Protective effect of bifidus milk on the experimental infection with Salmonella enteritidis subsp. typhimurium in conventional and gnotobiotic mice
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 2, pages 331–336, February 1999
How to Cite
Silva, A. M., Bambirra, E. A., Oliveira, A. L., Souza, P. P., Gomes, D. A., Vieira, E. C. and Nicoli, J. R. (1999), Protective effect of bifidus milk on the experimental infection with Salmonella enteritidis subsp. typhimurium in conventional and gnotobiotic mice. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 331–336. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00674.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6891/09/98: received 18 September 1998 and accepted 6 October 1998
- 1984 The intestinal microflora of infants: composition of fecal flora in breast-fed and bottle-fed infants. Microbiology and Immunology, 28, 975 986. , ,
- 1996 The indigenous gastrointestinal microflora. Trends in Microbiology, 4, 430 435.
- 1994 Lactobacillus acidophilus LA 1 binds to human intestinal cell lines and inhibits cell attachment and cell invasion by enterovirulent bacteria. Gut, 35, 483 489. , , ,
- 1998 Intracellular signal triggered by cholera toxin in Saccharomyces boulardii and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64, 564 568. , , et al.
- 1974 The route of enteric infection in normal mice. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 139, 1189 1203. &
- 1987 Yogurt with Bifidobacterium longum reduces erythromycin-induced gastrointestinal effects. Lancet, 2, 43. , , ,
- 1985 Modulation of cytotoxin production by Clostridium difficile in the intestinal tracts of gnotobiotic mice inoculated with various human intestinal bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 49, 250 252. , ,
- 1995 Intestinal epithelial cells as watchdogs for the natural immune system. Trends in Microbiology, 3, 118 120. , ,
- 1992. Probiotic. The Scientific Basis (ed. R.Fuller. )London. Chapman & Hall.
- 1993 Augmentation of macrophage phagocytic activity by cell-free extracts of selected lactic acid-producing bacteria. Journal of Dairy Science, 76, 2485 2492. &
- 1994 Salmonella typhimurium initiates murine infection by penetrating and destroying the specialized epithelial M cells of the Peyer’s patches. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 180, 15 23. , ,
- 1998 Analysis of fecal populations of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli and investigation of the immunological responses of their human hosts to the predominant strains. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 3394 3398. , , ,
- 1988 Microbiological considerations in selection and preparation of Lactobacillus strains for use as dietary adjuncts. Biochimie, 70, 337 349.
- 1996 Therapeutic use of an antibiotic-resistant Bifidobacterium preparation in men exposed to high-dose γ-irradiation. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 44, 70 74. , , , , ,
- 1990 Experimental salmonellosis in conventional and germfree mice: bacteriological and immunological aspects. Microecology and Therapy, 20, 313 317. , , et al.
- 1996 Epithelial M cells: gateways for mucosal injection and immunization. Cell, 86, 345 348. , ,
- 1974 Gnotobiotics. In: Handbook of Laboratory Animal Science (eds Melby, E.C. & Altman, N.H), pp. 119 174. Cleveland: CRC Press.
- 1995 Microbes to fight microbes: a not so novel approach to controlling diarrheal disease. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 21, 125 129.
- 1994 Feeding of Bifidobacterium bifidum and Streptococcus thermophilus to infants in hospital for prevention of diarrhoea and shedding of rotavirus. Lancet, 344, 1046 1049. , , , ,
- 1997 Probiotic properties of lactic-acid bacteria: plenty of scope for fundamental R & D. Trends in Biotechnology, 15, 270 274.
- 1982 Effect of β-lactam antibiotics on the resistance of the digestive tract to colonization. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 146, 417 422. , ,
- 1997 Biotherapeutic effects of probiotic bacteria on candidiasis in immunodeficient mice. Infection and Immunity, 65, 4165 4172. , , et al.
- 1989 Immunogenicity of Bifidobacterium breve and change in antibody production in Peyer’s patches after oral administration. Journal of Dairy Science, 72, 30. , ,