Effect of protective solutes on leakage from and survival of immobilized Lactobacillus subjected to drying, storage and rehydration
Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 87, Issue 3, pages 429–437, September 1999
How to Cite
Selmer-Olsen, E., Birkeland, S. .-E. and Sørhaug, T. (1999), Effect of protective solutes on leakage from and survival of immobilized Lactobacillus subjected to drying, storage and rehydration. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 87: 429–437. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00839.x
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7033/01/99: received 12 January 1999, revised 14 May 1999 and accepted 18 May 1999
- 1996 Preservation microbiology and safety: Evidence that stress enhances virulence and triggers adaptive mutations. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 7, 91 95.
- 1986 The preservation of Lactobacilli: a comparison of three methods. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 2, 69 71. &
- 1985 Salmonella typhimurium proP gene encodes a transport system for the osmoprotectant betaine. Journal of Bacteriology, 164, 1218 1223. , ,
- 1995 Storage of lyophilized cultures of Lactobacillus bulgaricus under different relative humidities and atmospheres. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 44, 172 176. , ,
- 1997 Evidence of membrane damage in Lactobacillus bulgaricus following freeze drying. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 82, 87 94. , ,
- 1987 Stabilization of dry phospholipid bilayers and proteins by sugars. Biochemical Journal, 242, 1 10. , , ,
- 1987 Betaine transport imparts osmotolerance on a strain of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 53, 2275 2281. , ,
- 1987 Bioenergetics of lactic acid bacteria: Cytoplasmic pH and osmotolerance. FEMS Microbiology Reviews, 46, 233 244.
- 1996 Effect of compatible solutes on survival of lactic acid bacteria subjected to drying. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 62, 259 261. , ,
- 1990 Enhancing the viability of Lactobacillus plantarum inoculum by immobilizing the cells in calcium-alginate beads incorporating cryoprotectants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 56, 3112 3116. , ,
- 1993 Dehydration of Lactobacillus acidophilus. Process Biochemistry, 28, 47 52. &
- 1995 Trehalose and sucrose protect both membranes and proteins in intact bacteria during drying. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 61, 3592 3597. , , , ,
- 1994 Convective drying of bacteria. II. Factors influencing survival. Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, 51, 72 89. &
- 1996 Drying of Lactobacillus plantarum. PhD Thesis. Landbouwuniversiteit, Wageningen, The Netherlands. ISBN 90–5485–583–5.
- 1994 Mechanism of dehydration inactivation of Lactobacillus plantarum. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 41, 90 94. , , , ,
- 1993 Industrial use and production of lactic acid bacteria. In Lactic Acid Bacteria (eds Salminen, S. & Von Wright, A), pp. 65 95. New York. Marcell Dekker. &
- 1974 Altered metabolism in a Streptococcus lactis C2 mutant deficient in lactic dehydrogenase. Journal of Dairy Science, 57, 181 186. &
- 1993 Characteristics and osmoregulatory roles of uptake systems for proline and glycine betaine in Lactococcus lactis. Journal of Bacteriology, 175, 5438 5444. , , , ,
- 1991. Design and Analysis of Experiments. 3rd edn. John Wiley, New York.
- 1995 The effective diffusion coefficient and the distribution constant for small molecules in calcium-alginate gel beads. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 47, 492 500. , , ,
- 1985 Glycine betaine transport in Escherichia coli: Osmotic modulation. Journal of Bacteriology, 161, 393 401. &
- 1996 Lactococcus lactis and stress. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek, 70, 243 251. , ,
- 1993 Sublethal injury, bacteriocins, and food microbiology. ASM News, 59, 285 291.
- 1991 Salt stress on growth and acid production of Lactobacillus helveticus strain milano. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 12, 207 211.
- 1996 Effect of drying medium on the viability of dried Lactobacillus helveticus CNRZ 303 immobilized in Ca-alginate beads. In: Immobilized Cells: Basics and Applications (eds Wijffels, R.H. Buitelaar, R.M. Bucke, C. & Tramper, J), pp. 229 235. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science. , , ,
- 1974 Protective effect of fortified skim milk as suspending medium for freeze drying of different lactic acid bacteria. Journal of Food Science, 39, 641 642. , ,
- 1990 Alginate as immobilization matrix for cells. Trends in Biotechnology, 8, 71 78. &
- 1987 Back extrusion of non-newtonian fluids. Food Technology, 41, 72 77. &
- 1992 Temperature control. In: Encyclopedia of Microbiology, Vol. 4(eds Lederberg, J.), pp. 201 211. San Diego: Academic Press.
- 1996 Alginate gels – Some structure-function correlations relevant to their use as immobilization matrix for cells. In: Immobilized Cells: Basics and Applications (eds Wijffels, R.H. Buitelaar, R.M. Bucke, C. & Tramper, J), pp. 19 30. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science. , ,
- 1997 Characterization of an intracellular oligopeptidase from Lactobacillus paracasei. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 1284 1287. , ,
- 1983a Comparative study of the efficiency of some additives in protecting lactic acid bacteria against freeze-drying. Cryobiology, 20, 560 566. , , ,
- 1983b Protective effect of adonitol on lactic acid bacteria subjected to freeze-drying. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 45, 302 304. , , ,
- 1985a Effect of drying medium on residual moisture content and viability of freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 49, 413 415. , , ,
- 1985b Effect of rehydration temperature on the survival of freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria. Milchwissenschaft, 40, 147 148. , , ,