Long-term harvesting and male migration in a New Zealand population of Himalayan tahr Hemitragus jemlahicus
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 3, pages 351–362, June 1999
How to Cite
Forsyth, D. M. (1999), Long-term harvesting and male migration in a New Zealand population of Himalayan tahr Hemitragus jemlahicus. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 351–362. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00410.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1961 Himalayan thar in New Zealand. New Zealand Deerstalkers Association Special Publication, 2, 1–37. &
- 1974 Age structure, sex ratio and population density in the harvesting of natural animal populations. Journal of Applied Ecology, 11, 915–924.
- 1997 Sexual segregation in mountain sheep: resources or predation? Wildlife Monographs, 134, 1–50. , &
- 1996 Estimating the minimum population size that allows a given number of mature red deer stags to be culled sustainably. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 118–130. , , , &
- 1965 Horn rings and tooth eruption as criteria of age in the Himalayan thar, Hemitragus jemlahicus. New Zealand Journal of Science, 8, 333–351.
- 1966 Mortality patterns in mammals. Ecology, 47, 906–918.
- 1967 Growth, stabilisation and decline of New Zealand populations of the Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus). PhD Thesis, University of Canterbury.
- 1970a Liberation, dispersal and distribution of Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus) in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Science, 13, 220–239.
- 1970b Habitat of the Himalayan tahr Hemitragus jemlahicus. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 67, 103–105.
- 1970c Eruption of ungulate populations, with emphasis on Himalayan thar in New Zealand. Ecology, 51, 53–72.
- 1970d Fat reserves of Himalayan thar in New Zealand by season, sex, area and age. New Zealand Journal of Science, 13, 209–219.
- 1971 The season of births for northern-hemisphere ungulates in New Zealand. Mammalia, 35, 204–219.
- 1992. Thar Monitoring in Carneys Creek, Rangitata Catchment: a Plan for Small Catchment Surveys. Report to New Zealand Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 1989. Survey of Recreational Hunting of Thar on Conservation Land in the Rangitata Catchment. Report to New Zealand Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. &
- 1991 Structural changes in an apparently stable chamois population in Basin Creek, Canterbury, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, 18, 233–241. &
- 1985 Parental investment and sex differences in juvenile mortality in birds and mammals. Nature, 313, 131–133. , &
- 1982. Red Deer. Behavior and Ecology of Two Sexes. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , &
- 1983 The functional significance of variation in body size among mammals. Mammal Behaviour and Ecology (ed. J.F.Eisenberg), pp. 632–668. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington. &
- 1987 Sexual segregation and density-related changes in habitat use in male and female red deer (Cervus elaphus). Journal of Zoology, 11, 275–289. , &
- 1994 Culling regimes and sex ratio biases in Highland red deer. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 521–527. &
- 1999 Recreational Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus) hunters in Canterbury, New Zealand: a profile and management implications. New Zealand Journal of Zoology, in press. , &
- Department of Conservation 1993 Himalayan thar control plan. Canterbury Conservancy Management Series, 3, 1–68.
- 1978. Mail and Telephone Surveys: the Total Design Method. John Wiley, New York.
- 1924. The Game Animals of New Zealand. John Murray, London.
- 1992 Assessing rates of increase from trend data. Journal of Wildlife Management, 56, 603–610. &
- Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. 1991 GIS the ARC/INFO Method. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. Redlands.
- 1985 Manipulation of age and sex ratios to optimize production from impala Aepyceros melampus populations. South African Journal of Wildlife Research, 15, 85–88.
- 1997 Ecology and management of Himalayan thar and sympatric chamois in the Southern Alps, New Zealand. PhD Thesis, Lincoln University.
- 1997 An improved technique for indexing the abundance of Himalayan thar. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 21, 97–101. &
- 1998 Increasing Himalayan tahr and decreasing chamois densities in the eastern Southern Alps, New Zealand: evidence for interspecific competition. Oecologia, 113, 377–382. &
- 1996. The Established Distributions and New Populations of Large Introduced Mammals in New Zealand. Landcare Research Contract Report LC 9697/22, Lincoln. , &
- 1994 Sex-biased harvesting and population dynamics in ungulates: implications for conservation and sustainable use. Conservation Biology, 8, 157–166. &
- 1995 Thar management – planning and consultation under the Wild Animal Control Act. Royal Society of New Zealand Miscellaneous Series, 31, 85–90. &
- 1987 The allometry of food intake in grazing ruminants. Journal of Animal Ecology, 56, 989–999. &
- 1997 Effects of age, sex, disease, and density on survival of bighorn sheep. Ecology, 78, 1019–1032. , , &
- 1993 Harvesting bighorn ewes: consequences for population size and trophy ram production. Journal of Wildlife Management, 57, 429–435. , &
- 1998 Effects of population density on horn development in bighorn rams. Journal of Wildlife Management, 62, 1011–1020. , &
- 1996 Sexual segregation in rocky mountain mule deer. Journal of Wildlife Management, 60, 497–507. &
- 1996 Sexual segregation in ungulates: new directions for research. Journal of Mammalogy, 77, 449–461. , &
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models. 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall, London. &
- 1993 Comparative mortality rates of male and female kudus: the costs of sexual size dimorphism. Journal of Animal Ecology, 62, 428–440.
- 1996 Commercial exploitation as a pest control tool for introduced mammals in New Zealand. Wildlife Biology, 2, 135–141. , &
- 1998 Impact of Himalayan Thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus). On Snow Tussock in the Southern Alps. Landcare Research Contract Report LC 9798/128, Lincoln. &
- 1985 A reappraisal of the distribution and dispersal of female Himalayan thar in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 8, 5–10. &
- 1988 The trophy potential of Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus) in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 12, 121–124. &
- 1993 Dietary differences between male and female fallow deer in sympatry and in allopatry. Journal of Zoology, 229, 267–275. , &
- 1985 Inter- and intra-sexual segregation of chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra) by altitude and habitat during summer. Zeitung für Saugetierkunde, 50, 117–125.
- 1981. Biometry. 2nd edn. W.H. Freeman & Company, New York. &
- 1990 Himalayan tahr. The Handbook of New Zealand Mammals (ed. C.M.King), pp. 391–406. Oxford University Press, Auckland.
- 1978 The effects of hunting on the numbers and group sizes of Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus) in Carneys Creek, Rangitata catchment. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 1, 153–157. &
- 1988 Daily movement and activity of female and juvenile Himalayan thar (Hemitragus jemlahicus) in the eastern Southern Alps, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 11, 51–59. &
- 1990 Systat: the System for Statistics. Systat Inc., Evanston.