Role of the 25 kDa major outer membrane protein of Legionella pneumophila in attachment to U-937 cells and its potential as a virulence factor for chick embryos
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 2, pages 237–244, February 1999
How to Cite
Krinos, C., High, A. S. and Rodgers, F. G. (1999), Role of the 25 kDa major outer membrane protein of Legionella pneumophila in attachment to U-937 cells and its potential as a virulence factor for chick embryos. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 237–244. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00667.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6717/05/98: received 8 May 1998, revised 14 September 1998 and accepted 21 September 1998
- 1998 Identification of linked Legionella pneumophila genes essential for intracellular growth and evasion of the endocytic pathway. Infection and Immunity, 66, 950 958. , ,
- 1981 Bacterial adherence: adhesion-receptor interactions mediating the attachment of bacteria to mucosal surfaces. Journal of Infectious Disease, 143, 325 345.
- 1990 Complement component C3 selectively fixes to the major outer membrane protein (MOMP) of Legionella pneumophila and mediates phagocytosis of liposome-MOMP complexes by human monocytes. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 172, 1201 1210. &
- 1979 A rapid alkaline extraction procedure for screening recombinant plasmid DNA. Nucleic Acids Research, 7, 1513 1523. &
- 1990 Characterization of a major 31-kilodalton peptidoglycan-bound protein of Legionella pneumophila. Journal of Bacteriology, 172, 2401 2407. &
- 1985 Disulfide-bonded outer membrane proteins in the genus Legionella. Infection and Immunity, 48, 14 18. , , ,
- 1988 Virulence conversion of Legionella pneumophila: a one-way phenomenon. Infection and Immunity, 56, 3121 3125. &
- 1984 Plasmid transfer into the members of the family Legionellaceae. Journal of Infectious Disease, 150, 513 516. , ,
- 1987 Electroportion for the efficient transfection of mammalian cells with DNA. Nucleic Acids Research, 15, 1311 1326. , ,
- 1989 A Legionella pneumophila gene encoding for species-specific surface protein potentiates initiation of intracellular infection. Infection and Immunity, 57, 1255 1262. , , , ,
- 1985 Conjugation-mediated genetic exchange in Legionella pneumophila. Journal of Bacteriology, 161, 80 84. &
- 1984 Characterization of membrane proteins from various strains and serogroups of Legionella pneumophila and other Legionella species. In: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Legionella (eds Thornsberry, C. Balows, A. Feeley, J.C. & Jakubowski, W), pp. 265 268. Washington, D.C. ASM. , ,
- 1985 Morphological response and growth characteristics of Legionella pneumophila exposed to ampicillin and erythromycin. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 19, 383 390. &
- 1988 Transfer and maintenance of small, mobilizable plasmids with ColE 1 replication origins in Legionella pneumophila. Plasmid, 20, 83 91. , , ,
- 1989 Common themes in microbial pathogenicity. Microbiological Reviews, 53, 210 230. &
- 1985 Purification of Legionella pneumophila major outer membrane protein and demonstration that it is a porin. Journal of Bacteriology, 162, 85 91. , , ,
- 1998 Identification of macrophage-specific infectivity loci (mil) of Legionella pneumophila that are not required for infectivity of protozoa. Infection and Immunity, 66, 883 892. , ,
- 1973 Bacterial adherence in infection and immunity. Reviews in Microbiology, 4, 48 60.
- 1994 Adherence of Legionella pneumophila to U-937 cells, guinea-pig alveolar macrophages, and MRC-5 cells by a novel, complement-independent binding mechanism. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 40, 865 872. , ,
- 1984 Identification of a species-specific antigen in Legionella pneumophila by a monoclonal antibody. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 20, 1031 1035. , , ,
- 1991 Electroporation of the major outer membrane protein-encoding genes from virulent to avirulent Legionella pneumophila. In: Abstracts of the 91st General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. Washington, D.C. ASM. &
- 1993 Expression of a 25 kDa major outer membrane protein (MOMP) of Legionella pneumophila in Escherichia coli. Journal of General Microbiology, 139, 1715 1721. , ,
- 1986 Outer membrane proteins from Legionella serogroups and other Legionella species. Infection and Immunity, 51, 94 101. &
- 1992 Cloning and nucleotide sequence of a gene (ompS) encoding for the major outer membrane protein of Legionella pneumophila. Journal of Bacteriology, 174, 914 920. , ,
- 1993 Toward an understanding of host and bacterial molecules mediating Legionella pneumophila pathogenesis. In Legionella. Current Status and Emerging Perspectives (eds Barbaree, J.M. Breiman, R.F. & Dufour, A.P), pp. 55 62. Washington, D.C. ASM.
- 1998 Evidence for pore-forming ability by Legionella pneumophila. Molecular Microbiology, 27, 323 336. , , ,
- 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 117, 680 685.
- 1951 Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 193, 265 275. , , ,
- 1998 The role of sialic acid in opsonin-dependent and opsonin-independent adhesion of Listeria monocytogenes to murine peritoneal macrophages. Infection and Immunity, 66, 620 626. , , ,
- 1972. Experiments in Molecular Genetics, pp. 56 59. Cold Spring Harbor, NY. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- 1980 A simplified ultrasensitive silver stain for detecting proteins in polyacrylamide gels. Analytical Biochemistry, 105, 361 363. , ,
- 1984 Enhancer-dependent expression of human k immunoglobulin genes introduced into mouse pre-B lymphocytes by electroporation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA, 81, 7161 7165. , ,
- 1938 A simple method for determining 50 percent endpoints. American Journal of Hygiene, 27, 493 497. &
- 1983 The role of structure and invasiveness on the pathogenicity of Legionella. Zentralblatt für Mikribiologie und Hygiene, A 255, 138 144.
- 1993 Opsonin-independent adherence and intracellular development of Legionella pneumophila within U-937 cells. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 39, 718 722. &
- 1997 Characterization of a new region required for macrophage killing by Legionella pneumophila. Infection and Immunity, 65, 5057 5066. &
- 1994 Remodeling schemes of intracellular pathogens. Science, 263, 637 639. , ,
- 1986 Electropore diameters, lifetimes, numbers and locations in individual erythrocyte ghosts. FEBS Letters, 205, 179 184. &
- 1989 Pathogenesis and chemotherapy of experimental Legionella pneumophila infection in the chick embryo. Zentralblatt für Mikribiologie und Hygiene, A 271, 293 303. &
- 1998 Conjugative transfer by the virulence system of Legionella pneumophila. Science, 279, 873 876. , , ,
- 1985 Antigenic analysis of Campylobacter flagellar protein and other proteins. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 21, 108 112. , , et al.
- 1989 Transformation of various species of Gram-negative bacteria belonging to 11 different genera by electroporation. Molecular and General Genetics, 216, 175 177. , ,