A strategy for minimizing waterfowl deaths on toxic waterbodies
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 3, pages 345–350, June 1999
How to Cite
Read, J. L. (1999), A strategy for minimizing waterfowl deaths on toxic waterbodies. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 345–350. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00407.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1978 Avian Mortality at Man-Made Structures: An Annotated Bibliography. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, DC. , &
- 1987. Boredrains and the Birds of Inland South Australia. Nature Conservation Society of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia.
- 1995 The role of rats and commercial fishing in the decline of Ancient Murrelets on Langara Island, British Columbia. Conservation Biology, 9, 865–872.
- 1987 Bird kill at an oil industry flare stack in northwest Alberta. Canadian Field-Naturalist, 101, 346–350.
- 1975 Dynamics of water bird populations on the Alice Springs sewerage farm, NT. Australian Wildlife Research, 2, 85–90. &
- Briggs 1992 Movement patterns and breeding characteristics of arid zone ducks. Corella, 16, 15–22.
- 1995 Evaluation of two powerline markers to reduce crane and waterfowl collision mortality. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 23, 217–227. &
- 1985 The black falcon Falco subniger: a summary of information and comparison with the brown falcon Falco berigora. Australian Bird Watcher, 11, 80–91. &
- 1993 Disturbance to waterfowl on estuaries. Wader Study Group Bulletin, 68. Cited in Madsen, J. (1995) Impacts of disturbance on migratory waterfowl. Ibis, 137, 67–74. &
- 1985 The effect of disturbance on nocturnal abundance and behaviour of grey herons Ardea cinerea at a fish farm in winter. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 19–27. &
- 1997 Behavioural and distributional effects of hunting disturbance on waterbirds in Europe: implications for refuge design. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1–13. &
- 1960 Swamp harrier attacking coots. Australian Bird Watcher, 1, 116–117.
- 1997 Bird disturbance: improving the quality and utility of disturbance research. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 275–288. , , , , &
- 1992 Examination of the effects of disturbance on birds with reference to its importance in ecological assessments. Journal of Environmental Management, 36, 253–286. , , , , &
- 1954 Bird mortality at airport ceilometers. Wilson Bulletin, 66, 207–215. , &
- 1993 Waterbirds of Lake Eyre. Biological Conservation, 65, 141–151. &
- 1993 Movements of grey teal Anas gracilis from a drying, arid zone wetland. Corella, 17, 58–60. , , &
- 1994 Effects of dam size on waterbirds at farm dams in south-east Queensland. Corella, 18, 77–82.
- 1998 Experimental refuges for migratory waterfowl in Danish wetlands. II. Tests of hunting disturbance effects. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 398–417.
- 1986. The Freckled Duck – an RAOU Conservation Statement. RAOU Report 22. Royal Australasian Ornithological Union, Melbourne, Australia.
- 1992 The occurrence and adaptive significance of nocturnal habits in waterfowl. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, 67, 381–419 Cited in McNeil, R., Diaz D.O., Linero, I.A. & Rodriguez S.J.R. (1995) Day and night-time prey availability for waterbirds in a tropical lagoon. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 73, 869–878. , &
- MEM 1996a Bird balls. Mining Environmental Management, 4, 23.
- MEM 1996b Preventing bird deaths. Mining Environmental Management, 4, 10–11.
- Minerals Council of Australia 1996. Tailings Storage Facilities at Australian Gold Mines. Submission to the Senate Environment, Recreation, Communications and the Arts References Committee, Canberra, Australia.
- 1979 Results from banding Eurasian coots in Victoria. 1953–77. Corella, 3, 73–76.
- ODC 1996 Environmental Monitoring and Management Programme. Annual Report 1/03/1995–28/02/1996. WMC Resources (Olympic Dam Corporation), Olympic Dam, South Australia.
- ODC 1997 Environmental Monitoring and Management Programme. Annual Report 1/03/1996–28/02/1997. WMC Resources (Olympic Dam Corporation), Olympic Dam, South Australia.
- ODO 1994 Environmental Management Programme. Annual report 1/03/1993–28/02/1994. WMC Resources (Olympic Dam Operations), Olympic Dam, South Australia.
- ODO 1995 Environmental Management Programme. Annual report 1/03/1994–28/02/1995. WMC Resources (Olympic Dam Operations), Olympic Dam, South Australia.
- 1997. Assessment of the Bird Management Program for Acidic Tailings Dams at the Olympic Dam Mining Site. Unpublished report. Adelaide University, Adelaide, Australia.
- 1991 Effects of predation risk and patch quality on the formation and attractiveness of foraging groups of teal, Anas crecca. Animal Behaviour, 41, 285–294.
- 1994 A retrospective view of the quality of the fauna component of the Olympic Dam Project Environmental Impact Study. Journal of Environmental Management, 41, 167–185.
- 1998 Waterfowl of the Arcoona Lakes; an important arid-zone wetland complex. Australian Bird Watcher, 17, 234–244. &
- 1999 Ecological and toxicological effects of exposure to an acidic, radioactive tailings storage. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 54, 69–85. &
- 1996 Preliminary investigation of nocturnal habitat use by migratory waders (Order Charadriformes) in northern New South Wales. Wildlife Research, 23, 169–184. &
- 1996 Tailings dams. The Bird Observer, July, 1996, 7–10. &
- 1995 Short-term effects of an inflatable effigy on cormorants at catfish farms. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 23, 73–77. , &
- 1993 Waterfowl and recreational disturbance on inland waters. British Wildlife, 4, 221–229. &