Effect of elevated oxygen and carbon dioxide on the surface growth of vegetable-associated micro-organisms
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 429–438, March 1999
How to Cite
Amanatidou, A., Smid, E. J. and Gorris, L. G. M. (1999), Effect of elevated oxygen and carbon dioxide on the surface growth of vegetable-associated micro-organisms. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 429–438. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00682.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6790/07/98: received 1 July 1998, revised 12 October 1998 and accepted 14 October 1998
- 1996 New approaches in improving the shelf life of minimally processed fruit and vegetables. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 7, 179 187.
- 1981 Manganese superoxide dismutase and oxygen tolerance in some lactic acid bacteria. Journal of Bacteriology, 146, 928 936. &
- 1993 A non-autonomous differential equation to model bacterial growth. Food Microbiology, 10, 43 59. , ,
- 1991 Microbial changes in shredded Iceberg lettuce stored at controlled atmospheres. Journal of Food Science, 56 (1586–1588), 1599. , , ,
- 1996 Microbiology of minimally processed, modified atmosphere packaged chicory endive. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 9, 209 221. , , , , ,
- 1995 Growth of psychrotrophic foodborne pathogens in solid surface model system under the influence of carbon dioxide and oxygen. Food Microbiology, 12, 509 519. , , ,
- 1998 The influence of oxygen and carbon dioxide on the growth of prevalent Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonas species isolated from fresh and modified atmosphere stored vegetables. Food Microbiology, 15, 459 469. , , ,
- 1989 Growth of L. monocytogenes on fresh vegetables stored at controlled atmosphere. Journal of Food Protection, 52, 702 705. , ,
- 1994 Microbiological spoilage and pathogens in minimally processed refrigerated fruits and vegetables. In: Minimally Processed Refrigerated Fruits and Vegetables (ed. Wiley, R.C), pp. 269 312. New York: Chapman & Hall.
- 1971 Influence of oxygen tension on the physiology of Saccharomyces cerevisiae in continuous cultures. Antonie Van Leeuvenhoek, 37, 477 487. &
- 1996 Effects of carbon dioxide on the fate of L. monocytogenes, of aerobic bacteria and on the development of spoilage in minimally processed fresh endive. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 32, 159 172. , , , ,
- 1987 Responses of lactic acid bacteria to oxygen. FEMS Microbiological Reviews, 46, 269 280.
- 1985 A review of effects of carbon dioxide on microbial growth and food quality. Journal of Food Protection, 48, 532 537. , ,
- 1992. Guidelines for the Good Manufacturing and Handling of Modified Atmopshere Packed Food Products. Technical Manual, Campden Food and Drink Research Association 34.
- 1996a High oxygen modified atmosphere packaging for fresh prepared produce. Postharvest News and Information. Conference Proceedings, 7 (3), 31N 34N.
- 1996b Novel MAP for fresh prepared produce. The European Food and Drink Review 1996 (spring), 73–80.
- 1983 Inducible repair of oxidative DNA damage in E. coli. Nature, 304, 446 448. &
- 1989 The inhibition by CO2 of the growth and metabolism of micro-organisms. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 67, 109 136. &
- 1984 The effect of CO2 on bacterial growth and on uptake processes in bacterial membrane vehicles. International Journal of Food Microbiology., 1, 179 185.
- 1983 Microcultural studies on the effect of several gas atmospheres on microbial growth at different temperatures. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 55, 119 125. &
- 1980 Effect of high concentrations of CO2 on growth rate of Pseudomonas fragi, Bacillus cereus and Streptococcus cremoris. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 48, 409 416. &
- 1993 The effect of modified atmospheres on the growth of psychrotrophic pseudomonas on a surface in a model system. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 20, 97 110. , ,
- 1996 A review of the microbiological safety of fresh salads. Dairy Food and Environmental Sanitation, 16, 146 149.
- 1991 Microbiological aspects of modified atmosphere packaging technology – a review. Journal of Food Protection, 54, 58 70.
- 1991 Oxidative stress responses in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. Microbiological Reviews, 55, 561 585. &
- 1997 Effect of gas atmosphere, antimicrobial dip and temperature on the fate of Listeria innocua and Listeria monocytogenes on minimally processed lettuce. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 32, 141 151. &
- 1986 Biological effects of the superoxide radical. Archives in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 247, 1 11.
