The protective effects of high amylose maize (amylomaize) starch granules on the survival of Bifidobacterium spp. in the mouse intestinal tract
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 87, Issue 5, pages 631–639, October 1999
How to Cite
Wang, X., Brown, I. L., Evans, A. J. and Conway, P. L. (1999), The protective effects of high amylose maize (amylomaize) starch granules on the survival of Bifidobacterium spp. in the mouse intestinal tract. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 87: 631–639. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00836.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7036/01/99: received 13 January 1999, revised 14 May 1999 and accepted 18 May 1999
- 1989a Biochemical evidence that starch breakdown by Bacteroides thetaiotamicron involves outer membrane starch-binding sites and periplasmic starch-degrading enzymes. Journal of Bacteriology, 171, 3192–3198. &
- 1989b Genetic evidence that outer membrane binding of starch is required for starch utilization by Bacteroides thetaiotamicron. Journal of Bacteriology, 171, 3199–3204. &
- 1992 Fecal recovery in humans of viable Bifidobacterium sp ingested in fermented milk. Gastroenterology, 102, 875–878. , , , , &
- 1993 The Structure of Australia Maize Starch. M.Sc Thesis, University of New England, Australia. Brown, I.L. (1996) Complex carbohydrates and resistant starch. Nutrition Reviews 54, S115–S119.
- 1997 Fecal numbers of bifidobacteria are higher in pigs fed Bifidobacterium longum with a high amylose cornstarch than with a low amylose cornstarch. Journal of Nutrition, 127, 1822–1827. , , , , &
- 1996 Selection criteria for probiotic microorganisms. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 5, 10–14.
- 1956 Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Annals of Biochemistry, 28, 350–356. , , , &
- 1996 Acid adaptation of Listeria monocytogenes can enhance survival in acidic foods and during milk fermentation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 62, 3128–3132. , &
- 1995 Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota-introducing the concept of prebiotics. Journal of Nutrition, 125, 1401–1412. &
- 1980 Enumeration of particle-bound and unattached respiring bacteria in the salt marsh environment. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 40, 156–160. &
- 1977. Anaerobic Laboratory Manual. 4th edn. Blacksburg: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. , &
- 1991 Adhesion of Lactobacillus amylovorus to insoluble and derivatized cornstarch granules. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 57, 1128–1133. &
- 1992 Isolation of amylolytic Bifidobacterium sp. Int-57 and characterization of amylase. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2, 85–91. , , &
- 1982 Contribution of particle-bound bacteria to total microheterotrophic activity in five ponds and two marshes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 43, 200–209. &
- 1995 Genetic marking of Lactococcus lactis shows its survival in the human gastrointestinal tract. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 61, 2771–2774. , &
- 1987 Microbial degradation of nitrilotriacetate (NTA) during riverwater/groundwater infiltraion: laboratory column studies. Water Research, 21, 1237–1248. , , &
- 1986 Starch utilization by the human large intestinal microflora. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 60, 195–201. &
- 1983 An improved colorimetric procedure for determinig apparent and total amylose in cereal and other starches. Journal of Cereal Science, 1, 9–20. &
- 1995 Food processing and maize variety affects amounts of starch escaping digestion in the small intesine. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 61, 82–89. , , , &
- 1994 Microbiological evaluation of jejunal aspirates and faecal samples after oral administration of bifidobacteria and lactic acid bacteria. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 76, 469–474. , , &
- 1998 Probiotic products: should the micro-organisms be viable? Proceedings of Minisymposium on New Developments in Probiotics (ed. Ahokas, J). & Salminen, S, pp. 11–14. RMIT University: Key Centre for Applied and Nutritional Toxicology.
- 1985 Influence of attachment on microbial metabolism and growth in aquatic ecosystem. In: Bacterial Adhesion (ed. Savage, D.C). & Fletcher, M, pp. 363–400. New York: Plenum.
- 1994 Colonic epithelial biology: comparison of resistant starch to soluble and insoluble dietary fibres. Processing of Nutrition Society, 18, 57. , , , , &
- 1965 The fructose-6-phospahte shunt as peculiar pattern of hexose degradation in the genus. Bifidobacterium. Annual Reviews in Microbiology, 15, 19–29. &
- 1986. Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. Baltimore. Williams & Wilkins. , , &
- 1983 Nutriology of Bifidobacteria. Bifidobacteria Microflora, 2, 3–16.
- 1992 Location and characterization of genes involved in binding of starch to the surface of Bacteroides thetaiotamicron. Journal of Bacteriology, 174, 5609–5616. , , &
- 1997 A high amylose (amylomaize) starch raises proximal large bowel starch and increases colon length in pigs. Journal of Nutrition, 127, 615–622. , , , , , , &
- 1999 In vitro utilization of Amylopectin and high-amylose maize (Amylomaize) starch granules by human colonic bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 65, 4848–4854. , , &
- 1998 Acid-sensitive enteric pathogens are protected from killing under extremely acidic conditions of pH2.5 when they are inoculated onto certain solid food sources. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 64, 3882–3886. &