Factors influencing molehill distribution in grassland: implications for controlling the damage caused by molehills
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 36, Issue 3, pages 434–442, June 1999
How to Cite
Edwards, G. R., Crawley, M. J. and Heard, M. S. (1999), Factors influencing molehill distribution in grassland: implications for controlling the damage caused by molehills. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36: 434–442. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.1999.00411.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 1994 Can repellents function as a non-lethal means of controlling moles (Talpa europaea) ? Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 731–736. &
- 1994 The status of the European mole Talpa europaea L. as an agricultural pest and its management. Mammal Review, 24, 73–90. , &
- 1993. GLIM for Ecologists. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK.
- 1966 Mole-hills and pasture reversion. Journal of the British Grassland Society, 21, 148–149.
- 1972. Biology of Earthworms. Chapman & Hall Ltd, London, UK. &
- 1967 Mole activity in relation to pasture management and nitrogen fertilization. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science, 15, 221–228.
- 1977 Distribution and abundance of moles (Talpa europaea L.) in relation to physical habitat and food supply. Oecologia, 30, 277–283.
- 1989 Repelling moles. Mammals as Pests (ed. R.J.Putman), pp. 81–97. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. &
- 1977 Effect of the burrowing activities of the common vole and the mole on the soil and vegetation of the biocenoses of cultivated fields. Acta Theriologica, 22, 181–190. &
- 1975 The invasion of molehills by weeds as a possible factor in the degeneration of reseeded pasture. I. The buried viable seed population of molehills from four reseeded pastures in west Wales. Journal of Applied Ecology, 12, 643–657.
- 1971 The Mole. William Collins and Sons Ltd, Glasgow, UK.
- NAG 1985. GLIM 3.77. Royal Statistical Society. London, UK.
- 1992. Grasslands. British Plant Communities, Vol. 3. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1979 Aspects of habitat selection of the coast mole (Scapanus orarius True) in British Columbia.PhD Thesis, Simon Fraser University.
- 1981 A test of the possible reduction of the digging activity of moles in pasture by increasing soil nitrogen. Acta Theriologica, 26, 118–123.
- 1981 Factors influencing molehill construction by the coast mole (Scapanus orarius True). Mammalia, 45, 31–38. &
- 1971 Effect of some insecticides upon the common mole. Zoologicheskii Zhurnal, 50, 886–892. , , , &
- 1985 Earthworms. E.J. Brill, Leiden, the Netherlands. &
- 1997. New Flora of the British Isles. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1986 Moles. Anthony Nelson Ltd, Oswestry, UK.
- 1989 Moles as pests. Mammals as Pests (ed. R.J.Putman), pp. 65–80. Chapman & Hall Ltd, London, UK.
- 1966 Farm and granary pests. Journal of the Agricultural Society, 127, 187–205.
- 1974 Senescence and rejuvenation in ungrazed chalk grassland (grassland B) in Breckland: the significance of litter and of moles. Journal of Applied Ecology, 11, 1157–1171.