Distribution and seasonality of microbial indicators and thermophilic campylobacters in two freshwater bathing sites on the River Lune in northwest England
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 87, Issue 6, pages 822–832, December 1999
How to Cite
Obiri-Danso, K. and Jones, K. (1999), Distribution and seasonality of microbial indicators and thermophilic campylobacters in two freshwater bathing sites on the River Lune in northwest England. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 87: 822–832. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.1999.00924.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7250/05/99: received 21 May 1999, revised 14 July 1999 and accepted 22 July 1999
- 1993 Relationship between number of saprophytic and faecal coliform bacteria and particle-size of river sediment. Archiv Fur Hydrobiologie, 1, S101 SI1 23 34.
- Anonymous.a a 1976 Council Directive concerning the quality of bathing water. (76/160/EEC). Official Journal of the European Communities no. L 31/1–7.
- Anonymous.a a 1992. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater 18th Edn, Apha/awwa/WPCF, ed. Greenberg, A.E., Clesceri, L.S. & Eaton, A.D. Baltimore, Washington, D.C. American Public Health Association.
- 1988 Fate of organisms from manure point loading into rangeland stream. ASAE Paper 88–2081. St Joseph, MI: American Society of Agricultural Engineers. , ,
- 1987 A study of thermophilic campylobacters in a river system. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 62, 167 176. , , ,
- 1987 Seasonal occurrence of Campylobacter spp. in surface waters and their correlation with standard indicator bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 53, 523 526. , , ,
- 1967 Seasonal variations in survival of indicator bacteria in soil and their contribution to storm-water pollution. Applied Microbiology, 15, 1362 1370. , ,
- 1979 Bacteriological quality of runoff water from pasture land. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 37, 985 991. &
- 1992 Instability of faecal coliform populations in waters and bottom sediments at recreational beaches in Arizona. Water Research, 26, 979 988. , , , ,
- Environment Agency 1998 Bathing Water Quality in England and Wales 1998: A Summary Report. Bristol: Environment Agency.
- 1995 Influence of freshwater sediments on the survival of Escherichia coli and Salmonella sp. as measured by 3 methods of enumeration. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 20, 277 281. &
- 1985 Indicator bacteria in water and stream sediments near the snowy range in southern Wyoming. Water, Air, Soil Pollution, 25, 133 144. &
- 1976 Effects of sediments on the survival of Escherichia coli in marine waters. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 32, 114 120. &
- 1994 Monitoring of selected bacteria and fungi in sand and seawater along the Tel-Aviv coast. Microbios, 77, 29 40. , , , ,
- 1997 Faecal streptococci as indicators of faecal contamination in water. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 83 (Suppl.), 110S 119S. , ,
- 1988 Quantitative and qualitative investigations on Campylobacter in a sewage treatment plant. Zentralbatt Fur Bakteriologie Reihe B, 185, 326 330.
- 1996 Effect of sediment particle size and temperature on faecal bacteria mortality-rates and the faecal coliform/faecal streptococci ratio. Journal of Environmental Quality, 25, 1216 1220. , ,
- 1991 Seasonal changes in the sanitary bacterial quality of water draining a small upland catchment in the Yorkshire Dales. Water Research, 25, 447 453. &
- 1982 The effect of cattle grazing on indicator bacteria in runoff from a Pacific north west watershed. Journal of Environmental Quality, 11, 621 627. , , ,
- 1990 Thermophilic campylobacters in surface waters around Lancaster, U.K. & negative correlation with Campylobacter infections in the community. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 69, 758 764. , ,
- 1996 Campylobacters and faecal indicators in streams and rivers subject to farm run-off. In: Campylobacters, Helicobacters, and Related Organisms (eds Newell, D.G. Ketley, J.M). & Feldman, R.A., pp. 123 128. New York: Plenum Press. &
- 1999 Intermittent shedding of thermophilic campylobacters by sheep at pasture. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86, 531 536. , ,
- 1989 Bathing waters and health studies. Water Services, March, 1989, 87 89. &
- 1999 Non-compliance of beaches with the, E.U., Directives on bathing water quality: evidence of non-point sources of pollution in Morecambe Bay. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86 (Suppl.), 101S 107S. &
- 1980 Reduction of coliform bacteria in two upland reservoirs: the significance of distance decay relationships. Water Research, 14, 305 318. &
- 1983 A prospective epidemiological study of campylobacters from a river system and adjoining meadow. In: Campylobacter II, eds. Pearson, A.D., Skirraw, M.B., Rowe, B.J., Davies, J.R. & Jones, D.M., pp. 167 168. London: Public Health Laboratory Service.
