The qacG gene on plasmid pST94 confers resistance to quaternary ammonium compounds in staphylococci isolated from the food industry
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 378–388, March 1999
How to Cite
Heir, E., Sundheim, G. and Holck, A. L. (1999), The qacG gene on plasmid pST94 confers resistance to quaternary ammonium compounds in staphylococci isolated from the food industry. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 378–388. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00672.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6433/10/97: received 14 October 1997, revised 6 July 1998 and accepted 28 September 1998
- 1986 Isolation and sequence of the gene for ferredoxin I from the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. strain PCC7120. Journal of Bacteriology, 168, 1265 1271. , , ,
- 1988 A quantitative study of enterotoxin production by sheep milk staphylococci. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 54, 566 569. , , ,
- Council of Europe 1987 Test Methods for the Antimicrobial Activity of Disinfectants in Food Hygiene. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- 1986 In vivo and in vitro transcription of the Clostridium pasteurianum ferredoxin gene. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 261, 11409 11415. &
- 1992 A staphylococcal multidrug resistance gene product is a member of a new protein family. Plasmid, 27, 119 129. , , , ,
- 1994 Bacterial multidrug resistance is due to a single membrane protein which functions as a drug pump. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 269, 29998 30004. &
- 1991 Plasmid transformation in Escherichia coli and other bacteria. Methods in Enzymology, 204, 231 241. , ,
- 1995 Resistance to quaternary ammonium compounds in Staphylococcus spp. isolated from the food industry and nucleotide sequence of the resistance plasmid pST827. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 79, 149 156. , ,
- 1988 Enterotoxigenicity of Staphylococcus intermedius of canine origin. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 7, 185 191. , , , , ,
- 1983 Characterization of staphylococci. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 46, 649 660. , ,
- 1991 Recombination and mutagenesis of DNA sequences using PCR. In: Directed Mutagenesis, a Practical Approach (ed. McPherson, M.J), pp. 217 247. Oxford: IRL Press. &
- 1986 Regulation of a promoter that is utilized by minor forms of RNA polymerase holoenzyme in Bacillus subtilis. Journal of Molecular Biology, 191, 615 624. &
- 1996 Characterization of cryptic plasmid of multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus SA2. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 6, 145 146. , , , , ,
- 1982 Structural and phenotypic varieties of gentamicin resistance plasmids in hospital strains of Staphylococcus aureus and coagulase-negative staphylococci. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 21, 773 779. , , , , ,
- 1986 Nucleotide sequence of the enterotoxin B gene from Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Bacteriology, 166, 29 33. &
- 1985 Expression of a plasmid borne ethidium resistance determinant from Staphylococcus in Escherichia coli: evidence for an efflux system. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 28, 355 358. &
- 1983 The toxic shock syndrome exotoxin structural gene is not detectably transmitted by a prophage. Nature, 305, 709 712. , , et al.
- 1997 Factors contributing to the survival of poultry associated Pseudomonas spp. exposed to a quaternary ammonium compound. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 82, 705 712. &
- 1995 Multidrug resistance plasmid pSK108 from coagulase-negative staphylococci; relationships to Staphylococcus aureus qacC plasmids. Plasmid, 34, 62 67. , , , ,
- 1994 Multidrug resistance to antiseptics and disinfectants in coagulase-negative staphylococci. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 40, 214 220. , , , ,
- 1991 Structure and evolution of a family of genes encoding antiseptic and disinfectant resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. Gene, 101, 59 66. , , , ,
- 1992 Substrate specificity and energetics of antiseptic and disinfectant resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 95, 259 266. , , et al.
- 1987. Antimicrobial resistance of Staphylococcus aureus: genetic basis. Microbiological Reviews, 51, 88 134. &
- 1986 The phosphonium ion efflux system of Escherichia coli: relationship to the ethidium efflux system and energetic studies. Journal of General Microbiology, 132, 3187 3193.
- 1992 Cloning and characterization of the mvrC gene of Escherichia coli K-12 which confers resistance against methyl viologen toxicity. Nucleic Acids Research, 20, 3159 3165. , , ,
- 1992 Enterotoxin production by staphylococci isolated from pork kabab, salami and other sources by ELISA. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 29, 383 384. &
- 1989 Staphylococcal plasmids and their replication. Annual Review of Microbiology, 43, 537 565.
- 1995 Molecular characterization of the staphylococcal multidrug export protein QacC. Journal of Bacteriology, 177, 2827 2833. , , ,
- 1996a Multidrug resistance proteins QacA and QacB from Staphylococcus aureus: membrane topology and identification of residues involved in substrate specificity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 93, 3630 3635. , , , ,
- 1993 The 3′ conserved segment of integrons contains a gene associated with multidrug resistance to antiseptics and disinfectants. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 37, 761 768. , , et al.
- 1996b The SMR family: a novel family of multidrug efflux proteins involved with the efflux of lipophilic drugs. Molecular Microbiology, 19, 1167 1175. , , et al.
- 1988 Laboratory, clinical, and epidemiological aspects of coagulase-negative staphylococci. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 1, 281 299. &
- 1991 Nucleotide sequence of the ethidium efflux gene from Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 82, 229 232.
- 1990 Efflux-mediated antiseptic resistance gene qacA from Staphylococcus aureus: common ancestry with tetracycline- and sugar-transport proteins. Molecular Microbiology, 4, 2051 2062. , , , ,
- 1989 Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual. 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor. New York. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , ,
- 1989 Nucleotide sequence of a gene that encodes resistance to ethidium bromide from a transferable plasmid in Staphylococcus aureus. Nucleic Acids Research, 17, 10103. , , ,
- 1992 Improved method for the electroporation of Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 94, 133 138. &
- 1992 Bacterial sensitivity and resistance. In: Principles and Practice of Disinfection, Preservation and Sterilization 2nd edn(eds Russell, A.D. Hugo, W.B. & Ayliffe, G.A.J), pp. 211 224. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. &
- 1992 Resistance of meat associated staphylococci to a quaternary ammonium compound. Food Microbiology, 9, 161 167. , ,
- 1989 Physical and biochemical characterization of the qacA gene encoding antiseptic and disinfectant resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of General Microbiology, 135, 1 10. , , , , ,
- 1990 Enterotoxin production by staphylococci isolated from healthy goats. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 56, 1323 1326. , , , , ,
- 1996 Enterotoxin production by coagulase-negative staphylococci isolated from goats’ milk and cheese. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 30, 271 280. , , et al.
- 1995 EmrE, an Escherichia coli 12-kDa multidrug transporter, exchanges toxic cations and H+ and is soluble in organic solvents. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 270, 6856 6863. , ,