management. Environmental Conservation, 24, 283–289.
- 1996 Spatial scaling of allometry for terrestrial, mammalian carnivores. Oecologia, 107, 588–594. , &
- 1996 Scaling population density and spatial pattern for terrestrial mammalian carnivores. Oecologia, 105, 329–335. &
- 1978Ecological Methods. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 1988 The Sparrows. Poyser, Calton.
- 1982 Comparative synoptic dynamics. I. Relationships between inter- and intra-specific spatial and temporal variance/mean population parameters. Journal of Animal Ecology, 51, 879–906. &
- 1990 Structure and organization of an Amazonian forest bird community. Ecological Monographs, 60, 213–238. , , , &
- 1984 Problems in estimating kestrel breeding density. Bird Study, 31, 121–125.
- 1990The Kestrel. Poyser, London.