Water quality and public health in northern Sudan: a study of rural and peri-urban communities
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 87, Issue 5, pages 676–682, October 1999
How to Cite
Musa, H. A., Shears, P., Kafi, S. and Elsabag, S. K. (1999), Water quality and public health in northern Sudan: a study of rural and peri-urban communities. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 87: 676–682. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00907.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7153/04/99: received 6 April 1999, revised 16 June 1999 and accepted 28 June 1999
- Anonymous.a a 1994 The Microbiology of Water 1994. Part 1: Drinking Water. Report on Public Health and Medical Subjects, No. 71. London: HMSO.
- 1978 Water-health relationships in Sudan. Effluent and Water Treatment Journal, 18, 559–569. &
- 1987 The relationship between rainfall and well water pollution in a West African (Gambian) village. Journal of Hygiene, 83, 143–150. &
- 1987 The bacteriological quality of traditional water sources in north-eastern Imo State, Nigeria. Epidemiology and Infection, 99, 429–437. , , , , &
- 1987 Water supply and sanitation: an agenda for research. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 92, 301–314.
- 1987 Water use and health in Mireda, Mozambique. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 81, 51–54. &
- 1982 Intra-familial transmission of Vibrio cholerae in Calcutta slums. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 76, 814–819. , &
- 1982 The sanitary condition of rural drinking water in a Nile Delta village. Journal of Hygiene, 88, 63–67. , , &
- 1980 Bacterial standards for drinking water quality in developing countries. Lancet, 2, 255–256.
- 1990 Transmission of diarrhoea in two crowded areas with different sanitary facilities in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 93, 121–126. &
- 1993 Haemorrhagic colitis epidemic in Africa. Lancet, 1, 961. , , , , &
- 1993 Water, sanitation and diarrhoea; the limits of understanding. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 87 (Suppl. 3), 43–46.
- 1983 Identification of strains isolated as total and faecal coliforms and comparisons of both groups as indicators of faecal pollution in tropical climates. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 29, 681–693.
- 1976 Failure of sanitary wells to protect against cholera and other diarrhoeas in Bangladesh. Lancet, 2, 86–89. , , &
- 1985 Bacteriological methods for distinguishing between human and animal faecal pollution of water; results of fieldwork in Nigeria and Zimbabwe. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, 63, 773–783. &
- 1975 Water quality in Kiambu District, Kenya. East African Medical Journal, 52, 269–276. &
- 1978 Bacteriological studies on Amazonas, Mississippi and Nile Waters. Archives Hydrobiologica, 81, 445–461. &
- 1995 Water sources and environmental transmission of multiply resistant enteric bacteria in rural Bangladesh. Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, 89, 297–303. , , &
- 1966 Drinking water source, mortality and diarrhoea morbidity among young children in northern Ghana. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 1, 334–341. , , , , &
- 1978 Water supply and nutritional status in rural northern Nigeria. Transaction of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 72, 239–243. , , &
- WHO 1985. Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, 3. Geneva: WHO.
- 1986 The seasonality of the bacterial quality of drinking water in Sierra Leone. Journal of Hygiene, 96, 75–82.
- 1987 A case-control study of the effect of environmental sanitation on diarrhoea morbidity in Malawi. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 42, 83–88. &