- 1982 Campylobacter from water. In: Campylobacter: Epidemiology, Pathogenesis and Biochemistry (ed. Newell, D).G, pp. 281 284. Lancaster: MPT Press. , ,
- 1995 Methods for the detection of Campylobacter in sewage: Evaluation of efficacy of enrichment and isolation media, applicability of polymerase chain reaction and latex agglutination assay. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 23, 309 313. , , , ,
- 1994 Survey of Campylobacter spp. in sewage plants in the Netherlands. Food Microbiology, 11, 65 69. , , , ,
- 1991a Comparison of the survival of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in culturable form in surface water. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 37, 530 533. &
- 1991b Survival of Escherichia coli and Campylobacter jejuni in untreated and filtered lake water. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 71, 379 382. &
- 1997 Evaluation of dietary influences on Escherichia coli 0157: H7 shedding by sheep. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 63, 3878 3886. , , , ,
- 1980 Relationships between environmental factors, bacterial indicators, and the occurrence of enteric viruses in estuarine sediments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 39, 588 596. , , , , ,
- Lancashire County Council 1990 Lancashire a Green Audit – a First State of the. Environment Report, pp. 65 90. England: County Planning Department, Leyland Printing Company.
- 1992 Influence of the faecal pollution of marine-sediments on the microbial content of shellfish. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 24, 342 349. , , , , ,
- 1989 Evaluation of different plating media used in the isolation of salmonellas from environmental samples. Journal of Applied Bacteriology, 66, 353 360. , , , , ,
- NRA 1996. Bathing Water Quality in England and Wales 1995. National Rivers Authority Water Quality Series no. 27. London: HMSO.
- 1999a The effect of a new sewage treatment plant on faecal indicator numbers, campylobacters and bathing water compliance in Morecambe Bay. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 86, 603 614. &
- 1999b Intertidal sediments as reservoirs for hippurate negative campylobacters, salmonellae and faecal indicators in three EU recognised bathing waters in North West England. Water Research, 34, 519 527. &
- 1985 Longitudinal study of the occurrence, biotype and serogroup of Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli isolations from environmental sources in southern England between 1977 and 1985. In: Campylobacter III, eds. Pearson A D., Skirrow, MB., Lior, H& Rowe, B., pp. 281 282. London: Public Health Laboratory Service. , , ,
- 1988 Resuspending organisms from a rangeland stream bottom. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 31, 1217 1222. , , ,
- 1992 Indicator bacterial survival in stream sediments. Journal of Environmental Quality, 21, 591 595. , , ,
- 1987 Distribution of indicator bacteria and Vibrio parahaemolyticus in sewage-polluted intertidal sediments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 53, 1756 1761. , , et al.
- 1979 Effect of waterfowl (Anas platyrhynchos) on indicator bacteria populations in a recreational lake in Madison, Wisconsin . Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 38, 547 550. , , ,
- 1998 Thermophilic campylobacters in dairy slurries of Lancashire farms: seasonal effects of storage and land application. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 85, 405 408. , ,
- 1991 A study of Campylobacter in sewage, sewage sludge and in river water. Water Science and Technology, 24, 117 120. &
- 1982 Bottom sediments: a reservoir of Escherichia coli in rangeland streams. Journal of Range Management, 35, 119 123. &
- 1994 The presence of Salmonella in coastal North-Sea waters and their hygienic relation to indicator bacteria and sources of contamination. Zentralblatt Fur Hygiene und Umweltmedizin, 195, 495 508. &
- 1991 Faecal-coliform loadings and stocks in Buttermilk Bay, Massachusetts, USA, and management implications. Environmental Management, 15, 659 674. , ,
- 1994 An assessment of the impact of inland surface water input to the bacteriological quality of coastal waters. Journal of the Institution of Water and Environmental Management, 6, 459 467. , , , ,
- 1989 Prevalence of Campylobacter jejuni in selected domestic and wild birds in Louisiana. Avian Diseases, 33, 664 667. , ,