One explanation for the variability of the bacterial suspension test
Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Volume 88, Issue 2, pages 237–242, February 2000
How to Cite
Johnston, M. D., Simons, E. .-A. and Lambert, R. J. W. (2000), One explanation for the variability of the bacterial suspension test. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 88: 237–242. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.00951.x
- Issue online: 25 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 25 DEC 2001
- 7196/04/99: received 28 April 1999, revised 27 August 1999 and accepted 7 September 1999
- Anonymous.a a 1934. Technique for Determining the Rideal-Walker Coefficient of Disinfectants. British Standard 541. London: British Standards Institution.
- Anonymous.a a 1974. Appraisal of Disinfectants and Combined Disinfectants and Cleaning Agents Intended for Use in the Food Industry. Hogweg, Den Hague: Phytopharmacy Commission, Nederlandse.
- Anonymous.a a 1993 Chemical antiseptics and disinfectants – basic bactericidal activity-test method and requirement. Provisional European Norm – Pren 1040. London: British Standards Institution.
- Anonymous.a a 1996 Chemical disinfectants and antiseptics – quantitative suspension test for the evaluation of bactericidal activity of chemical disinfectants and antiseptics used in food, industrial, domestic and institutional areas-test method and requirements. European Committee for Standardisation, prEN 1276, CEN/TC 216 N 109.
- 1966 The absorption by Escherichia coli of phenols and their bactericidal activity. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 18, 107S 113S. &
- 1967 Kinetics and mechanism of bacterial disinfection by chlorine dioxide. Applied Microbiology, 15, 257 265. , , ,
- 1908 An investigation into the laws of disinfection. Journal of Hygiene, 8, 92 158.
- 1981 Disinfectant testing — with particular reference to the Rideal Walker and Kelsey Sykes Tests. In: Disinfectants: Their Use and Evaluation of Effectiveness (eds Collins, C.H. Allwood, M.C. Bloomfield, S.F). & Fox, A, pp. 1 15. Society of Applied Bacteriology Technical Series 16. London: Academic Press.
- 1972 Kinetics of chlorine disinfection in an ecosystem. Journal of the Environmental Division of the American Society of Civil Engineering 98 (SA1), 183–194.
- 1897 Die chemischen Grundlagen der Lehre von der Giftwirkung und Desinfection. Zeitschrift Fur Hygiene, 25, 1 112. &
- 1998 Disinfectant testing: use of the Bioscreen Microbiological Growth Analyser for laboratory biocide screening. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 26, 288 292. , ,
- 1918 On the application of the mass law to the process of disinfection – being a contribution to the ‘mechanistic theory’ as opposed to the ‘vitalistic theory’. Journal of Physical Chemistry, 22, 348 372. &
- 1907 Zur theorie der Desinfektion. Zeitschrift Fur Hygiene, 57, 388 395. &
- 1911 The application of certain laws of physical chemistry in the standardization of disinfectants. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 8, 27 38.
- 1908 A note on the variation of the rate of disinfection with change in the concentration of the disinfectant. Journal of Hygiene, 8, 536 542.
- 1991 Kinetics of the inactivation of micro-organisms. In: Disinfection, Sterilisation and Preservation (ed. Block, S).S, pp. 72 84. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger. &
- 1942a The significance of the variation in shape of time survivor curves. Journal of Hygiene, 42, 124 183.
- 1942b The evaluation of bactericides. Journal of Hygiene, 42, 339 353.