Dust-borne bacteria in animal sheds, schools and children's day care centres
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2003
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 86, Issue 4, pages 622–634, April 1999
How to Cite
Andersson, A. M., Weiss, N., Rainey, F. and Salkinoja-Salonen, M. S. (1999), Dust-borne bacteria in animal sheds, schools and children's day care centres. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86: 622–634. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00706.x
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2003
- 6906/10/98: received 2 October 1998, revised 11 November 1998 and accepted 19 November 1998
- Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens 1995 Categorisation of Biological Agents According to Hazard and Categories of Containment 4th edn. Suffolk UK: HSE Books.
- 1995 Bacillus thermosphaericus sp. nov. a new thermophilic ureolytic Bacillus isolated from air. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 18, 203–220. , , , , &
- 1998a A novel sensitive bioassay for detection of Bacillus cereus emetic toxin and related depsipeptide ionophores. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64, 1338–1343. , , , &
- 1998b Mitochondrial toxin produced by Streptomyces griseus strains isolated from indoor environment is valinomycin. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64, 4767–4773. , , et al.
- 1997 Bacteria molds and toxins in water damaged building materials. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 387–393. , , et al.
- 1993 The survival of bacteria exposed to desiccation on surfaces associated with farm buildings. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 75, 519–528. , &
- 1995 Factors affecting microbiological colony count accuracy for bioaerosol sampling and analysis. American Industrial Association Journal, 56, 979–986. , , , , &
- 1995 Formation of viable but non-culturable Salmonella during starvation in chemically defined solutions. Letters of Applied Microbiology, 20, 380–384. &
- 1997 Purification and characterization of Staphylococcin BacR1, a broad-spectrum bacteriocin. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 4185–4190. , &
- 1994 Swine confinement buildings. In: Organic Dusts, Exposure, Effects and Prevention (eds Rylander, R. & Jacobs, R), pp. 219–232. London: Lewis Publishers.
- 1995 Influence of various dust sampling and extraction methods on the measurement of airborne endotoxin. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 61, 1763–1769. , , , &
- 1992 Ultrastructure of the endotoxin produced by Gram negative bacteria associated with organic dusts. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 15, 474–485. , , et al.
- 1991 Allergenic and toxigenic micro-organisms in houses. Journal of Applied Bacteriology (Symposium Suppl., 70, 61S–73S. , &
- 1989 Experimental allergic alveolitis after inhalation of mouldy hay. Journal of Clinical Laboratory and Immunology, 30, 81–85. , &
- 1992 Biosyntesen ausgewanten strukturklassen. In: Biochemie der Antibiotika: Struktur-Biosynthese-Wirkmechanismus, pp. 219–318. Heidelberg: Spectrum Akademischer-Verlag GmnH.
- 1997 Bacillus cereus and its food poisoning toxins. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 157, 223–228. &
- 1992 Standard Methods for the Examination of water and Waste Water, pp. 9–33. Washington D.C. American Public Health Association. , &
- 1987 Morphological and biochemical characterization and emended descriptions of thermophilic actinomycetes species. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 9, 97–109. , , &
- 1989 Functions of sphingolipids and sphingolipid breakdown products in cellular regulation. Science, 243, 500–507. &
- 1994 People and work. In: New and Increasing Occupational Diseases in Finland with Special Emphasis on Infectious Diseases. People and Work, Research Reports 1, pp. 188–119. Helsinki, Finland: Finnish Institute of Occupational Health. , , et al.
- 1994 Microorganisms in organic dusts. In: Organic Dusts, Exposure, Effects and Prevention (eds Rylander, R. & Jacobs, R), pp. 87–94. London: Lewis Publishers.
- 1987 Analysis of airborne microbes at sanitary landfills. In: Kemia-Kemi, Volume (11). Abstracts of Finnish Chemical Congress 3–5 (11), 995. , &
- 1997 Farmer's exposure to dusts and gases in modern Finnish cubicle cow houses. Agricultural and Food Science in Finland, 6, 207–217. , , &
- 1984 Lethal and sublethal effects of refrigeration and freeze-drying on microorganisms. in the Revival of Injured Microbes (eds Andrew, M.H. & Russel, A.D), pp. 45–70. London. Academic Press.
