Effect of stocking rate and rainfall on rangeland dynamics and cattle performance in a semi-arid savanna, South Africa
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 3, pages 491–507, June 2000
How to Cite
Fynn, R.W.S. and O'Connor, T.G. (2000), Effect of stocking rate and rainfall on rangeland dynamics and cattle performance in a semi-arid savanna, South Africa. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37: 491–507. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.2000.00513.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 11993a) Reducing cattle numbers on Southern African communal range: is it worth it? Range Ecology at Disequilibrium (eds R.H.Behnke, I.Scoones & C.Kerven), pp. 173–195. Overseas Development Institute, London, UK.
- 21993b) What's in a Number? The Carrying Capacity Controversy of the Communal Rangelands of Southern Africa. Monograph no. 14. School of Development Studies. University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK.
- 41953) Veld types of South Africa. Memoirs of the Botanical Survey of South Africa, No. 57. Government Printer, Pretoria, South Africa.
- 51993) Plants of Southern Africa: Names and Distribution. Memoirs of the Botanical Survey of South Africa, No. 62. National Botanical Institute, Pretoria, South Africa.&
- 71993) Rethinking range ecology: implications for rangeland management in Africa. Range Ecology at Disequilibrium (eds R.H.Behnke, I.Scoones & C.Kerven), pp. 153–172. Overseas Development Institute, London, UK.&
- 81993) How long can high stocking densities be sustained? Range Ecology at Disequilibrium (eds R.H.Behnke, I.Scoones & C.Kerven), pp. 153–172. Overseas Development Institute, London, UK.
- 91988) canoco – A fortran Program for Canonical Community Ordination by [Partial][Detrended][Canonical] Correspondence Analysis, Principle Components Analysis and Redundancy Analysis (Version 2.1). TNO Institute of Applied Computer Science, Statistics Department, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- 101977) The disc pasture metre: possible applications in grazing management. Proceedings of the Grassland Society of South Africa, 12, 115–118.&
- 131978) The development of a method for assessing veld condition in three grassveld types in Natal. Proceedings of the Grassland Society of South Africa, 13, 27–33., &
- 141985) Influence of stocking rate and grazing systems on available grazing in the northern Cape. Journal of the Grassland Society of South Africa, 2, 24–26., &
- 16GENSTAT (1993) genstat 5.3. Reference Manual. Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.
- 181994) The bio-economic implications of various stocking strategies in the semi-arid savanna of Natal. PhD Thesis. University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Natal.
- 221999) Impacts of livestock grazing on biodiversity in natural ecosystems. Nutritional Ecology of Herbivores. Proceedings of the Vth International Symposium on the Nutrition of Herbivores (eds H.G.Jung & G.C.Fahey, Jr), pp. 752–777. American Society of Animal Science, Savoy, IL., &
- 231988) Relationship between the variability of primary production and variability of precipitation in world arid lands. Journal of Arid Environments, 15, 1–18., &
- 241991) Livestock management and ‘overgrazing’ among pastoralists. Ambio, 20, 80–85.
- 251982) Resilience and stability of the grasslands of Transkei. Proceedings of the Grassland Society of South Africa., 17, 21–24.
- 261986) Multivariate Statistical Methods: A Primer. Chapman & Hall, London, UK.
- 271982) Problems of animal production from tropical pastures. Nutritional Limits to Animal Production from Pastures (ed. J.B.Hacker), pp. 67–85. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, UK.
- 301995) Recovery of eutrophic rangeland after a severe drought. Proceedings of the Fifth International Rangeland Congress (ed. N.E.West), pp. 385–386. Society for Range Management, Denver, CO., &
- 311985) A Synthesis of the Field Experiments Concerning the Grass Layer in the Savanna Regions of Southern Africa. South African National Scientific Programmes Report, No. 114. CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa.
- 321995) Transformation of a savanna grassland by drought and grazing. African Journal of Range and Forage Science, 12, 53–60.
- 341985) The erosion cell – a geomorphic approach to landscape classification in range assessment. Australian Rangeland Journal, 7, 114–121.
- 371993) Why are there so many animals? Cattle population dynamics in the communal areas of Zimbabwe. Range Ecology at Disequilibrium (eds R.H.Behnke, I.Scoones & C.Kerven), pp. 67–76. Overseas Development Institute, London, UK.
- 38Soil Classification Working Group (1991) Soil Classification – A Taxonomic System for South Africa. Memoirs on the Agricultural Natural Resources of South Africa, No. 15. The Department of Agricultural Development, Pretoria, Republic of South Africa.
- 411988) Towards the development of a grazing capacity model for the drier areas of Natal. MSc Thesis. University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Natal.
- 431980) Stable production versus resilience: a grazing management conflict? Proceedings of the Grassland Society of South Africa, 15, 79–83.