Fermentation extract effects on the morphology and metabolism of the rumen fungus Neocallimastix frontalis EB188
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 389–398, March 1999
How to Cite
Chang, J. S., Harper, E. M. and Calza, R. E. (1999), Fermentation extract effects on the morphology and metabolism of the rumen fungus Neocallimastix frontalis EB188. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 389–398. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00673.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6710/04/98: received 24 April 1998, revised 3 October 1998 and accepted 6 October 1998
- 1990a Supernatant protein and cellulase activities of the anaerobic ruminal fungus Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 56, 43 48. &
- 1990b Media carbon induction of extracellular cellulase activities in Neocallimastix frontalis EB188. Current Microbiology, 20, 265 271. &
- 1991 Performance and ruminal function development of young calves fed diets with Aspergillus orzyae fermentation extract. Journal of Dairy Science, 74, 4326 4336. , ,
- 1976 A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein using the principal of protein dye binding. Analalogical Biochemistry, 72, 248 252.
- 1991a Nascent synthesis and secretion of cellobiase in Neocallimastix frontalis EB188. Current Microbiology, 23, 175 180.
- 1991b Cellulases from Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188 synthesized in the presence of protein glycosylation inhibitors: measurement of protein molecular weights and isoelectric focusing values. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 35, 748 752.
- 1990 A note on the effect of Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on the rumen fermentation of sheep given straw. Animal Production, 51, 422 425. , , ,
- 1994 Effects of yeast culture on the growth of representative ruminal bacteria. Journal of Animal Science, 77, 300. &
- 1990 Influence of cultures of Aspergillus oryzae on rumen and total tract digestibility of dietary components. Journal of Dairy Science, 73, 703 710. , ,
- 1993 Removal of anaerobic fungi from the rumen of sheep by chemical treatments and the effect on feed consumption and in vivo fibre digestion. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 17, 220 223. &
- 1996 The effect of Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on the anaerobic fungi Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188, Piromyces communis DC 193 and Orpinomyces ssp. RW 206: generalized effects and component analysis. Applied Microbiology Biotechnology, 45, 817 821. , , , ,
- 1977 Chromatographic procedures for analysis of acid and alcohol products. In Anaerobic Laboratory Manual, pp. 134 178. VPI Press. , ,
- 1979 In Antibiotics, Vol. 5, Eds. Hahn, F.E, pp. 313 340. New York. Springer-Verlag
- 1986 Heat stress in lactating cows. Animal Health Nutrition May/June 1986. &
- 1966 The rumen bacteria. in the Rumen and its Microbes, pp. 20 30. New York. Academic Press.
- 1990. Vanillin – Phosphoric Acid Reagent in Thin Layer Chromatography (eds Hampson, F. & Hampson, J), pp. 430 433. New York. VCH Publishers. , , ,
- 1973 Separation of mesophyll protoplasts and bundle sheath cells from maize leaves for photosynthetic studies. Plant Physiology, 51, 1133 1137. &
- 1990 Effect of feeding Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract or Aspergillus oryzae plus yeast culture plus mineral and vitamin (Suppl.)on performance of Holstein cows during a complete lactation. Journal of Dairy Science, 73, 2922 2928. , ,
- 1991a Fractionation of cellulases from the ruminal fungus Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 57, 3331 3336. &
- 1991b Cellulases from Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188 synthesized in the presence of glycosylation inhibitors: measurement of pH and temperature optima, protease and ion sensitivities. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 35, 741 747. &
- 1992 Effect of direct-fed microbials on rumen microbial fermentation. Journal of Dairy Science, 75, 1736 1744. &
- 1977 Nystatin. In: Analytical Profile of Drug Substances, Vol. 6, eds.Florey, K, pp. 341 421. New York: Academic Press.
- 1991 Influence of autoclaved or irradiated Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on fermentation in the rumen simulation technique (Rusitec). Journal of Agricultural Science, 116, 159 162. , ,
- 1992 The effect of Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extracts on the growth of fungi and ciliate protozoa in the rumen. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 15, 109 112. , ,
- SAS 1989 Software release 6·07. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute.
- 1983 Malate to oxaloacetate reaction. In: Methods of Enzymatic Analysis (ed. Bergmeyer, H.U), pp. 166 171. Weinheim, Germany: Verlag Chemie GmbH.
- 1993 The use of Saccharomyces cerevisiae to suppress the effects of aflatoxicosis in broiler chicks. Poultry Science, 72, 1867 1872. , , ,
- 1994Feeding strategies, taxonomy and evolution. In Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. 2nd edn, pp. 22 39. Ithaca, NY. Cornell University Press.
- 1994 Response to various amounts of Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on ruminal metabolism in cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 77, 3081 3086. &
- 1993 In vitro stimulation of forage fiber degradation by ruminal microorganisms with Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 59, 3171 3176. , , ,
- 1996 The effect of Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on the anaerobic fungus Neocallimastix frontalis EB 188: effects on physiology. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 45, 811 816. , , , ,
- 1987 Effect of yeast culture and Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract on ruminal characteristics and nutrient digestibility. Journal of Dairy Science, 70, 2063 2068. , ,
- 1988 Aerobic and anaerobic fungal cellulases, with special reference to their mode of attack on crystalline cellulose. In: Biochemistry and Genetics of Cellulose Degradation (eds Aubert, P. Beguin, P & Millet, J), pp. 31 52. New York: Academic Press. , , , ,