Diversity of Ruminococcus strains: a survey of genetic polymorphisms and plant digestibility
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 487–495, March 1999
How to Cite
Krause, D. O., Bunch, R. J., Smith, W. J. M. and McSweeney, C. S. (1999), Diversity of Ruminococcus strains: a survey of genetic polymorphisms and plant digestibility. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 487–495. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00688.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6806/07/98: received 21 July 1998, revised 21 October 1998 and accepted 26 October 1998
- 1982 Forage cell wall degradation and, p-coumaric, ferulic, and sinapic acids. Agronomy Journal, 74, 424 428.
- 1974 Rumen bacterial interrelationships with plant tissue during degradation revealed by transmission electron microscopy. Applied Microbiology, 27, 1149 1156. , ,
- 1973 Digestion of polysaccharide constituents of tropical pasture herbage in the bovine rumen. Part IV. The hydrolysis of hemicelluloses from spear grass by cell-free enzyme systems from rumen fluid. Carbohydrate Research, 29, 79 87. &
- 1994 DNA sequence divergence among derivatives of Escherichia coli K-12 detected by arbitrary primer PCR (Random amplified polymorphic DNA) fingerprinting. Journal of Bacteriology, 176, 1673 1682. , ,
- 1989 Kinetics of protein degradation in the rumen. In: Adsorption and Utilization of Amino Acids, Vol. III, eds.Friedman, M. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- 1972 Commentary on the Hungate technique for culture of anaerobic bacteria. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 25, 1324 1328.
- 1982 Feed intake, apparent diet digestibility, and rate of particulate passage in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, 65, 1445 1456. , ,
- 1992 Use of repetitive (repetitive extragenic palindromic and enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus) sequences and the polymerase chain reaction to fingerprint the genomes of Rhizobium meliloti isolates and other soil bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 58, 2180 2187.
- 1967 Extent of cellulose and hemicellulose digestion in various forages by pure cultures of cellulolytic rumen bacteria. Journal of Dairy Science, 50, 1136 1141. &
- 1970 Forage fiber analyses (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some applications). In: USDA Agricultural Handbook No. 379 . Washington, D.C. US Government Printing Office. &
- 1963 The cellulolytic activity of pure strains of bacteria from the rumen of cattle. Journal of General Microbiology, 32, 441 448. &
- 1997 Bacteria, fungi, and protozoa of the rumen. In: Gastrointestinal Microbiology, Vol. 2, eds. Mackie, R.I., White, B.A. & Isaacson, R.E, pp. 59 141. New York: Chapman & Hall. , ,
- 1950 The anaerobic mesophilic cellulolytic bacteria. Bacteriological Reviews, 14, 1 49.
- 1996 Use of homoduplex ribosomal DNA spacer amplification products and heteroduplex cross-hybridization products in identification of Salmonella serovars. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 62, 2741 2746. &
- 1997 Isolation and characterization of a bacteriocin (Butyrivibriocin AR10) from the ruminal anaerobe Butyrivibrio fibrisolvens AR10: evidence in support of the widespread occurrence of bacteriocin-like activity among ruminal isolates of B. fibrisolvens. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 394 402. &
- 1969 Extent of solubilization of alpha-cellulose and hemicellulose of low-protein tef hay by pure cultures of cellulolytic rumen bacteria. Journal of General Microbiology, 55, 459 462. &
- 1999 16S rDNA sequencing of Ruminococcus albus and Ruminococcus flavefaciens: design of a signature probe and application in adult sheep. Microbiology (submitted). , , , ,
- 1996 How many ruminal bacteria are there? Journal of Dairy Science, 79, 1467 1475. &
- 1993 Development of a random amplification of polymorphic DNA typing method for Listeria monocytogenes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 59, 3117 3119. , ,
- 1997 Gastrointestinal detoxification and digestive disorders in ruminant animals. In: Gastrointestinal Microbiology, Vol. 1, eds. Mackie, R.I. & White, B.A, pp. 583 634. New York: Chapman & Hall. &
- 1980 Comparison of the action of rumen bacteria on cell walls from Eragrostis tef. Journal of Agricultural Science, 95, 313 323. &
- 1991 Manipulation of fibre digestion in the rumen. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 50, 187 196.
- 1997 A molecular view of microbial diversity and the biosphere. Science, 276, 734 740.
- 1995 Phylogenetic analysis by 16S ribosomal DNA sequence comparison reveals two unrelated groups of species within the genus Ruminococcus. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 129, 69 74. &
- 1990 The implication of the loss and regain of cotton-degrading activity for the degradation of straw by Ruminococcus flavefaciens 007. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 68, 349 356. , , , ,
- 1998 Short-sequence DNA repeats in procaryotic genomes. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Review, 62, 275 293. , , ,
- 1970 The effect of supplementing a low-protein hay on the cellulolytic bacteria in the rumen of sheep and on the digestibility of cellulose and hemicellulose. Journal of Agriculture Science, 74, 169 180.
- 1991 Distribution of repetitive DNA sequences in eubacteria and application to fingerprinting of bacterial genomes. Nucleic Acids Research, 19, 6823 6831. , ,
- 1998 Genotypic characterization of Bradyrhizobium strains nodulating endemic woody legumes of the Canary Islands by PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of genes encoding 16S rRNA (16S rDNA) and 16S–23S rDNA intergenic spacers, repetitive extragenic palindromic PCR genomic fingerprinting, and partial 16S rDNA sequencing. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64, 2096 2104. , , ,
- 1996 Why don’t ruminal bacteria digest cellulose faster? Journal of Dairy Science, 79, 1496 1502.