The effect of sucrose or starch-based diet on short-chain fatty acids and faecal microflora in rats
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 2, pages 245–250, February 1999
How to Cite
Cresci, A., Orpianesi, C., Silvi, S., Mastrandrea, V. and Dolara, P. (1999), The effect of sucrose or starch-based diet on short-chain fatty acids and faecal microflora in rats. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 245–250. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00668.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6736/05/98: 20 May 1998, revised 21 September and accepted 24 September 1998
- American Institute of Nutrition 1977 Report of the American Institute of Nutrition ad hoc committee on standards for nutritional studies. Journal of Nutrition, 107, 1340 1348.
- 1991 Effect of starch malabsorption of fecal bile acids and neutral sterols in humans: possible implications for colonic carcinogenesis. Cancer Research, 51, 4238 4242. , , , ,
- 1985 Sugar, fat and the risk of colorectal cancer. British Medical Journal, 291, 1467 1470. , , ,
- 1993 Rats fed high starch diets have lower colonic proliferation and fecal bile acids than high sucrose fed controls. Journal of Nutrition, 123, 704 712. , , et al.
- 1997 Modification of azoxymethane intestinal carcinogenesis in rats by feeding sucrose boluses, pasta and glucose. Nutrition and Cancer, 28, 146 152. , , et al.
- 1988 Dietary factors affecting the proliferation of epithelial cells in the mouse colon. Nutrition and Cancer, 11, 147 153. , ,
- 1994 Influence of long-term feeding of different purified dietary fibers on cecal microflora composition and its metabolizing activity on bile acids. Nutrition Research, 14, 1549 1559. , , et al.
- 1994 Starch intake and colorectal cancer risk: an international comparison. British Journal of Cancer, 69, 119 125. , ,
- 1988 Characterization of some Clostridium species by gas–liquid chromatography using numerical analysis. Microbiologica, 11, 179 199. , , et al.
- 1995 Metodologie per la valutazione della flora batterica intestinale. Giornale Italiano Di Nutrizione Clinica E Preventiva, 3, 21 26. , ,
- 1998 Effect of different dietary fibers on the human gut microflora activity in in vitro culture and in vivo. In: Functional Properties of Non-Digestible Carbohydrates (eds Guillon, F. Amadò, R. Amaral-Collaco, M.T et al.), pp. 197 200. Nantes: INRA. , , , ,
- 1991 The control and consequences of bacterial fermentation in the human colon. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 70, 443 459. &
- 1997 Role of intestinal bacteria in nutrient metabolism. Clinical Nutrition, 16, 3 11. &
- 1992 Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 46 (Suppl. 2), S33 S50. , ,
- 1996 An overview of human colonic bacteriology in health and disease. In: Gut Flora and Health – Past, Present and Future (eds Leeds, A.R. & Rowland, I.R), pp. 3 11. London: The Royal Society of Medicine Press. &
- 1995 Dietary modulation of human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics. Journal of Nutrition, 125, 1401 1412. &
- 1986 Influences of fiber on the ecology of the intestinal flora. In: Handbook of Dietary Fiber in Human Nutrition (ed. Spiller, G.A), pp. 289 297. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. &
- 1980 Does diet influence human microflora composition? Nutrition Reviews, 38, 329 336.
- 1971 Bacteria and aetiology of cancer of large bowel. Lancet, 1, 95 100. , , , , ,
- 1977. Anaerobe Laboratory Manual. 4th edn. Blacksburg, VA: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. , ,
- 1988 Biomarkers of increased susceptibility to gastrointestinal cancer: new application to studies of cancer prevention in human subjects. Cancer Research, 48, 235 245.
- 1990 Evaluation of the ATB 32A system for identification of anaerobic bacteria isolated from clinical specimens. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 28, 1519 1524. , ,
- 1987 Colorectal polyps and diet: a case control study in Marseilles. International Journal of Cancer, 40, 179 188. , , , ,
- 1993 Amounts of viable anaerobes, methanogens, and bacterial fermentation products in feces of rats fed high-fiber or fiber-free diets. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 59, 657 662. , ,
- 1987 The use of rats associated with human faecal flora as a model for studying the effects of diet on the human gut microflora. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 63, 39 45. , , , , ,
- 1988 Influence of starches of low digestibility on the rat caecal microflora. British Journal of Nutrition, 60, 597 604. , , ,
- 1988 Factors affecting the gut microflora. In: Role of the Gut Flora in Toxicity and Cancer (ed. Rowland, I.R), pp. 347 382. London: Academic Press. &
- 1982 A selective medium for the detection and enumeration of clostridia in human faeces. Antonie Van Leeuwenhock, 48, 205. , , ,
- 1981 The effect of diet on the human fecal flora. In: Bambury Report 7. Gastrointestinal Cancer: Endogenous Factors (eds Bruce, W.R. Correa, P. Lipkin, M. Tannenbaum, S.R. & Wilkins, T.D), pp. 11 24. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , ,
- 1984 Discriminant analysis of volatile fatty acids produced in culture medium: a novel approach to the identification of Pseodomonas species. Journal of General Microbiology, 130, 3175 3182. , ,
- 1982 Utilisation of nutrients by isolated epithelial cells of rat colon. Gastroenterology, 83, 42 49.
- 1996 Fermentation, colonic epithelial cell metabolism and neoplasia. In: COST Action 92 – Dietary Fibre and Fermentation in the Colon (eds Mälkki, Y. & Cummings, J.H), pp. 341 349. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- 1992 Metabolic interactions in the gut. In: Probiotics. The Scientific Basis (ed. Fuller, R), pp. 29 53. London: Chapman & Hall.
- 1996 Gut microflora and cancer. In: Gut Flora and Health – Past, Present and Future (eds Leeds, A.R. & Rowland, I.R), pp. 19 25. London: The Royal Society of Medicine Press.
- 1998 Effect of non-digestible oligosaccharides and resistant starch on biochemical and mucosal biomarkers of colonic neoplasia in rats. In: Functional Properties of Non-Digestible Carbohydrates (eds Guillon, F. Amadò, R. Amaral-Collaco, M.T et al.), pp. 219 221. Nantes: INRA. , , , ,
- 1993 The effect of transgalactosylated oligosaccharides on gut flora metabolism in rats associated with a human faecal microflora. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 74, 667 674. &
- 1995 Role of short-chain fatty acids in the prevention of colon cancer. European Journal of Cancer, 31A, 1077 1080. , ,
- 1993 Sucrose enhancement of the early steps of colon carcinogenesis in mice. Carcinogenesis, 14, 777 779. , , , ,
- 1983 Passage of carbohydrate into the colon. Direct measurements in humans. Gastroenterology., 85, 589 595. , ,
- 1983 Effect of dietary and environmental stress on the gastrointestinal microbiota. In: Human Intestinal Microflora in Health and Disease (ed. Hentges, D.J), pp. 517 539. London: Academic Press.
- 1987 Colorectal cancer and the intake of nutrients: oligosaccharides are a risk factor, fat are not. A case-control study in Belgium. Nutrition and Cancer, 10, 181 196. , ,
- 1988 Rapid characterization of oral and non-oral pigmented Bacteroides species with the ATB Anaerobes ID system. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 26, 1063 1065. , ,
- 1992 Effect of fiber supplementation of liquid diet on cecal bacteria and bacterial translocation in mice. Nutrition, 8, 266 271. , , , ,