Influence of organic matter, cations and surfactants on the antimicrobial activity of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil in vitro
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 446–452, March 1999
How to Cite
Hammer, K. A., Carson, C. F. and Riley, T. V. (1999), Influence of organic matter, cations and surfactants on the antimicrobial activity of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil in vitro. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 446–452. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00684.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6857/08/98: received 19 August 1998, revised 14 October 1998 and accepted 14 October 1998
- 1987 Preservation of mixtures, suspensions and syrups. In Preservatives in the Food, Pharmaceutical and Environmental Industries (eds Board, R.G. Allwood, M.C. & Banks, J.G), pp. 197 210. Oxford, UK. Blackwell Scientific Publications. &
- 1989 Australian tea tree oil – a natural antiseptic. Australian Journal of Biotechnology, 3, 247 248.
- 1967 Types and characteristics of disinfectants. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 30, 6 16.
- 1995 Antiviral activity of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (Maiden and Betche) Cheel (tea tree) against tobacco mosaic virus. Journal of Essential Oil Research, 7, 641 644.
- 1991 Methods for assessing antimicrobial activity. In: Mechanisms of Action of Chemical Biocides, Their Study and Exploitation (eds Denyer, S.P. & Hugo, W.B), pp. 1 22. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- 1989 Gas chromatographic quality control for oil of Melaleuca terpinen-4-ol type (Australian tea tree). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 37, 1330 1335. , , , ,
- 1993 Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 16, 49 55. &
- 1995 Antimicrobial activity of the major components of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 78, 264 269. &
- 1996 Working with and against tea tree oil – issues of synergy and antagonism. Abstract 8. In: Program and Abstracts of the 19th International Federation of the Societies of Cosmetic Chemists Congress. Sydney, Australia: International Federation of the Societies of Cosmetic Chemists. &
- 1988 Comparison of sodium hypochlorite and sodium dichloroisocyanurate disinfectants: neutralization by serum. Journal of Hospital Infection, 11, 60 67.
- 1983 Neutralisation of the activity of eight disinfectants by organic matter. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 54, 243 247. &
- 1992. Infectious Diseases. Philadelphia, USA. W.B. Saunders, Company. , ,
- 1980 A review. Antimicrobial activity, uses and mechanism of action of glutaraldehyde. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 48, 161 190. &
- 1978 The development of Australian legislation for disinfectants. Australian Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, 8, 149 155.
- 1998 Effects of tea tree oil on Escherichia coli. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 26, 194 198. , , et al.
- 1996 Susceptibility of transient and commensal skin flora to the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil). American Journal of Infection Control, 24, 186 189. , ,
- 1997 Antimicrobial action of essential oils: the effect of dimethylsulfoxide on the activity of cinnamon oil. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 24, 269 275. , ,
- 1930 A new Australian germicide. Medical Journal of Australia, 1, 417 418.
- International Organisation for Standardization 1996 ISO 4730 Oil of Melaleuca . terpinen-4-ol type (tea tree oil). Switzerland: International Organisation for Standardization.
- 1994 Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) dermatitis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 30, 423 427. &
- 1994 Interaction of divalent cations, quinolones and bacteria. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 34, 465 483. &
- 1997 Modified quantitative Association of Official Analytical Chemists Sporicidal test for liquid chemical germicides. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 3304 3307. , , , ,
- 1996 Antifungal activity of the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil) against pathogenic fungi in vitro. Skin Pharmacology, 9, 388 394. , ,
- 1992 Oxygen tensions and infections: modulation of microbial growth, activity of antimicrobial agents, and immunologic responses. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 14, 720 740. , ,
- 1937 Some notes on the essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia. Australian Journal of Pharmacy, 18, 274 275. &
- 1993 Inhibition of antibacterial activity of essential oils by Tween 80 and ethanol in liquid medium. Journal de Pharmacie de Belgique, 48, 352 356. , , ,
- 1988 Screening methods for natural products with antimicrobial activity: a review of the literature. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 23, 127 149. , ,
- 1990. Understanding Antibacterial Action and Resistance. West Sussex, UK. Ellis Horwood Ltd. &
- 1992. Principles and Practice of Disinfection, Preservation and Sterilisation. 2nd edn. Oxford, UK. Blackwell Scientific Publications. , ,
- 1976 Analysis and optimisation of a quantitative organic soil neutralisation test for disinfectants. Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 59, 1344 1351. &