- 1979 Effect of carbon dioxide on growth of Ps. Fluorescens. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 38, 237 240. &
- 1980 Effect of carbon dioxide on growth of meat spoilage bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 39, 317 319. &
- 1992 Modified atmosphere and vacuum packaging to extend the shelf life of respiring produce. Horttechnology, 2, 303 315. &
- 1974 Oxygen metabolism in Lactobacillus plantarum. Journal of Bacteriology, 117, 166 169. &
- 1984 Lipid peroxidation, oxygen radicals, transition metals and disease. Biochemistry Journal, 219, 1 4. &
- 1988 Experimental approaches to determining the safety of food packaged in modified atmospheres. Food Technology, 42 (55), 60 62, 64.
- 1987 Determination of the carbonation tolerance of yeasts. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 5, 11 33. &
- 1982 Effect of CO2 on yeast growth and fermentation. Enzyme Microbiology and Technology, 4, 210 223. &
- 1986 Biochemical and physiological bases for effects of controlled and modified atmospheres on fruits and vegetables. Food Technology, 5, 99 105.
- 1989 Modified atmosphere packaging of vegetables. CRC Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 28, 1 30. , ,
- 1991 Fate of Listeria monocytogenes in shredded cabbage stored at 5 and 25 oC under a modified atmosphere. Journal of Food Protection, 54, 302 304. , , et al.
- 1987 Interactions of oxygen, carbon dioxide, temperature and ethylene that may induce injuries in vegetables. Hortscience, 22, 791 794.
- 1992 Ecosystems in vegetable foods. Journal of Applied Bacteriology 73, Symposium Suppl. 115S–126S.
- 1992 Microbial population dynamics in ready to use vegetable salads. Italian Journal of Food Science, 2, 97 108. , ,
- 1994 Modified atmosphere packaging of vegetables: an appraisal. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 31, 267 278. &
- 1983 The resistance to carbon dioxide of some food related bacteria. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 18, 214 217.
- 1996 The molecular defences against reactive oxygen species in yeast. Molecular Microbiology, 19, 651 658. , , ,
- 1994 The microbiology of minimally processed fresh fruits and vegetables. CRC Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 34, 371 401. &
- 1993 Effect of carbon dioxide, oxygen and their gas mixtures on the growth of some food borne pathogens and spoilage bacteria in modified atmosphere package of food. Journal of Food Hygiene Society Japan, 34, 283 288. , , ,
- 1990 Batch and continuous cultivation of Ps. fluorescens at increased pressure. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 35, 983 989.
- 1991 Inhibition factors produced by lactic acid bacteria. 1. Oxygen metabolites and catabolism end-products. Lait, 71, 525 541. &
- 1997 Physiological behaviour of Saccharomyces cerevisiae under increased air and oxygen pressures. Biotechnology Letters, 19, 703 708. , ,
- 1995 Oxygen effect on batch cultures of Leuc. mesenteroides: Relationship between oxygen uptake, growth and end-products. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 43, 117 122. , ,
- 1975 Effect of lactobacilli and carbon dioxide on growth of Microbac. thermosphactum on fresh beef. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 21, 629 632. &
- 1997 Environmental Stress Responses in L. lactis: Identification of Genes and Use of Expression Signals. PhD Thesis, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, The Netherlands.
- 1995 Influence of modified atmosphere packaging on shelf-life of chicken carcasses under refrigerated storage conditions. Journal of Food Safety, 15, 35 51. , , , ,
- 1980 Microbiological safety considerations in controlled atmosphere storage of meats. Food Technology, 34, 59 63. &
- 1995 The safety of modified atmosphere packaged fruits and vegetables. COST 94. The post-harvest treatment of fruit and vegetables: modified atmosphere packaging. In: Proceedings of a Workshop, Istanbul, Turkey, 1–2October 1992, pp. 65 77. DG XIII-A. Luxembourg: Commission of the European Communities. , , ,
- 1988 Modified atmosphere packaging of fresh produce. Food Technology, 42, 70 77. &