Diversity of bacterial strains degrading hexadecane in relation to the mode of substrate uptake
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 421–428, March 1999
How to Cite
Bouchez Naïtali, M., Rakatozafy, H., Marchal, R., Leveau, J. Y. and Vandecasteele, J. P. (1999), Diversity of bacterial strains degrading hexadecane in relation to the mode of substrate uptake. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 421–428. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00678.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2003
- 6783/06/98: received 29 June 1998, revised 5 October 1998 and accepted 7 October 1998
- 1996 Identification and production of a rhamnolipidic biosurfactant by a Pseudomonas species. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 45, 162–168. , &
- 1984. Petroleum Microbiology. New York. Macmillan Publishing Company.
- 1970 Corynebacterium diphteriae and its relatives. Bacteriological Reviews, 34, 378–422.
- 1995 Hydrocarbons, alcohols and sterols in the dissolved + colloidal and particulate phases of the waters from a dystrophic lake, Skjervatjern lake (Norway). Water Research, 29, 2017–2030. , &
- 1986 Eine neue methode zur enzymatischen bestimmung von nitrat in lebensmitteln. Deutsche Lebensmittel-Rundschau, 82, 283–289. &
- 1988 Surface active compounds on microbial cultures. Tenside Surfactants Detergents, 25, 208–211. , , , , &
- 1995 Degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by pure strains and by defined strains associations: inhibition phenomena and cometabolism. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 43, 156–164. , &
- 1997 An interfacial uptake mechanism for the degradation of pyrene by a Rhodococcus strain. Microbiology, 143, 1087–1093. , &
- 1984 The physiology of hydrocarbon-utilizing microorganisms. In: Enzyme and Fermentation Biotechnology (ed. Wieseman, A), pp. 11–77. New York: Halstead Press, John Wiley. &
- 1984 Microbial degradation of aliphatic hydrocarbons. In: Microbial Degradation of Organic Compounds (ed. Gibson, D.T), pp. 89–130. New York: Marcel Dekker.
- 1997 Microbial production of surfactants and their commercial potential. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, 61, 47–64. &
- 1996 Biosurfactant production by a soil Pseudomonas strain growing on polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 62, 1908–12. , , , &
- 1956 Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical Chemistry, 28, 350–356. , , , &
- 1992 The familly Nocardiaceae. in the Prokaryotes. 2nd edn(eds Ballows, A. Trüper, H.G. Workin, M. Harder, W. & Schleifer, K.H), pp. 1188–1213. New York. Springer-Verlag.
- 1991 Different modes of hydrocarbon uptake by two Pseudomonas species. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 37, 1–11. &
- 1984 Pseudomonas aeruginosa biosurfactant production in continuous culture with glucose as carbon source. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 48, 301–305. , &
- 1986 Extracellular microbial lipids as biosurfactants. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, 33, 53–93. , , &
- 1994 Formation and function of biosurfactants for degradation of water-insoluble substrates. In: Biochemistry of Microbial Biodegradation (ed. Ratledge, C), pp. 63–87. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- 1997 The effect of temperature on eicosane substrate uptake modes by a marine bacterium Pseudmonas nautica strain 617: relationship with the biochemical content of cells and supernatants. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 13, 587–590. , , , &
- 1976. Chemistry and Biochemistry of Natural Waxes. Amsterdam, Oxford. New York. Elsevier.
- 1990 Microbial degradation of hydrocarbons in the environment. Microbiological Reviews, 54, 305–315. &
- 1996 Emulsifier production and microscopical study of emulsions and biofilms formed by the hydrocarbon-utilizing bacteria Acinetobacter calcoaceticus MM5. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 44, 660–667. , &
- 1996 Screening and selection of surfactant-producing bacteria from waste lubricating oil. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 81, 161–166. , , et al.
- 1996 Significance of bacterial surface-active compounds in interaction of bacteria with interfaces. Microbiological Reviews, 60, 151–166.
- 1990 Emulsifying agents from bacteria isolated during screening for cells with hydrophobic surfaces. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 32, 521–525. &
- 1989 Chemical characterization and physicochemical behavior of biosurfactants. Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 66, 141–145. , , et al.
- 1997 Rapid identification of biosurfactant-producing bacterial strains using a cell surface hydrophobicity technique. Biotechnology Techniques, 11, 671–674. &
- 1988 Biosurfactant production and diauxic growth of Rhodococcus aurantiacus when using n-alkanes as carbon source. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 34, 1209–1212. , , , , &
- 1989 Effect of carbon source on biosurfactant production by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Biotechnology Letters, 11, 871–874. , , et al.
- 1992 The hydrocarbon-oxidizing bacteria. in the Procaryotes. 2nd edn (eds Balows, A. Trüper, H.G. Harder, W. & Schleifer, K.H), pp. 446–459. New York. Springer-Verlag.
- 1993 Exploiting microbial growth on hydrocarbons – new markets. Trends in Biotechnology, 11, 419–424.
- 1980 Adherence of bacteria to hydrocarbons: a simple method for measuring cell surface hydrophobicity. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 9, 29–33. , &
- 1981 Role of adherence in growth of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus RAG-1 on hexadecane. Journal of Bacteriology, 148, 51–57. &
- 1979 Characterization of hydrocarbon emulsification and solubilization occurring during the growth of Endomycopsis lipolytica on hydrocarbons. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 21, 955–974. , , &
- 1983 Emulsifier production by Acinetobacter calcoaceticus strains. Current Microbiology, 9, 309–314. &
- 1984 Microbial metabolism of straight-chain and branched alkanes. In: Microbial Metabolism of Straight-Chain and Branched Alkanes (ed. Atlas, R.M), pp. 1–60. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company. &
- 1985 Chemical and physical characterization of four interfacial-active rhamnolipids from Pseudomonas spec. DSM grown on n-alkanes. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung, 40c, 51–60. , &
- 1994 Effect of a Pseudomonas rhamnolipid biosurfactant on cell hydrophobicity and biodegradation of octadecane. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 60, 2101–2106. &
- 1995 Effect of rhamnolipid (biosurfactant) structure on solubilization and biodegradation of n-alkane. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 61, 2247–2251. &