Serodiagnosis of infection with Verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 569–575, April 1999
How to Cite
Jenkins, C. and Chart, H. (1999), Serodiagnosis of infection with Verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 569–575. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00695.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6911/10/98: received 5 October 1998, revised 6 November 1998 and accepted 11 November 1998
- 1989 Close association of verotoxin production with enterohaemolysin production in strains of Escherichia coli. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 27, 2559–2564. , , et al.
- 1979 A rapid alkaline extraction procedure for screening recombinant plasmid DNA. Nucleic Acid Research, 7, 1513–1523. &
- 1996 Serological identification of infection by verocytotoxin producing. E. Coli. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 23, 322–324. , &
- 1985 Antigenic and molecular homology of the ferric enterobactin receptor protein of. Escherichia Coli. Journal of General Microbiology, 131, 1503–1509. &
- 1998 Serum antibodies to secreted proteins in patients infected with Escherichia coli O157 and other VTEC. Epidemiology and Infection, 129, 239–243. , , &
- 1990 Serological identification of infection by Vero cytotoxin producing Escherichia coli in patients with haemolytic uraemic syndrome. Serodiagnosis and Immunotherapy in Infectious Diseases, 4, 413–418. &
- 1992 A simple procedure for the preparation of lipopolysaccharides for production of antisera. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 14, 263–265. &
- 1997 A simple dot immunoassay for detecting antibodies to the lipopolysaccharide of verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli in patients with haemolytic uraemic syndrome. Journal of Microbiology Methods, 28, 85–88. &
- 1993a Heterogeneity of lipopolysaccharides by strains of Escherichia coli O157. Journal of Infection, 27, 237–241. , , &
- 1989 Serum antibodies to E. coli serotype 0157: H7 in patients with hemolytic uremic syndrome. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 27, 285–290. , ,
- 1995Enteroaggregative strains of Escherichia coli belonging to serotypes O126: H27 and O44: H18 express antigenically similar 18 kDa outer membrane–associated proteins. FEMS Microbiology Letters 132, 17–22. , &
- 1991 Serological identification of Escherichia coli 0157: H7 infection in haemolytic uraemic syndrome. Lancet, 337, 138–140. , , , , &
- 1993b Serological detection of verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli in patients with haemolytic uraemic syndrome in Western Europe. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease, 12, 707–709. , , , &
- 1995 Further characterisation of a monoclonal antibody reactive with Escherichia coli O157: H7. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 43, 262–269. , &
- 1991 Construction of an eae deletion mutant of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli by using a positive-selection suicide vector. Infection and Immunity, 59, 4310–4317. &
- 1993 A second chromosomal gene necessary for intimate attachment of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli to epithelial cells. Journal of Bacteriology, 175, 4670–4671. , &
- 1994 The eae B gene of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli is necessary for signal transduction in epithelial cells. Infection and Immunity, 62, 3038–3040. , , &
- 1983 Morphological heterogeneity among Salmonella lipopolysaccharide chemotypes in silver staining polyacrylamide gels. Journal of Bacteriology, 154, 269–277. &
- 1995 Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli contains a putative type III secretion system for the export of proteins involved in attaching and effacing lesion formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA, 92, 7996–8000. , , et al.
- 1996 Secretion of extracellular proteins by enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli via a putative type III secretion system. Infection and Immunity, 64, 4826–4829. &
- 1991 Plasmid and chromosomal elements involved in the pathogenesis of attaching and effacing Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity, 59, 3869–3875. , &
- 1996 Growing concerns and recent outbreaks involving non-0157, H7 serotypes of verotoxigenic E. coli. Journal of Food Protection, 59, 1112–1122. , , et al.
- 1989 Infection by verocytotoxin producing. E. Coli. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 2, 15–28.
- 1995 Protein secretion by enteropathogenic Escherichia coli is essential for transducing signals to epithelial cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA, 92, 7991–7995. &
- 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680–685.
- 1987 A DNA probe to identify enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli of O157: H7 and other serotypes that cause haemorrhagic colitis and hemolytic uremic syndrome. Journal of Infectious Disease, 156, 175–182. , , et al.
- 1991Production and characterization of a monoclonal antibody specific for enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli of serotypes O157: H7 and O26: H11.Journal of Clinical Microbiology 29, 99–103. &
- 1995 Molecular analysis of the plasmid-encoded hemolysin of Escherichia coli O157: H7 strain EDL 933. Infection and Immunity, 63, 1055–1061. , &
- 1979 Purification and partial characterization of heat-stable enterotoxin of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity, 25, 978–985. , , , &
- 1996 Verocytotoxin producing E. coli, particularly serogroup 0157, associated with human infections in England and Wales: 1992–94. Epidemiology and Infection, 117, 1–10. , , , , &
- 1984 Immunoblotting and dot immunoblotting–current status and outlook. Journal of Immunological Methods, 72, 313–340. &
- 1982 A sensitive silver stain for detecting lipopolysaccharide in polyacrylamide gels. Analytical Biochemistry, 119, 115–119. &