- 1990 Health effects of organic dust exposure in dairy farmers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 17, 7–15.
- 1995 Nature, source and toxicity of pollutants of indoor air. In: Indoor Air Quality. Air Quality Monographs, Vol. 3, pp. 155–159. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science. , &
- 1994 Resuscitation of microbial aerosols. In: Atmospheric Microbial Aerosols (eds Lightheart, B. & Mohr, A), pp. 192–225. New York: Chapman & Hall.
- 1994 The medically important aerobic actinomycetes: epidemiology and microbiology. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 7, 357–417. &
- 1987 Mortality among male farmers in Finland during 1979–83. Scandavian Journal of Work and Environmental Health, 13, 124–128. , &
- 1990 Presence of endotoxin in different agricultural environments. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 18, 279–284. , , &
- 1986 Collection of airborne microorganisms on nuclepore filter, estimation and analysis-CAMNEA method. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 61, 401–406. , , &
- 1990 A threshold for airborne endotoxin associated with industrial-scale production of proteins in Gram negative bacteria. Developments in Industrial Microbiology, 31, 199–203. , &
- 1992 16S rDNA analysis of Spirochaeta thermophila: position and implications for the systematics of the order Spirochaetales. Systematic and Applied Microbiology, 16, 224–226. , , &
- 1983 Cross-reactivity between Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv and various Actinomycetes and related organisms. Tubercle, 64, 211–216.
- 1996 Airway responsiveness and chest symptoms after inhalation of endotoxin or (1–3) -β-d-glucan. Indoor and Built Environment, 5, 106–111.
- 1997 Quantitation of ergosterol and 3-hydroxy fatty acids in settled house dust by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry: comparison with fungal culture and determination of endotoxin by a Limulus amebocyte lysate assay. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 2554–2559. , , &
- 1985 Analysis of the chemical composition and primary structure of murein. In Methods in Microbiology, Vol. 18 (ed. G.Gottschalk), pp. 123–156. New York. Academic Press.
- 1984. Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Food (ed. Speck, M.C), pp. 892–893. Baltimore, USA. , &
- 1988 Mycobacteria and immunity. Immunology Today, 6, 178–181. &
- 1994 Phenotypic characterization. In: Methods for General and Molecular Bacteriology (eds Gerhart, P. Murray, R.G. Wood, W.A. & Krieg, N.R), pp. 607–654. Washington, D.C. American Society for Microbiology. &
- 1990 Comparison of the Limulus amebocyte lysate test and gas choromatography–mass spectrometry for measuring lipopolysacharides (endotoxins) in airborne dust from poultry-processing inustries. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 56, 1271–1278. , , , &
- 1995 Effect of impact of stress on microbial recovery on an agar surface. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 61, 1232–1239. , , , , &
- 1994 Respiratory disease. In Farming and Occupational Health in Finland in 1992., eds.Susitaival, P, pp. 91–100. Helsinki, Finland: Social Insurance Institution. , , &
- 1997 Moisture and mould problems in schools and respiratory manifestations in school children: clinical and skin test findings. Acta Pediatrica, 86, 1181–1187. , , , , &
- 1997 Antimycoplasma properties and application in cell culture of surfactin, a lipopeptide antibiotic from Bacillus subtilis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 44–49.
- 1998 Toxin producing Bacillus licheniformis strains in infant food. De Ware (N) Chemicus (Keuringsdienst Van Waren, the Netherlands), 28 (1), 73. , , , &
- 1999 A new rapidly growing mycobacterial species, Mycobacterium murale sp. nov., isolated from the indoor walls of a children's day care center. International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, 49, 25–35. , , et al.
- 1996 Effect of heterogenity of hydrophobic moieties on surface activity of lichenysin A, a lipopeptide biosurfactant from Bacillus licheniformis BAS50. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 23, 13–18. , ,