Purification and characterization of a novel protein produced by Bifidobacterium longum SBT2928 that inhibits the binding of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Pb176 (CFA/II) to gangliotetraosylceramide
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 615–621, April 1999
How to Cite
Fujiwara, S., Hashiba, H., Hirota, T. and Forstner, J. F. (1999), Purification and characterization of a novel protein produced by Bifidobacterium longum SBT2928 that inhibits the binding of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Pb176 (CFA/II) to gangliotetraosylceramide. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 615–621. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00705.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 6830/08/98: received 5 August 1998, revised 13 November 1998 and accepted 19 November 1998
- 1990 Purification and characterization of uridine and thymidine phosphorylase from Lactobacillus casei. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 1040, 287–293. , &
- 1987 Non-immunoglobulin fraction of human milk inhibits the adherence of certain enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli strains to guinea pig intestinal tract. Pediatric Research, 22, 130–134. &
- 1981 Bacterial adherence: adhesin–receptor interactions mediating the attachment of bacteria to mucosal surfaces. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 143, 325–345.
- 1993 Inhibition of adhesion of Escherichia coli K88 to piglet ileal mucus by Lactobacillus spp. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 59, 34–39. , &
- 1977 Fecal microbial flora in Seventh Day Adventist populations and control subjects. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 30, 1781–1792. , , , , &
- 1990 Common themes in microbial pathogenicity. Microbiological Reviews, 53, 210–230. &
- 1994 In vitro binding of Bifidobacterium bifidum DSM 20082 to mucosal glycoproteins and hemagglutinating activity. Current Microbiology, 28, 325–330. , &
- 1997 Proteinaceous factor (s) in culture supernatant fluids of bifidobacteria which prevents the binding of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli to gangliotetraosylceramide. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 506–512. , , &
- 1990a Screening for mitogenic activity of food microorganisms and their skim milk culture supernatants. Journal of Japanese Society for Nutrition and Food Science, 43, 203–208(in Japanese). , , &
- 1990b Immunopotentiating effects of Bifidobacterium longum SBT2928 (BL2928) showing mitogenic activity in vitro. Journal of Japanese Society for Nutrition and Food Science, 43, 327–333(in Japanese). , , &
- 1991 Effects of Bifidobacterium longum SBT2928 (BL2928) on spontaneous liver tumorigenesis and intestinal metabolism in gnotobiotic C3H/He male mice. Journal of Japanese Society for Nutrition and Food Science, 44, 261–266(in Japanese). , , , , &
- 1983 The role of pili and capsule in the pathogens of the neonatal infection with E.coli K1. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 148, 395–405. , , et al.
- 1988 Labelling protein antigen. In: Antibodies: a Laborotory Manual, pp. 429–445. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. &
- 1988 Bifidobacteria as a resistance factor in human beings. Bifidobacteria and Microflora, 7, 35–43.
- 1991 Identification of carbohydrate structures as receptors for localised adherent enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. Microbial Pathogenesis, 11, 259–268. , , &
- 1989 Animal glycolsphingolipids as membrane attachment sites for bacteria. Annual Review of Biochemistry, 58, 309–350.
- 1987 Overlay and solid phase analysis of glycolipid receptors for bacteria and viruses. Methods in Enzymology, , Eds. Ginsburg, VVol. 138, pp. 220–232 New York. Academic Press. &
- 1982 Antitumor and immunological adjuvant effect of Bifidobacterium infantis in mice. Bifidobacteria and Microflora, 1, 61–68. , &
- 1996 Therapeutic use of an antibiotic-resistant Bifidobacterium preparation in men exposed to high-dose γ-irradiation. Journal of Medical Microbiology, 44, 70–74. , , , , &
- 1970 Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680–685.
- 1987 Escherichia coli that cause diarrhea: enterotoxigenic, entero-pathogenic, enteroinvasive, enterohemorragic, and enteroadherent. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 155, 377–389.
- 1984 Role of Bifidobacterium in enteric infection. Bifidobacteria and Microflora, 3, 3–9.
- 1986 Interaction of Shigella with Bifidobacteria. Bifidobacteria and Microflora, 5, 51–55. , , , &
- 1990 Identification of asialo GM1 as a binding structure for Escherichia coli colonization factor antigens. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 72, 289–292. , , &
- 1995 Inhibition of S-fimbria-mediated adhesion to human ileostomy glycoproteins by a protein isolated from bovine colostrum. Infection and Immunity, 63, 4917–4920. , &
- 1987 Rapid isoelectric focusing in a vertical polyacrylamide minigel system. Analytical Biochemistry, 167, 290–294. , , &
- 1995 Gut flora in normal and disordered states. Chemotherapy, 41, 5–15. , &
- 1974 Enterotoxin-producing Escherichia coli and diarrheal disease in adult travelers: a prospective study. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 129, 577–582. , , &
- 1990 Rota viruses specifically bind to the neutral glycolipid asialo-GM1. Journal of Virology, 64, 4830–4835. , &
- 1982 Protective effect of Bifidobacterium–monoassociation against lethal activity of Escherichia coli. Bifidobacteria and Microflora, 1, 55–59. , , , &