Resistant starch modifies gut microflora and microbial metabolism in human flora-associated rats inoculated with faeces from Italian and UK donors
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 3, pages 521–530, March 1999
How to Cite
Silvi, S., Rumney, C. J., Cresci, A. and Rowland, I. R. (1999), Resistant starch modifies gut microflora and microbial metabolism in human flora-associated rats inoculated with faeces from Italian and UK donors. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 521–530. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00696.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6890/09/98: received 18 September 1998, revised 6 November 1998 and accepted 11 November 1998
- 1981 Recent concepts of initiation and promotion in carcinogenesis. American Journal of Pathology, 105, 3 9.
- 1986 Comparison of the fecal microflora in rural Japanese and urban Canadians. Microbiology and Immunology, 30, 521 532. , , , , ,
- 1996 Resistant starch lowers fecal concentrations of ammonia and phenols in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 63, 766 772. , , , ,
- 1991 Starchy foods and colon proliferation in mice. Nutrition and Cancer, 15, 33 40. , , ,
- 1994 Starch intake and colorectal cancer risk: an international comparison. British Journal of Cancer, 69, 119 125. , ,
- 1984 Colon absorption: the importance of SCFAs in man. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 93 (Suppl.), 89 99.
- 1996 Digestion and physiological properties of resistant starch in the human large bowel. British Journal of Nutrition, 75, 733 747. , , , ,
- 1985 Digestion of the polysaccharides of some cereal foods in the human small intestine. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 42, 778 787. &
- 1986 Digestion of the polysaccharides of banana (Musa paradisiaca sapientum) in man. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 44, 42 50. &
- 1987 Digestion of the polysaccharides of potato in the small intestine of man. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 45, 423 431. &
- 1992 Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 46 (Suppl.2), S33 S50. , ,
- 1986 Breakdown of resistant and readily digestible starch by human gut bacteria. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 37, 699 706. &
- 1989 Probiotics in man and animals. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 66, 365 378.
- 1982 Quantitative studies on epithelial replacement in the gut. In: Techniques in Digestive Physiology (eds Titchen, D.A pp.P212/1 P212/23.Ireland: Elsevier Scientific Publishers. &
- 1997 Retrograded (RS3) but not uncooked (RS2) resistant starch lowers faecal ammonia concentrations in healthy men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 65, 167 168. , , ,
- 1995 Comparison of composition of faecal microbiota and metabolism of faecal bacteria among ‘human-flora-associated’ mice inoculated with faeces from six different human donors. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease, 8, 199 211. , , ,
- 1973. Anaerobe Laboratory Manual. 2nd edn. Blacksburg, USA: Anaerobe Laboratory. &
- 1997 Feeding resistant starch affects fecal and cecal microflora and short chain fatty acids in rats. Journal of Animal Science, 75, 2453 2462. , , , , ,
- 1988 Deconjugation of biliary metabolites by microfloral β-glucuronidases, sulphatases and cysteine conjugate β-lyases and their subsequent enterohepatic circulation. In: Role of the Gut Flora in Toxicity and Cancer (ed. Rowland, I.R), pp. 79 107. London: Academic Press.
- 1991 Very acidic fermentations in the rat caecum during adaptation to a diet rich in amylase-resistant starch (crude potato starch). Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2, 31 36. , ,
- 1991 Large intestinal pH and ammonia in rats: dietary fat and protein interactions. Journal of Nutrition, 121, 832 843. &
- 1988 Biomarkers of increased susceptibility to gastrointestinal cancer: new application to studies of cancer prevention in human subject. Cancer Research, 48, 235 245.
- 1991 The colonic flora, fermentation and large bowel digestive function. in the Large Intestine: Physiology, Pathophysiology, and Disease (eds Phillips, S.F. Pemberton, J.H. & Shorter, R.G), pp. 51 92. New York: Foundation. Raven Press. &
- 1983 Metabolic activity and enzyme induction in rat fecal microflora maintained in continuous culture. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 46, 591 595. , ,
- 1989 The influence of incubation pH on the activity of rat and human gut flora enzymes. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 66, 433 437. , ,
- 1987 The use of rats associated with a human faecal flora as a model for studying the effects of diet on the human gut microflora. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 63, 39 45. , , , , ,
- 1988 Influence of starches of low digestibility on the rat caecal microflora. British Journal of Nutrition, 60, 597 604. , , , ,
- 1985 Modification of rat caecal microbial biotransformation activities by dietary saccharin. Toxicology, 36, 253 262. , ,
- 1990 Bifidobacteria and their role in human health. Journal of Industrial Microbiology, 6, 263 268.
- 1995 Intestinal floras of populations that have a high risk of colon cancer. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 61, 3202 3207. &
- 1990 Determinants and consequences of colonic luminal pH: implications for colon cancer. Nutrition and Cancer, 14, 161 173. &
- 1995 Effect of resistant starch on faecal bulk and fermentation dependent events in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 62, 121 130. , , et al.
- 1982 Biliary control of β-glucuronidase activity in the luminal contents of the rat ileum, caecum, and rectum. Cancer Research, 42, 5165 5166. , , , , ,
- 1995 Carcinogenesis-related bacterial enzymes and colon cancer. In: Intestinal Flora and Cancer (ed. Mitsuoka, T), pp. 79 93. Tokyo: Japan Scientific Societies Press.
- 1985 The effect of diet on mammalian gut flora and its metabolic activities. CRC Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 16, 31 103. , ,
- 1998 Effect of non-digestible oligosaccharides and resistant starch on biochemical and mucosal biomarkers of colonic neoplasia in rats. In: Functional Properties of Non-Digestible Carbohydrates (eds Guillon, F. Amado, R. Amaral-Collaco, M.T et al.), pp. 219 221. Nantes: INRA. , , , ,
- 1993 The effects of transgalactosylated oligosaccharides on gut flora metabolism in rats associated with a human faecal microflora. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 74, 667 674. &
- 1995 The inclusion of lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) seed meal or its fibre residue in the diet reduces the levels of Escherichia coli in both small and large intestines of the rat. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease, 8, 101 105. , , ,
- 1992 In vivo and in vitro models of the human colonic microflora. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 31, 299 331. &
- 1992 Effect of soybean oligosaccharides on the human gut microflora in in vitro culture. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease, 5, 105 110. , ,
- 1988 The effect of starch malabsorption on fecal short chain fatty acid excretion in man. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, 23, 755 759. , , ,
- 1992 Effect of Lactulose on the composition and metabolic activity of the human faecal flora. Microbial Ecology in Health and Disease, 5, 43 50. , , ,
- 1994 Effect of resistant starch on colonic fermentation, bile acid metabolism and mucosal proliferation. Digestive Diseases Science, 39, 834 842. , ,
- 1983 Ammonia production by intestinal bacteria. Gut, 14, 171. , , ,
- 1978 Diet and cell growth modulation by ammonia. American Journal of Nutrition, 31, S216.
- 1993 Effects of in vitro fermentation of oligofructose and inulin by bacteria growing in the human large intestine. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 75, 373 380. &
- 1982 Dietary fibre, bacterial metabolism and toxicity of nitrate in rat. Xenobiotica, 12, 111 118. , ,