Present address: Blackbrook, Three Elm Lane, Tonbridge, Kent TN11 0AD, UK.
Habitat models of bird species' distribution: an aid to the management of coastal grazing marshes
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Ecology
Volume 37, Issue 5, pages 706–727, October 2000
How to Cite
Milsom, T. P., Langton, S. D., Parkin, W. K., Peel, S., Bishop, J. D., Hart, J. D. and Moore, N. P. (2000), Habitat models of bird species' distribution: an aid to the management of coastal grazing marshes. Journal of Applied Ecology, 37: 706–727. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2664.2000.00529.x
Present address: Blackbrook, Three Elm Lane, Tonbridge, Kent TN11 0AD, UK.
Present address: FRCA, Coley Park, Reading, Berkshire RG1 6DT, UK.
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- ADAS (1997) Environmental Monitoring in the North Kent Marshes ESA: 1993–1996. ADAS Report to the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food. ADAS, Oxford, UK.
- Anonymous (1995) Biodiversity Steering Group Report. Vol. 2. Action Plans. HMSO, London, UK.
- 1996) An autologistic model for the spatial distribution of wildlife. Journal of Applied Ecology, 33, 339–347. , & (
- 1990) The roles of predation, food and agricultural practice in determining the breeding success of the lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) on upland grasslands. Journal of Animal Ecology, 59, 915–929. (
- 1992) Bird Census Techniques. Academic Press, London, UK. , & (
- 1987) Nesting success of birds breeding in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Journal of Applied Ecology, 24, 743–758. & (
- 1980) Effect of spatial heterogeneity on ground-nest predation. Journal of Wildlife Management, 44, 806–813. & (
- 1993) Approximate inference in generalized linear mixed models. Journal of American Statistical Association, 88, 9–25. & (
- 1999) Coarse- and fine-scale habitat associations of breeding skylarks Alauda arvensis in the UK. Bird Study, 36, 34–47. & (
- 1994) The Swale National Nature Reserve. Breeding birds 1975–94. Kent Bird Report 1993, pp. 179–185. Kent Ornithological Society. (
- 1997) UK policy for ESAs. Grassland Management in Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ed. R.D.Sheldrick), pp. 5–11. BGS Occasional Symposium 32. British Grassland Society, Reading, UK. (
- 1988) The Birds of the Western Palearctic. Vol. 5. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. (
- 1995) Habitat selection and population size of corn buntings Miliaria calandra breeding in Britain in 1993. Bird Study, 42, 190–204. & (
- 1987) The Elmley experiment. RSPB Conservation Review, 1, 31–33. (
- 1995) The Cambridge Dictionary of Statistics in the Medical Sciences. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 1982) Bird Habitats in Britain. T. & A.D. Poyser, Calton, UK. (
- 1992) The Land Use, Ecology and Conservation of Broadland. Packard Publishing, Chichester, UK. (
- 1996) Bird species of conservation concern in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man; revising the Red Data list. RSPB Conservation Review, 10, 7–18. , , , , , , & (
- 1993) The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1989–1991. T. & A.D. Poyser, London, UK. , & (
- 1981) Factors affecting occupation of mussel Mytilus edulis beds by oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus on the Exe estuary, South Devon. Feeding and Survival Strategies of Estuarine Organisms (eds N.Jones & W.J.Wolff), pp. 217–229. Plenum Press, London, UK. , , , & (
- 1988) Effects of environmental factors on the timing and success of breeding of common snipe (Gallinago gallinago). Journal of Applied Ecology, 25, 79–93. (
- 1994) The distribution of passerine birds in hedgerows during the breeding season in relation to characteristics of the hedgerow and adjacent farmland. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 677–692. , & (
- 1976) The Thames Transformed. Andre Deutch, London, UK. & (
- 1983) Breeding waders of grassland in Kent. Kent Bird Report, 1982, pp. 70–72. Kent Ornithological Society. (
- 1994) Corn buntings in Kent 1992–93. Kent Bird Report, 1993, pp. 145–151. Kent Ornithological Society. & (
- 1986) Sward surface heights for efficient grazing. Grass Farmer, 24, 5–10. , & (
- 1969) Land use and bird fauna on shores in southern Sweden. Oikos, 20, 136–155. (
- 1991) Drainage of wet meadows and birds in West Marshes of France. Birds and Pastoral Agriculture in Europe (eds D.J.Curtis, E.M.Bignal & M.A.Curtis), pp. 43–52. Proceedings of the Second European Forum on Birds and Pastoralism. Scottish Chough Study Group/JNCC, Peterborough, UK. (
- 1996) Prediction of field use by Brent geese: an aid to management. Crop Protection, 15, 259–268. , , & (
- MAFF (1993) Environmentally Sensitive Areas. The North Kent Marshes: Guidelines for Farmers. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, London, UK.
