Weak-acid preservatives: modelling microbial inhibition and response
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 1, pages 157–164, January 1999
How to Cite
Lambert, R. J. and Stratford, M. (1999), Weak-acid preservatives: modelling microbial inhibition and response. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 157–164. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00646.x
- Issue online: 3 JUL 2003
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6862/08/98: received 21 August 1998 and accepted 26 August 1998
- 1961 Inhibition of alcoholic fermentation by sorbic acid. Journal of Bacteriology, 81, 189–194. , &
- 1972 Antimicrobial food additives. In: Handbook of Food Additives 2nd edn (ed. Furia, T.E), pp. 115–184. Cleveland, Ohio: CRC Press. &
- 1987 Effects of weak acids and external pH on the intracellular pH of Zygosaccharomyces bailii, and its implications in weak-acid resistance. Yeast, 3, 23–32. &
- 1989 Organic acids and esters. In: Mechanisms of Action of Food Preservation Procedures (ed. Gould, G.W), pp. 161–200. London and New York: Elsevier Applied Science.
- 1987 Activation of the yeast plasma membrane ATPase by acid pH during growth. FEBS Letters, 224, 187–192. &
- 1973 Function of lipophilic acids as antimicrobial food additives. Nature, 241, 321–325. , &
- 1972 Acidulants in food processing. In: Handbook of Food Additives, 2nd edn (ed. Furia, T.E), pp. 225–270. Cleveland, Ohio: CRC Press.
- 1976 The antimicrobial activity of SO2 — with particular reference to fermented and non-fermented fruit juices. In: Inhibition and Inactivation of Vegetative Microbes (eds Skinner, F.A. & Hugo, W.B), pp. 89–110. London: Academic Press. &
- 1995 Measurement of yeast intracellular pH by image processing and the change it undergoes during growth phase. Journal of Biotechnology, 38, 165–172. &
- 1960 Studies on benzoate-resistant yeasts. Acta Microbiologica, 7, 95–105.
- 1962 Uptake of 2,4-dinitrophenol by the yeast cell. Folia Microbiologica – Prague., 7, 109–114.
- 1983 Studies on the mechanism of the antifungal action of benzoate. Biochemical Journal, 214, 657–663. , , , &
- 1985 Buffering capacity of bacilli that grow at different pH range. Journal of Bacteriology, 162, 768–772. , , &
- 1975 Mechanism of benzoic acid uptake by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Applied Microbiology, 30, 503–506.
- 1994 Resistance of food spoilage yeasts to sorbic acid. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 19, 8–11. , &
- 1989 Sulphite. In: Mechanisms of Action of Food Preservation Procedures (ed. Gould, G.W), pp. 201–223. London and New York: Elsevier Applied Science. &
- 1982 Growth and toxin formation by Clostridium botulinum at low pH values. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 52, 75–82. , , &
- 1981 Permeability for lipophilic molecules. In: Membrane Transport (eds Bonting, S.L., DePont, J.J.H.H.M.) London & New York: Elsevier Press.
- 1996 Comparison of the inhibitory action of weak-acid preservatives, uncouplers, and medium-chain fatty acids. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 142, 53–58. &
- 1998 Evidence that sorbic acid does not inhibit yeast as a classic ‘weak acid preservative’. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 27, 203–206. &
- 1987 Sulphur dioxide resistance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Saccharomycodes ludwigii. Journal of General Microbiology, 133, 2173–2179. , &
- 1986 Transport of sulphur dioxide by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of General Microbiology, 132, 1–6. &
- 1994 Signal transduction in yeast. Yeast, 10, 1753–1790.
- 1989 Physiology of mutants with reduced expression of plasma membrane H+-ATPase. Yeast, 5, 307–319. &
- 1988 Effect of benzoic acid on growth yield of yeasts differing in their resistance to preservatives. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 54, 2091–2095.
- 1989 Relationships among cell size, membrane permeability, and preservative resistance in yeast species. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 55, 2995–2999.
- 1979 Characterization of the plasma membrane Mg2+-ATPase from the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 254, 3326–3332.