- MAFF (1996) The Countryside Stewardship Scheme. 2: Countryside Stewardship's Objectives. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, London, UK.
- MAFF (1997) Proposals for the Future of the North Kent Marshes Environmentally Sensitive Area: 1998–2003. Farming & Rural Conservation Agency/Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food, London, UK.
- 1999) Alternative methods for predicting species distribution: an illustration with Himalayan river birds. Journal of Applied Ecology, 36, 734–747. , , & (
- 1998) Design of grassland feeding areas for waders during winter: the relative importance of sward, landscape factors and human disturbance. Biological Conservation, 84, 119–129. , , , & (
- 1985) Diurnal use of an airfield and adjacent agricultural habitats by lapwings Vanellus vanellus. Journal of Applied Ecology, 22, 313–326. , & (
- 1997) Water Level Requirements of Wetland Plants and Animals. English Nature Fresh Water Series, No. 5. English Nature, Peterborough, UK. & (
- 1998) Fear in farmlands: how much does predator avoidance affect community structure? Journal of Avian Biology, 29, 79–85. & (
- 1998) Is the density of redshank Tringa totanus on saltmarshes in Great Britain declining due to changes in grazing management. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 621–634. , , , , & (
- 1985) Behavioural regulation of bird populations: a review of habitat use in relation to migration and residency. Behavioural Ecology: Ecological Consequences of Adaptive Behaviour (eds R.M.Sibly & R.M.Smith), pp. 105–142. 25th Symposium of the British Ecological Society. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. (
- 1986) Wildfowl in Great Britain, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , & (
- 1994) Modelling the relationship between bird population variables and hedgerow and other field margin attributes. I. Species richness of winter, summer and breeding birds. Journal of Applied Ecology, 31, 764–775. , & (
- 1997) The selection of grazing marshes by breeding birds. Grassland Management in Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ed. R.Sheldrick), pp. 144–149. Symposium of the British Grassland Society 32. British Grassland Society, Reading, UK. , & (
- 1985) Diurnal variability in the detection of waders on their breeding grounds. Bird Study, 32, 71–74. , , , & (
- 1996) The effects of traffic on the density of breeding birds in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Biological Conservation, 75, 255–260. , & (
- 1981) Effect of time of day on bird activity. Studies in Avian Biology, 6, 275–286. (
- 1987) Estimation and use of variance components. Statistician, 36, 3–14. (
- 1998) Movement of badgers (Meles meles) in a high-density population: individual, population and disease effects. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences, 265, 1269–1276. , , , , & (
- 1994) Hydrological management for waterfowl on RSPB lowland wet grassland reserves. RSPB Conservation Review, 8, 45–56. , & (
- 1998) Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Bird Census indices. Journal of Applied Ecology, 35, 24–43. , , , , & (
- 1983) The status and distribution of waders breeding on wet lowland grassland in England and Wales. Bird Study, 30, 177–192. (
- 1979) The bird fauna of abandoned shore pastures. Ornis Fennica, 56, 124–132. & (
- 1989) Breeding site fidelity and natal philopatry in the redshank Tringa totanus. Ibis, 131, 214–224. & (
- 1994) Age at first breeding, philopatry and breeding site-fidelity in the lapwing Vanellus vanellus. Ibis, 136, 474–484. , , & (
- 1997) The Wet Grassland Guide: Managing Floodplain and Coastal Wet Grasslands for Wildlife. RSPB, Sandy, UK. , & (
- 1993) Yellow wagtail. The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1989–91 (eds D.W.Gibbons, J.B.Reid & R.A.Chapman), pp. 286–287. T. & A.D. Poyser, London, UK. (
- UK Biodiversity Group (1998) Tranche 2 Action Plans. Vol. 1. Vertebrates and Vascular Plants. English Nature, Peterborough, UK.
- 1998) The Use of Edge Habitats by Commuting and Foraging Bats. IBN-DLO, Wageningen, the Netherlands. (
- 1997) Managing coastal grazing marshes for breeding waders and overwintering geese: is there a conflict? Biological Conservation, 79, 23–34. , , , & (
- 1993) Procedure GLMM. Genstat 5 Procedure Library Manual. NAG, Oxford, UK. (
- 1987) The loss of coastal grazing marshes in south and east England, with special reference to east Essex, England. Biological Conservation, 39, 243–253. & (
- 1983) The effects on birds of land drainage improvements in the North Kent Marshes. Wildfowl, 34, 33–47. , , & (
- 1997) Territory distribution and breeding success of skylarks Alauda arvensis on organic and intensive farmland in southern England. Journal of Applied Ecology, 34, 1462–1478. , , & (